Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Spec my Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 11:48 PM
djb_rh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Spec my Cayman S

(Posted this on Pelican, but then realized this was probably a better place. Duh.)

So I've had my money in for a while and my dealer says it is time to order. Should have a November build with arrival in the states on Jan 15.

My background: I've been driving competitively for three years now. All three of it I have been competing in Solo2 nationally (two years in a CS Toyota Spyder and one year in a CS Miata, but I've also done a few events in an AS STi and a CSP Spyder). I also have a Spec Miata and have done a good bit of road racing in it. Have seat time at VIR, CMP, and Road Atlanta (love endurance racing...did the 8 hour at VIR two years ago, the 13 hour at VIR last year, and this year am teaming up with Brian Smith and Jason Saini in the 13 hour). Street cars I've owned include a 996TT, E46 M3 Convertible, M-Roadster, and I currently have several Miatas, an STi, and an '87 911.

Anyway, I want a pretty much no compromises Cayman. I will likely at least do some DEs in it and will definitely autocross it at least *some*, even if it doesn't end up competitively classed. High performance, low weight. So, here's my list:

G1 Guards Red
AN Black Standard Leather
AP Black Sport Seats
P77 Leather Sport Seats
XSX Seat Belts - Guards Red
(I'm sure these weigh the same as black.)
450 PCCB
475 PASM
498 Delete Model Designation
573 Automatic Climate Control
580 Rear Luggage Partition
(This is removable, right?)
P74 Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package
XCZ Sport Shifter
XRP 5mm Wheel Spacers
435 Sport Steering Wheel

Questions I have are:

Are the Bi-Xenons much heavier than normal headlights?
Is automatic climate control worth the extra weight? It can't be more than a couple pounds, I would guess (if that).

Wheels...18's are the best option since there isn't much race rubber (if any) for 19's (at least not DOT R-comps). There are two options there...the C7S and the 987S. Anyone know the specs? Curious about weight and dimensions.

I'm also curious why four 5mm wheel spacers are $490. There better be something more there than four flat disks with holes in them.

Any input is appreciated.

--Donnie
Old 08-25-2005, 01:27 AM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can probably save some weight by swapping the factory seats for GT3 seats.

I personally like the 18" C7S wheels....but if you really want to go all out, maybe swap the factory wheels for some lightweight (magnesium?) aftermarket rims. Would be interesting when combined with PCCB.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:59 AM
djb_rh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh, I'll definitely get lightweight wheels for race rubber. No idea what yet, but I've got a while to worry about that part...

Heading to CaymanClub now.

--Donnie
Old 08-25-2005, 10:06 AM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Nice list. Considering Sport Chrono? That's the only thing I see missing that might help at the track.

Already ordered mine.......short shift was not available right now.......you will have to retro later.
(If you find out something different, please let me know!)

At most the Xenons may add a pound or two.....not much. Auto climate probably the same if that.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:01 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I spent all afternoon at the dealer's comparing some of those options to the standard offering. My conclusions follow. The sport steering wheel is only .2" smaller in diameter (I ordered it anyway). The "thicker" sport wheel is only thicker at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions, where there is a "flange-like" thing that I didn't care for. The sports seats are still too wide for me; the adaptable sport seat "puffs up" a little better, but costs over $3k. I tried the sports shifter, but stuck whith the standard shifter, which seems just as quick to me. I didn't see the sport chrono package (639) in your list. I'd think that you would want it, along with the PASM that is in your list. The spacers are very much overpriced at $490. Get them aftermarket and hub-centric. The red belts will cut zero to 60 time by .2 secs.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:05 PM
djb_rh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

For those playing along at home, here's the likely final order:

G1 Guards Red
AN Black Standard Leather
AP Black Sport Seats
M6A Black Mats - Porsche Lettering
P77 Leather Sport Seats
XSX Seat Belts - Guards Red
450 PCCB
475 PASM
498 Delete Model Designation
573 Automatic Climate Control
P74 Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package
XCZ Sport Shifter
460 Sport Steering Wheel Lthr

Curious why the recommendation for the sport chrono. It's not useful to me for lap timing (I've got a Hot Lap beacon system I can use for that if I want)...does it do anything else?

--Donnie
Old 08-26-2005, 06:50 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't Sport Chrono allow for an improved throttle response, etc.? I've been told it's a "must have" option, despite the wart-on-the-dash appearance.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:34 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Sean's right. SCP remaps throttle response for spirited driving. Boxster S owners who have it say the change is noticable. The croc eye on the dash in mainly an eyesore. It has to be reset manually and apparently has no lap time memory unless one gets SCP Plus along with PCM ($2970).
Old 09-04-2005, 06:36 PM
peterr
Advanced

Default Since you asked...

I would delete the PCCB.

Old 09-04-2005, 07:58 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,738 Likes on 2,700 Posts

I would forget the PASM and buy aftermarket coilovers.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:58 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

I agree with Grant, delete the PASM and go coilovers if you're planning on tracking the car. If you're set on getting the PASM, then do get the Sport Chrono as it does more than time your laps.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:02 PM
AW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definitely delete PCCB, especially if some of your local track is hard on brakes. I have no direct experience with PASM but suspect it will make the car much harder to mod. If you end up installing GT3 seats why getting sports seats?

AW
Old 09-05-2005, 05:04 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AW
I would definitely delete PCCB, especially if some of your local track is hard on brakes. I have no direct experience with PASM but suspect it will make the car much harder to mod. If you end up installing GT3 seats why getting sports seats?

AW
Yeah, I agree with this too, as replacing PCCB rotors costs in the 5-figures
Old 09-05-2005, 06:56 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Replacing just the rotors costs thousands more than to order the whole PCCB system?
Old 09-05-2005, 06:58 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
Replacing just the rotors costs thousands more than to order the whole PCCB system?
Yes, because when you order the whole system, you are only paying for the difference between the PCCB and the excellent standard Brembo Steel brakes (as found on the 996 Twin Turbo)...

Quick Reply: Help Spec my Cayman S