Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

remove engine cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 03:16 PM
BVDP
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question remove engine cover

I'm a little embarrassed to ask but I'm going to do it anyway . I need to replace the starter of my Cayman 987.2 2.9 from 2011. I have already found enough information on this forum about replacing the starter. The problem is that I cannot immediately find out how to remove the engine cover . I've searched a lot but I can't find any DIY with YouTube videos. I don't want to pull on everything with the chance that something will break off. I usually work on older cars and am therefore not used to clogged bolts and plastic. Hence the question..

regards, Bart
Old 04-06-2024, 03:29 PM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

There's two covers. One on top and one behind the seats. You basically pull/pry the carpet cover off to expose the metal cover. Then you as T30(?) to remove the screws holding the cover one.

Go to 1:56 of this video. I would link it directly but this forum is quite silly when it comes to youtube links.

Last edited by old man neri; 04-06-2024 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-06-2024, 03:39 PM
BVDP
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't expect it to be that simple. Thank you.
Old 04-08-2024, 12:46 AM
ehokana
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Be ready to do it if you live in California. I've had at least three smog test guys telling me that they could not do the test if they could not visually inspect the top of the engine. One wanted to charge me to disassemble part of the trunk and interior to do the inspection - apparently not knowing how to get to the top of the motor the easy way...
The following users liked this post:
dxrohanx (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 10:34 PM
dxrohanx
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ehokana
Be ready to do it if you live in California. I've had at least three smog test guys telling me that they could not do the test if they could not visually inspect the top of the engine. One wanted to charge me to disassemble part of the trunk and interior to do the inspection - apparently not knowing how to get to the top of the motor the easy way...
Interesting! I was prepared to do the same for my smog test a few months ago in NorCal and only had the carpet off on arrival. The tech said he just needed to plug into the OBD port. TBH I was concerned about potential questions about the UAOS (which I've read other members have had to explain) but we didn't even get that far. He did use a mirror to check exhaust condition (or perhaps to spot the cats). I'll continue to carry the torx bit to the appointment just in case given your experiences @ehokana . Thanks!
Old 04-09-2024, 12:08 AM
Mansu944
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

yeah, they pull this **** at some of the dumber shops. What do they expect 991’s to do in a few years when they need to get smogged?
Old 04-09-2024, 09:39 AM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 85 Posts

Having to show the engine would be really fun with a Boxster. Fortunately the place I go does not make that request. And if they did I would go elsewhere.
The following users liked this post:
scootr (04-10-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 12:53 AM
ehokana
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Funny that my sport exhaust did not even warrant a question. Just needed the emissions tag on the engine cover, and apparently view the intake. I'm still trying to figure out what the air filter on the intake matters, but that's California for ya
Old 04-25-2024, 02:52 PM
iflyjetzzz
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Funny that my sport exhaust did not even warrant a question. Just needed the emissions tag on the engine cover, and apparently view the intake. I'm still trying to figure out what the air filter on the intake matters, but that's California for ya
You CAians are Idiocracy incarnate. Fix your government.
Old 04-26-2024, 11:00 AM
ClemCLone
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by BVDP
I have already found enough information on this forum about replacing the starter.
regards, Bart
There is a way to get at the 3rd starter bottom bolt without using a long set of ratchet extensions to get at it front the front of the engine, most YT vids describe.

You'll need to separate the 2" Oil Filler tube. There is a 1/2" wide 'horse shoe' collar on the tube. Spread the bottom openings and it will come off. You can then separate the tube, but be careful. If your car is old, like mine, these plastics are brittle and don't take to a lot of movement until they crack. Found out the hard way replacing the AOS

Separated tube and bottom bolt

Also, with the battery disconnected, you'll need to access this starter/alternator connection back of the firewall. This is a known area that can cause high resistance. Remove the nut, clean all parts and re-assemble, making sure this connection is tight.

Last edited by ClemCLone; 04-26-2024 at 11:01 AM.

Quick Reply: remove engine cover