Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do y'all learn how to wrench on your cars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 04:27 PM
zamborg
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do y'all learn how to wrench on your cars?

I've had my 987.1 for almost a year now and I've been doing small maintenance items myself. Oil changes etc are actually the easy part because they're pretty simple. However, my right windshield washer sprayer is not pumping with the force required and so I want to replace the module. I took it out and cleaned it to no avail sadly.

Replacing the module seems relatively simple I just have to pop it out and replace it; but for bigger ticket items it makes me wonder how the hell I'm supposed to figure out what to do.

Any thoughts? I'm somewhat mechanically inclined and work as an engineer but my education and skillset doesn't really intersect with working on my car. I just bought a Miata and figured that would be my practice car but getting into this is a little daunting!

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Is there a mechanic manual for my car I can buy?
Old 01-05-2024, 04:30 PM
Spyder_2011
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 94 Posts

I’ve often searched for repairs on YouTube and on Forums as someone has likely done it already and hopefully documented it. If you know anyone locally with the same car that is mechanically inclined you could also glean information from them and or ask for their help.

These cars aren’t really difficult to work on, the hardest part is dealing with frozen fasteners and or brittle plastic as the cars start getting older.
The following 3 users liked this post by Spyder_2011:
dave_987 (01-06-2024), RennHarry (01-14-2024), scootr (01-06-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 05:04 PM
XuTVJet
Instructor

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

YouTube is by far the best plus lots of online research and various Porsche forums. The "Porsche 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster" book is also decent https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...987C&DID=22659

These cars are pretty easy to pull apart and work on. The key is not forcing anything and understanding how things are removed and put back together. You often have to remove many parts and panels to get to part in question.

The right tools is also a big part of it too. Lots of 1/4" and 3/8" metric sockets, swivels, extensions, specialty wrenches, e-Torx and Torx bits and sockets, triple square sockets, ratcheting wrenches, various LED flashlights, etc. I also use an electric Milwaukee ratchet and light duty impact which saves a lot of time and my hands.
The following 4 users liked this post by XuTVJet:
dave_987 (01-06-2024), RennHarry (01-14-2024), scootr (01-06-2024), Winnetka (01-06-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 05:04 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

Yes, get the factory service manual: you can either get a subscription to AlldataDIY (it has the whole thing) or you might be able to find a copy online (yarrr matey). As noted there's a ton of other info online: between the forums and YouTube someone else has almost certainly done the job you're planning to do. If you're mechanically inclined if you have the instructions and the right tools then generally you can figure out most jobs. Some of them might take you a while at first, but you're not getting paid for this and it's not a race so don't worry about that.

In my experience the main thing is that you're interested in doing it so that you give it appropriate focus and effort. The second thing is not to be scared of breaking things or making mistakes: that's part of the process. Work carefully and attentively, but know that any time you're starting something new you're going to make mistakes. You're not working on the Mona Lisa here: it's a mass-market car and pretty much anything you screw up can be fixed. Worst case, you get stuck and take the car to a pro to sort things out...it ain't the end of the world. As a buddy of mine said, "What are you scared of? It's already broke, what are you going to do, break it worse?"

My last piece of advice is buy good tools (at least, for anything that you're going to use with any regularity) and definitely "buy once, cry once". The surest way to get frustrated is trying to do a job with the tools you have rather than the tools you should have for it.

Good luck, ask lots of questions, and try to have fun with it. There's a lot of power in being able to fix your own stuff, I find.
The following users liked this post:
dave_987 (01-06-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 05:10 PM
zamborg
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is great!

I'm away for the winter from the car so it gets to be a baby in the garage while my family runs it every so often. But I'm prepping for the summer where I have a couple projects in mind.

First on the list is a FULL dynamat + sound insulation application. The car is wonderful but I do spend enough time on longhaul highway drives (I don't commute for work thankfully but long roadtrips up/down the cali coast) really beget some sound isolation. Thankfully for this I don't think I'll need any major tools it'll just be a lot of wiggling out plastic clips!
Old 01-05-2024, 06:42 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 302 Posts

I agree youtube can be your friend. For when you get ready to pull out the interior, put the link below in your Favorites.

https://newhillgarage.com/2022/09/28...moval-refresh/
The following 2 users liked this post by harveyf:
365jon (01-08-2024), dave_987 (01-06-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 07:28 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by zamborg
This is great!

I'm away for the winter from the car so it gets to be a baby in the garage while my family runs it every so often. But I'm prepping for the summer where I have a couple projects in mind.

First on the list is a FULL dynamat + sound insulation application. The car is wonderful but I do spend enough time on longhaul highway drives (I don't commute for work thankfully but long roadtrips up/down the cali coast) really beget some sound isolation. Thankfully for this I don't think I'll need any major tools it'll just be a lot of wiggling out plastic clips!
Save yourself a lot of time and work by getting some nice foam earplugs! 😉

As others have mentioned, these cars are pretty straightforward to work on. They are designed for efficient assembly and therefore relatively efficient disassembly.

