Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone fitted the CTEK pgtail that comes out by the wipers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 12:18 PM
M. Essaie
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Anyone fitted the CTEK pgtail that comes out by the wipers?

Seems like cheap insurance against the dead-battery/frunk-cable-pull boondoggle.
Old 02-05-2024, 02:56 PM
SeanPatrick31
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

I’ve done it. Works well. However, it’s also easy enough to just use a CTEK into the cigarette lighter by the shifter. But the pigtails / plug by the wiper works well also.

Sometimes the battery is so dead that neither option will work to electrically pop the frunk.

Last edited by SeanPatrick31; 02-05-2024 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-05-2024, 03:14 PM
Ric In RVA
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes....installed and use all the time.

Old 02-05-2024, 03:19 PM
ONEOFEW
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I've done CTEK direct to battery through the cowl, works well. Just make sure during rainy days or during carwash pigtail isn't exposed, avoid getting it drenched.
Old 02-05-2024, 05:39 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 382 Likes on 238 Posts

I use the cigarette lighter with my CTEK. I don't see the need for pigtails. Why do anything else?

/
Old 02-05-2024, 07:41 PM
M. Essaie
Instructor

RE: "why do anything else"..... While it is true that if confronted with a dead battery I could indeed recharge it via the cigarette lighter and start the car after whatever time interval it required to bring the battery back up. It seems unlikely, however, that a jump start could be achieved via the cigarette lighter but it could be achieved via the pigtail, yes? Thus obviating any need to tinker with the jury-rig/fuse panel method of opening the frunk and accessing the battery for the jump.
Old 02-06-2024, 07:44 AM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Essaie
It seems unlikely, however, that a jump start could be achieved via the cigarette lighter but it could be achieved via the pigtail, yes?
I'm going to go with No. It seems very unlikely you will be able to jump start through either the CTEK battery adapter or cigarette adapter. You can charge your battery back to health through either or attempt to pop your hood. But to jump your car you need some mighty big cables directly to your battery/ground.
Old 02-06-2024, 08:15 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,974 Likes on 2,051 Posts

Originally Posted by old man neri
I'm going to go with No. It seems very unlikely you will be able to jump start through either the CTEK battery adapter or cigarette adapter. You can charge your battery back to health through either or attempt to pop your hood. But to jump your car you need some mighty big cables directly to your battery/ground.
Agreed. You won’t be jumping the car via pigtails. If battery was dead, I’d slowly charge via pigtails or 12v connector inside cabin.
Old 02-06-2024, 08:57 AM
McSwine
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

As an (un)interesting aside, I've had the "low/dead battery, frunk won't open" happen and found out my key fob would open the frunk (after charging a bit) but the switch on the door sill would not.
Old 02-06-2024, 10:13 AM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by McSwine
As an (un)interesting aside, I've had the "low/dead battery, frunk won't open" happen and found out my key fob would open the frunk (after charging a bit) but the switch on the door sill would not.
That doesn't surprise me. I *think* you may get around that by trying to hit the unlock button or put the key in the ignition and power up. Not sure. I do know there is a picture of someone drilling a hole in their hood because they locked their key in there and the battery went dead.

Lastly, there is the cable release in the front left(?) wheel well. Sucks if you left your wheel lock in your trunk instead of glove box.
Old 02-06-2024, 11:24 AM
M. Essaie
Instructor

"found out my key fob would open the frunk (after charging a bit) but the switch on the door sill would not"

This should be more widely known as it is EXACTLY what the manual says to do but I think many people have missed it to their frustration. I've watched a number of misguided youtube dead-battery videos which fail to mention this fact while hammering away at the door sill switch.....

Might be worth a sticky.
Old 02-06-2024, 03:38 PM
RJ80
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Is anyone willing to take a photo of where their CTEK pigtail exits the cowl? I'm using this style because I already have it from a previous car I sold. Currently I'm resting the passenger side frunk lid on the cable, which is deforming the cable a bit (probably not a big issue).

I also tuck the pigtail completely into the battery compartment before shutting the frunk lid and driving the car since it seems to interfere with it shutting and I don't want to damage hood or charger cable. Is there a good place for it to rest outside the battery area where it won't interfere with the lid closing? It's a minor pain having to open the compartment to fish it back out after a drive.

The argument for the interior 12V version seems to be that it's less fiddly to use. The door can close over it without damage (or run it out an open window) and you just unplug and go when it's time to drive. I imagine I can purchase a 12V adapter to use with my existing charger unit?
Old 02-08-2024, 09:55 AM
McSwine
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by old man neri

Lastly, there is the cable release in the front left(?) wheel well. Sucks if you left your wheel lock in your trunk instead of glove box.
Thank you. My wheel lock now resides in my glovebox. Having gone down this road you would have thought I knew better.

Old 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 140 Posts

I've got the Antigravity harness that comes out by the cowl, it plugs into a lithium jump starter that they sell. After having gone through the hassle of dead battery in a locked car, finding out the lock in the driver door is broken (key would not physically open the door), and having to fish out the flimsy cable in the wheel well, I feel like I have some insurance.
Old 02-09-2024, 12:51 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by andy7777
I've got the Antigravity harness that comes out by the cowl, it plugs into a lithium jump starter that they sell. After having gone through the hassle of dead battery in a locked car, finding out the lock in the driver door is broken (key would not physically open the door), and having to fish out the flimsy cable in the wheel well, I feel like I have some insurance.
Thanks for Posting that Andy7777. For those looking for a bit of security when getting into the Frunk, having a Harness that is capable of connecting to your Jump STarter is a massive help because you can electrify the whole Cars system which ensures the Frunk will open and it also makes it so much easier to do than going into the fuse panel and using the RED buss Bar, you simply plug your Mini Jump Starter into the Harness and open the Frunk or Jump Starter the Car. Our Harness works with our Antigravity Batteries MICRO-START units but also works with some other brands like Gooloo and others that have the standard connector we use, but we don't know all the companies that use this connector so check first. WE make several versions of this harness which we call the Clampless Harness that can fit many different Jump STarter Brands, and of course our MICRO-STARTS...

Here an example of one that fits our original XP-10 Jump STarter model and we have a video that shows how it works. https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...s-msa10b-long/

Quick Reply: Anyone fitted the CTEK pgtail that comes out by the wipers?