Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Bulbs for Side Markers 987.1

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2023, 06:27 AM
nate5150
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default LED Bulbs for Side Markers 987.1

Easiest thing I've ever done to the car was to upgrade the amber/yellow colored plastic case side markers with these: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/987Sides.html

The factory bulbs were clear and the new ones above came with amber bulbs. I chose to keep the original white bulbs and used them with the new clear side marker housings. These do not act as turn signals so it is "legal" to have them be white and not amber in color.

Does anyone know of LED BULBS that will fit into the base of these, something a bit brighter than the little bulb? Has anyone used LED bulbs in each side marker and got them working with no codes or errors?
Old 12-21-2023, 02:10 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

Mine had them in when I bought it. The car would consistently tell me the bulbs were blown out. I went back to amber incandescent bulbs with clear marker lenses from Pelican. The clear lens have really come down in price too. $50 each I think and that included the amber bulbs
Old 12-21-2023, 02:17 PM
ClemCLone
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by nate5150
Does anyone know of LED BULBS that will fit into the base of these, something a bit brighter than the little bulb? Has anyone used LED bulbs in each side marker and got them working with no codes or errors?
I got these from Amazon. They fit well, but they are BRIGHT.
Amazon Amazon
Old 12-22-2023, 05:32 PM
nate5150
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I am looking for the LED BULB which I believe is a T10 but I'm not sure if the car would throw a fit by not seeing the right lamp there...
Old 12-22-2023, 06:36 PM
ClemCLone
Racer

Originally Posted by nate5150
I am looking for the LED BULB which I believe is a T10 but I'm not sure if the car would throw a fit by not seeing the right lamp there...
I've used superbright before
https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehi...oxster-5586916
Yeah, you may need a parallel resistor
The whole assembly ones I got from Amazon work as OEM
Old 01-26-2024, 05:44 PM
RJH_MUSIC
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Last fall I purchased a lot of lighting from LAS FIT and couldn't be happier. I replaced the HID bulbs as well as the High Beams with 600k 3y watt bulbs, and what a difference. Also replaced all interior lighting with led as well as both Front and Rear Fog. For the front parking lights, I replaced them with amber white led and they look awesome. Best upgrade was with the front fog lights. I purchased a 2 stage led light for those. First click on 60ok daylight, second click on true amber fog light. Awesome all around. I only wish I could change the instrument cluster bulbs because they are dull around 2700k but found out that I cannot on 2005 987.1 because the led cluster lightbulbs are surface mount LED's too much a PITA.
Old 01-26-2024, 08:02 PM
ClemCLone
Racer

Originally Posted by RJH_MUSIC
Last fall I purchased a lot of lighting from LAS FIT and couldn't be happier.
No problems with the CAN-BUS?
I tried some on my '05 from SuperBightLED's, brake, tail, turns, etc and they totally messed up the CAN
Old 01-26-2024, 08:38 PM
RJH_MUSIC
Intermediate

Not one. Very smooth. Here are some pics.

Interior

Parking only

Low beams no fog

Low beams first click fog

Low beams second click fog (second click means just turn off and back on) each time they switch

High beams fog off and parking
Old 01-26-2024, 08:46 PM
RJH_MUSIC
Intermediate

I did a few other mods you can see in the photos. I added the pccm+ with gps and then installed the steering wheel controls and control module. Added custom shift **** and front bumper grills. The only thing I need to do to this car yet to get it the way I want it is install the chronograph stopwatch and new dashboard to fit. Waiting for warmer weather to do that install. That’s going to be a little tricky because I’ve never attempted to take a dashboard off before. The only other thing I’d love to do to this car, because I understand they did make them and I did find one is swapped out the five speed manual for a six speed manual. The problem is for the very slight gain reduction in RPMs in the 6th gear it’s not worth the money. So I think after I do the chronograph dashboard mod I’m just gonna sit back and enjoy it.
Old 01-26-2024, 08:51 PM
RJH_MUSIC
Intermediate

Oh and I also switched out the instrument cluster faceplate with a white on black one that the Boxster S has.

Quick Reply: LED Bulbs for Side Markers 987.1