Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman headliner

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 12:07 AM
N_Jay
Rennlist Member

Received 1,572 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Default Cayman headliner

Time to do my headliner on my 2012 Cayman.

What do people think about the idea of putting some sound/heat insulation above the headliner?
Aluminum and butyl, maybeclosed cell home sheet with aluminum on both sides?

What do people think is best?
Old 04-05-2024, 08:48 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 302 Posts

I will start by saying that I don't worry about either. Most of the existing noise sources are not above the roof and as long as the AC can keep up I'm happy. I did replace the headliner on a 06 CS a few years ago, with the factory original part. If you haven't done it, just be aware that if you stuff too much thickness of anything in there, you might affect the fitment of the headliner.
Koolmat, right up the road from you in Mooresville, sells a product that I have used. It is very thin and very effective.
Old 04-05-2024, 06:53 PM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

I feel like I read somewhere of someone who did that. Then parked it in the hot sun. Things didn't go well.

Along the lines for what Harvey said.....what problem are you trying to solve?
Old 04-05-2024, 09:43 PM
N_Jay
Rennlist Member

I am thinking that the dual sided closed cell is probably better than the butyl, since it is lighter and won't soften in the heat.
I am thinking a little more insulation would be good (med-dark blue car).
The AC is marginal. I am going to top it up, a s see how it is. If not much better, I am planning on vacuuming it down and refill fresh.
(the car haf been repaired a bit on the cheap, so i am not confident that AC was properly serviced when it was recharged.)
Yes, most of the noise is from the engine and the road, and i will be adding some insulation in those areas as i work on the car, but a little In the dome of the roof would not hurt.
Old 04-06-2024, 05:24 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,596 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by old man neri
what problem are you trying to solve?
Great question, as it seems protection from heat for the headliner is one point?

Noting perhaps the issue with the Cayman headliner is typically the deterioration of the foam (not adhesives or similar), and such is likely just a by product of age - pushed along perhaps by heat.
However, my 52,000 km / 11 year old, and always garaged car headliner collapsed regardless.

Suggest a high quality replacement program is all that is required, and you're done for the life of the car... one summary on similar here.

Old 04-06-2024, 04:35 PM
N_Jay
Rennlist Member

Pulled the headliner out today.
Weird headliner board. It has plastic pieces with fins glued to the back. I am guessing to stiffen and maybe get rid of vibration.
The fins created at least an inch of open space above the headliner, so I am a lot less concerned about adding insulation.
I have a few samples coming in, and hope one is a decent match, or maybe a nice complement.
I am also hoping that I can get a material that is available without the foam backing, so i can wrap the plasic trim.

There Isa rectangle of what looks like a heavy aluminum backed butyl sheet in the center of the roof. Guessing to prevent resonance of the roof panel.

Last edited by N_Jay; 04-06-2024 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-07-2024, 12:29 AM
FlipE
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko
Great question, as it seems protection from heat for the headliner is one point?

Noting perhaps the issue with the Cayman headliner is typically the deterioration of the foam (not adhesives or similar), and such is likely just a by product of age - pushed along perhaps by heat.
However, my 52,000 km / 11 year old, and always garaged car headliner collapsed regardless.

Suggest a high quality replacement program is all that is required, and you're done for the life of the car... one summary on similar here.

That is only the first step. You wind up with fabric-covered buttons. Costs about 20 dollars and an afternoon. Probably will outlast a stock replacement.
Old 04-07-2024, 11:36 PM
Ric In RVA
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by FlipE
That is only the first step. You wind up with fabric-covered buttons. Costs about 20 dollars and an afternoon. Probably will outlast a stock replacement.
Look up "Twisty Pins" on Amazon for a quick and dirty fix to get you by before you get around to doing a headliner.

My old Jag XJ6 used those for years....
Old 04-08-2024, 01:15 PM
N_Jay
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ric In RVA
Look up "Twisty Pins" on Amazon for a quick and dirty fix to get you by before you get around to doing a headliner.

My old Jag XJ6 used those for years....
Now that I see how much room there is above, I might have used pins of some kind, but didn't want o go that way (even temporarily) if I risked hitting the inner roof panel.

Waiting for sample swatches to come in so I can select a color and material.
Old 04-08-2024, 02:01 PM
Ric In RVA
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Plenty of room...these are VERY short and twist and lock. There is no pointy end to push through

Make a nice pattern!! It will look tufted!!

https://a.co/d/iyf51NY
Old 04-08-2024, 02:25 PM
N_Jay
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ric In RVA
Plenty of room...these are VERY short and twist and lock. There is no pointy end to push through

Make a nice pattern!! It will look tufted!!

https://a.co/d/iyf51NY

Same thing my grandmother use to keep the covers on the arms of the sofa
Old 04-08-2024, 02:26 PM
N_Jay
Rennlist Member

Thinking that while I have it apart, I am going to get matching fabric without the foam and wrap the plastic trim pieces to hid the scratched "Soft Touch" finish.

Quick Reply: Cayman headliner