Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mystery Missing Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2023, 01:24 PM
RuneDest
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mystery Missing Bolt

Hey there! I'm currently knee deep in replacing the starter and AOS on my 06 Cayman S and noticed an oily spot with a suspiciously clean spot for a bolt.. I've owned the car for just about a year and this is my first time under the hatch doing anything other than an oil change. I'm not entirely certain what this bolt could be or what it's connected to. I attempted to find some diagrams online to help me narrow it down but I cant seem to figure it out. Any ideas would be helpful!

Old 12-09-2023, 03:26 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RuneDest
Hey there! I'm currently knee deep in replacing the starter and AOS on my 06 Cayman S and noticed an oily spot with a suspiciously clean spot for a bolt.. I've owned the car for just about a year and this is my first time under the hatch doing anything other than an oil change. I'm not entirely certain what this bolt could be or what it's connected to. I attempted to find some diagrams online to help me narrow it down but I cant seem to figure it out. Any ideas would be helpful!
I dont think that is a bolt, I think that is where a plastic push in cable tie was at one point.
The following users liked this post:
RuneDest (12-09-2023)
Old 12-09-2023, 05:36 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 302 Posts

I'm trying to get my bearings. It looks like you have removed the large "tee" that contains the throttle mechanism? I have attached a picture of the engine looking rearward-ish where the AC compressor goes. There is a tapped hole (for 1 of the AC compressor mounting bolts) there and right next to it a blind hole, that is not tapped and goes nowhere. As I can see in your picture, the hole I am talking about is very near the ~1/2" dia metal line that tees downward into the top of the head. That line is for the secondary air injection. The AC compressor is not installed in this photo, otherwise it would hide the hole I think you are asking about.

If you are replacing the AOS, I highly recommend you replace the two plastic corrugated lines that attach to it. They can be cracked but you wouldn't be able to see it. A crack in one of these lines could certainly drizzle oily fluid. Worse would be if that hardline for the Secondary Air is cracked or the connection to the top of the block is leaking.

You might want to read my article here, if you are new to these engines.

https://newhillgarage.com/2023/12/01...nd-components/

Picture of my 2007 CS

Last edited by harveyf; 12-09-2023 at 05:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RuneDest (12-09-2023)
Old 12-09-2023, 06:14 PM
RuneDest
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info! The website and videos were a big help with understanding the layout in a more meaningful manner. I've got the corrugated lines on order already as I noticed the top one to the intake was looking worse for wear. I'll dig in to investigate the oil leak. Nothing under the car thankfully but I'm glad i'm spotting it now!

As for direction, the photo is taken from the passenger side above the starter if that helps any

PS: I plan to clean the engine bay once it's buttoned up, I promise!
Old 12-09-2023, 07:12 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 302 Posts

Well, welcome to Rennlist!!!

If the inside of your exposed intake tubes was a little oily, then you may have had a little bit spill out. Less likely, as the car would not run well, is that one of the rubber connector boots is torn at the bottom and seeping fluid. There shouldn't be oil in there but the fact that you are replacing the AOS could indicate that some oily air is getting by.

The engine bay on a Cayman is one giant dust magnet!

Quick Reply: Mystery Missing Bolt