Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Issue - Head Scratcher

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 02:33 PM
Rumblestrip
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Issue - Head Scratcher

Sorry, I didn't use the search feature for this because I wasn't sure how to phrase it.

So if the car is not running, I can run through the gears just fine, no binding or anything. This is a 2007 Boxster S.

With the car running, when you push the clutch in, it will not go into gear. If you really push on the shifter, the car tries to move a bit, however it will not engage. I'm guessing there is a problem with the clutch master cylinder, but as this is my first Porsche and first hydraulic clutch, I am unsure. Also, on a semi-related issue, could this also cause the clutch to slip because of insufficient pressure?

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by Rumblestrip; 02-08-2024 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-08-2024, 02:48 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

What happens if you try to start the car with first gear engaged and clutch in?

I assume it tries to lurch forward... if so, something is definitely up with the hydraulics
The following users liked this post:
harveyf (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 03:27 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 302 Posts

It always helps to mention which model Porsche you have.
JScotts tip is a good first test. When he says clutch in, he means your foot is not on the clutch pedal.
A second test is the feel of the pedal when you push it in. A little subjective, but if there is little to no resistance, that is not a good sign. At least on my 2007 Cayman S, when I had the engine out and the system totally disconnected at the rear, the pedal would snap to the firewall and would not return without reaching in there and pulling it back. Once it was in proper working condition, it snaps back as you would expect.
Old 02-08-2024, 03:41 PM
Rumblestrip
Cruisin'

Car is 2007 Boxster S, I edited my post to add that, thank you.
The clutch pedal has resistance but I wouldn't say it felt "smooth" but it resistance up and down was fine.
Old 02-08-2024, 03:47 PM
Rumblestrip
Cruisin'

@jscott82 yes, if I try to start it in gear it does try to lurch forward.
Old 02-08-2024, 04:56 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 302 Posts

Access is sort of a PIA but bleeding the clutch is similar, and easier, than the brakes. There is a bleeder screw up on the drivers side of the transaxle, right above where the hydraulic line comes in. The hydraulic line is obvious as it has big expansion loops in it. The cost to bleed the system is minimal, compared to the alternatives. But normally, air doesn't get into this system unless something has degraded. But if bleeding doesn't work, now you get into several possible components that could have failed. Cross that bridge when you get to it.
Old 02-08-2024, 09:12 PM
XuTVJet
Instructor

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

This exact thing happened to my 2011 Cayman last year. I had the car flatbedded to the shop. 2 hours after the car arrived, the shop called and said the car is ready to pick. They said that the car wouldn't go into 1, 2, or R, but gave the sensation that it might go into 3rd, so the tech (shop owner) pushed fairly hard and it popped into gear. He drove the car for 20 minutes and it drove completely fine. The car has driven fine for 5K miles and 10 months.

The shop owner is a very well respected Porsche tech in Kansas City with about 25 years of experience working on most every generation Porsche and he sets up many of the local track cars. He swears that there isn't an issue with the clutch and that if there is an issue, it's internal to the transmission. He went on to add that some "older" Porsches occasionally can get locked between a gear and requires a bit of rocking to free themselves, but that he hadn't heard of the issue on cars built after the 1990s.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...-base-6mt.html

Last edited by XuTVJet; 02-08-2024 at 09:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Clutch Issue - Head Scratcher