Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pink viscous liquid under car

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2024, 05:55 PM
nesposito
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Default pink viscous liquid under car

I had the clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing and slave cylinder replaced last week on my 2009 Cayman S. Drove it 6 miles home and parked it. On Thursday I drove the car to work which is a 35 mile round trip. Friday I noticed a small puddle of pink slightly viscous liquid under the car near the passenger side rear wheel. I called the shop and described what I saw assuming it was hydraulic fluid leaking after the clutch job. They are saying it sounds more like coolant. Is the coolant in our cars pink and viscous/oily?
Old 04-13-2024, 08:50 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 302 Posts

The Porsche factory coolant that I purchased recently comes out of the jug red so there is no doubt that it looks more pink when diluted 50-50 with water. Pentosin brake/clutch fluid is effectively colorless.
Old 04-13-2024, 09:18 PM
nesposito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by harveyf
The Porsche factory coolant that I purchased recently comes out of the jug red so there is no doubt that it looks more pink when diluted 50-50 with water. Pentosin brake/clutch fluid is effectively colorless.
Is the coolant thick and viscous like oil?
Old 04-13-2024, 11:01 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Not really.
Old 04-14-2024, 04:38 AM
Apex1
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

You might check the coolant reservoir which is just beside the right side of the engine. Its near the AOS. Look for the leak and you should be able to smell the coolant as well.
Old 04-14-2024, 11:56 AM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

If it's very near the side of the car, it very well may be AC dye. Yes coolant is pink also. In the same area is also the coolant fill. Could be they spilled some, could be they didn't put a clamp back on. You will just need to have them look and see.

does the AC Work?
is you temp light on on the gauge. It will come one even if the coolant is low and not yet overheating
Old 04-14-2024, 02:25 PM
nesposito
Rennlist Member

There is no coolant smell. The AC is working just fine and the temperature gauge hasn't moved from the normal range. I want to reiterate that the liquid I know I know I said was pink but it's just a hint of a pinkish color. It's really almost clear. This is why I'm leaning towards it being hydraulic fluid. Especially coming right from all the clutch work that was done and the entire system being bled.
Old 04-14-2024, 02:38 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

On my 07 CS, there is a standard hydraulic fitting where the line enters the slave cylinder. At the 9 o'clock position on the transaxle, looking in from the rear of the car.
There is a separate quick disconnect fitting where the line goes up under the protective panels towards the front of the car. If that was leaking, there should be fluid coming out from the rear edge of the panel, on the drivers side.
Take the LR tire off so you can inspect the lines. They are distinctive on my car, as they are formed into a spiral loop near their entry to the tranny. There is a chance that the lines are damaged.
Old 04-14-2024, 02:49 PM
nesposito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by harveyf
On my 07 CS, there is a standard hydraulic fitting where the line enters the slave cylinder. At the 9 o'clock position on the transaxle, looking in from the rear of the car.
There is a separate quick disconnect fitting where the line goes up under the protective panels towards the front of the car. If that was leaking, there should be fluid coming out from the rear edge of the panel, on the drivers side.
Take the LR tire off so you can inspect the lines. They are distinctive on my car, as they are formed into a spiral loop near their entry to the tranny. There is a chance that the lines are damaged.
It appears mine is coming from the edge of the panel at the rear on the passenger side of the car.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:43 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Passenger side?!!! The only fluid over there is coolant and the AC refrigerant lines.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:45 PM
nesposito
Rennlist Member

Well I got this remedied. Couldn't have been any easier. it did end up being coolant and it was a slight leak from a crack in the cap.
The following users liked this post:
MrMoose (04-26-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 12:55 PM
Keith Guidus
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Cheap fix!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: pink viscous liquid under car