Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retro-fitting PASM

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 06:59 PM
ADunk
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Retro-fitting PASM

Hi all, currently hunting for a PASM 987.1S but I am noticing how plentiful non-PASM cars are... I had big plans and dreams to upgrade a PASM car with Bilstien B16s and an upgrade module for 5 levels of dampening. So now the question arises, can PASM be retrofitted down the line if I wanted to? I'd imagine sourcing wiring and parts from a parts car and then adding my own upgrades (Bilstiens and module) but is it possible?

Call it a pipe dream, but I would even consider partially adding back in the sport button if I a tune would actually make it worth wild... Thanks in advance!
Old 04-02-2024, 10:12 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts

Yeah crazy.

But PASM with the aftermarket DSC Sport controller is totally worth it. It’s a great set up.

/
The following users liked this post:
ADunk (04-03-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 11:59 PM
RJ80
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

If you want a PASM car, I would just hold out for one. I would think it's a fairly tough job to retrofit.
joliver3 (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 04:36 AM
Stefan147
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually it's not that bad. At least not for someone with some retrofitting experience. Biggest investment would be the new shocks and the DSC controller. Retrofitting DCC (the equivalent PASM for VAG cars) is fairly common. All you need is wiring and the module 98761810508 (-09-10).

Some parts of the wiring are sold as repair kits from Porsche (e.g. 99761295000) but you can always look for brake-up parts or even go the long way of making the wiring from scratch by copying the wiring repair manual. Then it's only a matter of coding with PIWIS which should be pretty straightforward, again for someone with some experience of the tool.
ADunk (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 02:18 PM
RJ80
Rennlist Member

There is a PASM-equipped 987.2 S PDK on Rennlist Marketplace currently, in case the OP is interested. Also has LSD, Sport Chrono and Sport Seats. it's a nicely optioned car at a good price for the higher mileage.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:06 PM
ADunk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RJ80
There is a PASM-equipped 987.2 S PDK on Rennlist Marketplace currently, in case the OP is interested. Also has LSD, Sport Chrono and Sport Seats. it's a nicely optioned car at a good price for the higher mileage.
I've seen that one, and actually semi local to me but looking for a .1S manual ultimately.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:09 PM
ADunk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fatmike
Yeah crazy.

But PASM with the aftermarket DSC Sport controller is totally worth it. It’s a great set up.

/
So I've heard! I'm torn between continuing and waiting for the right one to come along or take a good deal on a low miles non-PASM car.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:13 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

PASM is way over rated in this generation of cars IMO
Just buy a good mechanically adjustable "coilover suspension"
other choices include
  1. motion control suspension
  2. Ohlin dampers
  3. Moton

Just choose your spring rates for the planned use case
ekam (04-05-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 01:04 AM
RJ80
Rennlist Member

I would be very cautious about going down the adjustable coilover rabbit hole, especially if you have no real need for height adjustment on the car. Springs can be changed on the more expensive units with a wide range of both compression and rebound adjustment, but require complete disassembly/reassembly, corner balancing and alignment each time. That might be fine for track cars, but for a street car it's overkill and wasted time and money. Most people switching to coilovers, I would guess, are looking for a track-friendly setup and most systems are designed with that in mind. In my 987 search, I found PASM's normal mode to result in a more comfortable ride on the street compared with the standard non-PASM dampers, but others' opinions will vary. The sport setting is not suitable for road use, far too firm.
Stefan147 (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 04:46 AM
Stefan147
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having just replaced the oem PASM shocks (with 60K miles on them) with new Bilstein B4 Damptronics, I have to say that they are a great combination of comfort and sportiness when needed. I guess that the upgraded (and much more expensive) offerings from Bilstein or KW would be even better. It's a pity that Ohlins do not make anything compatible with pasm.
Old 04-04-2024, 02:36 PM
RJ80
Rennlist Member

I think the Bilstein B4 units are essentially non-Porsche-branded OEM dampers. They are probably what I will use whenever my original PASM struts need replacing.

As far as other offerings being "even better," I think we'd have to define what better actually is.

If your Cayman is a full-on track car and you have at least club-level racing experience, you've probably got an idea of how suspension adjustments affect the car. But I will presume that for most people, a lower car and firmer ride with less body roll courtesy of stiffer springs automatically equates to "better." For most people on real-world roads, a fairly supple suspension keeps your car on-line when you hit that random mid-corner bump or dip. Having some body roll helps give you an indication of how hard the suspension is working, helps clue you in to where the limits of grip are, and can help give more progressive breakaway beyond those limits. Let's be honest, it's pretty hard to find the limits of these cars fully stock on the road at halfway sane speeds.

Drive the car lots, learn about how it handles in a variety of conditions, get some professional driving instruction in your Cayman at a local HPDE. Then you can decide if you want to make changes that specifically target your perceived deficiencies in the stock car. Don't just purchase the latest $4k adjustable coilovers and all the other trick bits and expect that they are going to make the car "better." Virtually every improvement towards making the car faster in a track environment is going to make the car less livable on the street in terms of noise, vibration and harshness. That's my two cents, anyway.
Old 04-04-2024, 03:27 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

I'm about to convert my track car from TPC DSC+Tractive Coilovers to a spec cayman setup. If anyone wants the ultimate in adjustability and performance for electronic suspension, drop me a line. Here's the tractive setup for reference:

DSC Sport 987 RT Package | DSC Sport
Old 04-05-2024, 12:47 AM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
PASM is way over rated in this generation of cars IMO

Nonsense. PASM with the DSC Sport controller is outstanding.

Decreasing radius highway exit ramp. Turning to the right. Left side of the car is firm and carrying a real cornering load. Right side tires hit a series of potholes and absorbs them like nothing. Car stays planted and totally in control.

This is a real world example - each corner of the car operating independently and optimized for the vehicle dynamics and driver input.

To say PASM isn’t impressive is totally off the mark. It might be the best suspension the factory ever put in a sportscar for the street.

/

Last edited by fatmike; 04-05-2024 at 12:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by fatmike:
Kbasa (04-08-2024), RJ80 (04-05-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 08:17 PM
SeanPatrick31
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

If this is a street car, buy the genuine Porsche Cayman R suspension, the R larger rear sway bar, 997 GT3 control arms, dial-in a little negative camber, and call it a day. If needed, refresh any other suspension parts while you’re in there. You will love the stance, never have to adjust anything, and it’s sublime.
fatmike (04-08-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 01:10 AM
GLTHFJ60
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a set of pasm struts I took out of my 987.1 that are in good shape. 34k original miles, only removed to install b16 damptronic coilovers. Pm me if you're interested in them.

Quick Reply: Retro-fitting PASM