I learned a bit as a kid with my dad, and then later just by trial and error. And that was before YouTube! Just know that you are very unlikely to permanently disable the car unless you are truly careless.
dave_987 (01-06-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 07:40 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 302 Posts

Actually, although @vitaminC threw in the smiley face, I have to agree. On longer trips, I just pop in my noise cancelling earbuds. You can still hear all the important sounds but, along with bluetooth streaming from my phone with my favorite tunes, it makes things quite quiet in the cockpit.
Most of the noise is coming from the engine compartment. You are probably not going to Dynamat your way out of that. The OEM covers (carpet backed with very thick,heavy noise dampening material) are already better than any Dynamat product I've seen. BTW, if yours are damaged or something, new ones can be had from Porsche.
dave_987 (01-06-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 08:58 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by harveyf
Actually, although @vitaminC threw in the smiley face, I have to agree. On longer trips, I just pop in my noise cancelling earbuds. You can still hear all the important sounds but, along with bluetooth streaming from my phone with my favorite tunes, it makes things quite quiet in the cockpit.
Exactly! I do the same in my Boxster.
dave_987 (01-06-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 12:29 AM
dave_987
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I like this thread. I’ve been fortunate to learn to wrench on cars from the 60’s and 70’s, but todays cars are so different and at times I’m apprehensive about messing up my 987.1 that means so much to me - I can relate. You have so many good responses. The only thing I can add is that I picked up a used Bentley manual for the 986. I know there were changes with the 987, but there are also things that are the same or similar - it’s another resource. The other thing I tell myself is that I’m never the first one to run into a problem - so many people before me have had the same issue, and figured it out. That’s what makes the internet so powerful.

Last edited by dave_987; 01-06-2024 at 12:31 AM.
Old 01-06-2024, 12:58 AM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts

Incrementally. One project at a time. Do some easy stuff. Oil changes. Brakes.

Get good at getting the car up on jack stands (safely).

Then do something more advanced - maybe gearbox fluid change.

Then take on spark plugs.

Next thing you know you’ll do the engine belt.

Pretty soon you’ll be ready for the big one - new shifter and shift cables.

/
The following 3 users liked this post by fatmike:
dave_987 (01-06-2024), dmteter (01-06-2024), The Duke (01-12-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 08:42 AM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by vitaminC
Save yourself a lot of time and work by getting some nice foam earplugs! 😉
If you got some extra money kicking around go to a hearing aid store/audiologist and get some custom fitted ear plugs. You can get them with and with out filters. I have a few sets and they are great. I use them for hotels, airplanes, work, power tools, power sports, and even when using a hammer.
The following 2 users liked this post by old man neri:
dave_987 (01-06-2024), harveyf (01-06-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 10:36 AM
audi49
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

Similar to what others have already said…
Start small and over time you’ll collect more and more knowledge, tools, and confidence. The first ‘significant’ service I did was brakes on my 1998 Audi A4 about 15 years ago. Since then I’ve grown in my mind to be willing to tackle almost anything. To the point that I built a garage and have a lift. 😊. It’s my definite #1 hobby.
Key is preparation- review the procedure before you start (manuals, YouTube’s, etc).
good luck!
The following 4 users liked this post by audi49:
dave_987 (01-06-2024), fatmike (01-06-2024), harveyf (01-06-2024), zamborg (01-06-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 11:02 AM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

I'll be the first to say Don't use YouTube as your primary source of information....

Honestly 9 times out of 10 the person making the video is documenting the first time time they tackle the the task... and often get it wrong.. They may end up with the goal accomploshed, but often bend/break stuff (like plastic clips). Or don't torque or calibrate things.

Find a good service manual. Occasionally you can find used copies of the factory manuals. If not factory, all data is pretty good.

Goto the manual first, use YouTube to back that up. If they manual says to remove and you can't quite figure it out which one, YouTube is great to actually see it done... but for the overall proceedure, trust the manual...

As otheres have said, these cars are great to work on, Porsche does a fantastic job of making things serviceable.... the proceedure may be long, but its never difficult... if you find yourself bending things, you are doing it wrong.... go back to the manual.
The following 5 users liked this post by jscott82:
365jon (02-03-2024), audi49 (01-06-2024), harveyf (01-06-2024), sasilverbullet (01-10-2024), zamborg (01-06-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 02:37 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 641 Likes on 478 Posts

All good advice above. The only thing I'd add is to get a friend with a Porsche, or who likes general wrenching, and work through things together. RL is a great place for help and advice, but also see if you can find folks local to you that are willing to jump in with help or advice. Your local PCA chapter will have a wide variety of members and you can almost certainly find someone there that's willing to help.

Even if it's not 987-specific, the engineering lineage on these cars can be seen all the way from the 944 (at least), and so folks with older cars can also be valuable sources of information.

Good luck

Quick Reply: How do y'all learn how to wrench on your cars?