Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Numeric vs Function First vs Ben Auto Design Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 05:25 PM
FindingRush
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Numeric vs Function First vs Ben Auto Design Shifters

I picked up a 2008 Boxster RS 60 Spyder back in December and love everything about it except for the stock shifter. I read dozens of threads and decided to stick to OEM and installed the Porsche 997 SSK (First DIY project on this car). It was an immediate improvement over the 15 year old stock shifter with its worn plastics. But, it's still not as crisp and tight as I want it to be. The shift action is still a bit vague, especially going from 2-3 and I don't enjoy the side to side play when it's in gear. Probably should have started this thread and took some more time making the right decision before dumping money into the OEM SSK, but oh well.

Now I am trying to find the best shifter for my needs. This is a weekend only car and will be 100% street driven.

$$$ Numeric - https://store.numericracing.com/prod...86-987-996-997

Everything I read about the Numeric shifter points to it being very mechanical and a good choice for heavy track duty or 10/10ths driving. I want the shifter to be smooth and mechanical at the same time if that makes sense, so that the feel is similar to the rest of the car's interaction points (steering, brakes, clutch, and seat). I am not sure if Numeric will fit the personality of my Boxster, as it's not an all out GT or track car.

$$ Function First Shift Right Solution + Slightly Short Shifter (Black or Blue) - https://www.function-first.com/produ...42793782509721

FF recently started offering a short shifter with ball bearing mechanical lever pivot in addition to their SRS kit, which pretty much eliminates all plastic except for the shifter housing. This is what I am leaning to and probably should have gone this route considering it's slightly cheaper than a new OEM SSK. I have to decide between the black (10% shorter than 997) or the blue (23% shorter than 997, but a little longer than oem SSK at 33%).

I get the feeling that this kit will offer the experience I am after. Which is a refined mechanical shift, not too short of a throw, without any fore/aft or side-side play, but without being overtly mechanical/raw like the Numeric.

$ Ben Auto Design Shifter and Side Lever - https://www.uniwerksdesign.com/produ...short-shifter/

Ben is producing his own shifter and side lever instead of modifying the blue eBay SSKs, so this is on my radar. This is the most value oriented option and seems to offer a similar experience to FF with a few exceptions. The shifter sits a little higher, but OEM boot and **** still work with it, not sure how I would feel about the raised shifter ****. And it only comes as a short shifter with a 33% reduction in throw, similar to the OEM SSK.

I am mostly ruling out the Numeric shifter because I just feel it will be too much for a street car and what I am looking for. I am having a tough time deciding between the FF and BAD shifter kit. Hoping to get some opinions on this over discussed topic.

Obligatory pictures of the RS 60 Spyder:

Old 01-25-2024, 05:59 PM
bredward
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I have no input but I am interested in the topic in case my shifter cables let go.

That's a gorgeous car!
The following users liked this post:
FindingRush (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 07:02 PM
Ric In RVA
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Gorgeous RS 60.

I have numeric cables and the ebay shifter. I really like it but it has some parts that I know aren't going to wear well for the left right portion of the shift mechanism. Aluminum on Nylon...one is going to "win" over time and introduce slop.

I plan on adding a bens side lever once that happens.

I also added a Rosewood and birch 917 style **** and I LOVE THAT . It adds a touch of class to the interior that I felt the oem shifter did not do.
Old 01-25-2024, 10:37 PM
FindingRush
Track Day

Thank you!

I will do the Numeric cables eventually, that's why I am thinking combining that with Numeric shifter is too much for a street car. I hear the ebay shifters are very notchy going into first and second gear and the throw is a little too short. This is what worries me about the Ben shifter setup.
Old 01-26-2024, 06:32 AM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

FYI Ben also makes a side lever upgrade similar to FF.
https://www.uniwerksdesign.com/produ...lever-upgrade/

When I went through all this I decided to pass on the numeric cables and just get the updated OEM cables. Although, I recently read a post of the updated OEM ones breaking that is giving me a big of thought.
Old 01-26-2024, 08:14 AM
Ric In RVA
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I've not found the ebay shifter to be notchy and the throw is comparable to my BMW 128i BMW performance short shifter.

I can measure/ video if you'd like.

I think the lack of notchiness is partly due to the numerics and careful installation. It shifts like the proverbial "rifle bolt".
Old 01-26-2024, 02:57 PM
mytime1
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I did full Numeric shifter and cables on my 987.1S which is solely driven on the street and it was one of the best mods I did to the car. Definitely not too much for a street car. It takes some adjusting to get it set up perfectly, but once you do, it is great.
Old 01-26-2024, 03:30 PM
FindingRush
Track Day

Originally Posted by old man neri
FYI Ben also makes a side lever upgrade similar to FF.
https://www.uniwerksdesign.com/produ...lever-upgrade/

When I went through all this I decided to pass on the numeric cables and just get the updated OEM cables. Although, I recently read a post of the updated OEM ones breaking that is giving me a big of thought.
Yup, if i go with Ben, then I would purchase both the short shifter and side lever. I have read that about the updated OEM cables as well, so even with the NVH concern, I'd rather have the peace of mind of using the Numeric cables.
Old 01-26-2024, 03:32 PM
FindingRush
Track Day

Originally Posted by mytime1
I did full Numeric shifter and cables on my 987.1S which is solely driven on the street and it was one of the best mods I did to the car. Definitely not too much for a street car. It takes some adjusting to get it set up perfectly, but once you do, it is great.
Some people say it's too much and some say it's perfect. As with all things, I think it's all about personal preference. I really wish I could drive any Porsche with a Numeric shifter installed atleast to really get the feel for it.

How's the NVH, gear whine?

Quick Reply: Numeric vs Function First vs Ben Auto Design Shifters