Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the M Z4 Coupe come close to the Cayman S?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 04:01 AM
Cloud964
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I love porsches, cayman included. But I also love M cars from BMW.
I honestly think that cayman is lacking in some intangibles, although I can't say exactly what it is. Normally I am very passionate about new porsches, but this time, for some unknown (to myself) reasons, I don't have that feeling.
On the other hand, I have been criticizing Z4s ever since they came on the market, they look negatively different. But when I saw an M coupe in a BMW dealer a couple of days ago, it totally changes my mind. That car, with that hatchback, is an awesome looking vehicle, and there is a little voice inside telling me I have to have that car.
I 'll wait until I actually have a chance to drive one before making the final decision.
Anyway, a sports car should touch your heart... (my brain was not functioning when I purchased my cars.... didn't even understand what my wife was saying to me)
Old 06-11-2006, 06:42 AM
autobahnNY
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my Porsches, but this M coupe may be fun in a brutal way and at certain angles it doesn't look too bad; its actually growing on me. I'd like to see how it drives. Still would prefer to have a Porsche, but hey that's a lot HP to throw around...

Here some cool multimedia. Link (Go to Z4 M Coupe, then Experience)
Old 06-11-2006, 03:40 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,485 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloud964
Cayman is lacking, that's my opinion. You don't have to agree if you don't want to. Just don't tell me who I am and who I am not. Cayman is for gayman.
sorry, i am not gay, but i am bi...

it may be lacking to many ppl, but comparing the gayman against my elise, 964, 993c2 and 6 996's and 3 gt3, i find that some of the 911 i drove are lacking compared to gayman.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:46 PM
Cloud964
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from San Francisco... mmm
Old 06-12-2006, 12:28 AM
searching4996
Racer

Originally Posted by autobahnNY
I love my Porsches, but this M coupe may be fun in a brutal way and at certain angles it doesn't look too bad; its actually growing on me. I'd like to see how it drives. Still would prefer to have a Porsche, but hey that's a lot HP to throw around...

Here some cool multimedia. Link (Go to Z4 M Coupe, then Experience)

I agree with autobahn, this car has some brute force curb appeal. It won't be the same ride as the Cayman, but I find myself more drawn to the z4m for some reason.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:57 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

The reality is the Z4 MCoupe is closer to 3300lbs than 3100lbs.
Therefore it is much heavier than the Cayman S and for me that plus the midengine layout and proper brakes is what makes the Cayman S the better car. I only care about the badge if it really translates into something tangible, and in this case in the P-Car it does.

However, if I were not myself, but instead someone who didn't go to the Track nor care about handling at the limit or brakes that lasted for more than 30mins driving at 10/10ths I would choose the Z4MCoupe b/c it seems to be more confortable, its cheaper (fully loaded) and faster at traffic lights. So, in theory the BMW should sell well....
Old 06-12-2006, 03:45 PM
timnitti
Intermediate

hmmm ... I did consider a Cayman rather than getting my 997S. It's simply a wonderful car. I wouldn't have even considered the Z4M Coupe. Why? I have to say I'm not thrilled anymore with the driving position in front engine sports cars. Even in my old S2000 I found over time I got tired of sitting WAYYYY out back in the car. That's one thing you get from any Porsche these days, a driving position out front where all the fun is happening.

I think these days that the performance levels of typical sports cars in the $50 to $100k price range has gotten so high that I'm more inclined to base decisions on factors like this that are going to have way more impact on how much I enjoy a car than some absolutely miniscule difference in performance statistics.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:12 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

cgomez (like your new avatar) and timnitti are right on. m coupe is a nice car, but not fit for everyone. get the one that speaks to YOU. and indeed, the m car needs help in the braking dept.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:18 AM
Budget M3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must admit that I really wanted a Boxster coupe.... until it was released as the Cayman. Porsche really disappointed by pricing the Cayman ABOVE the Boxster--marketing says its a totally different car than a Boxster coupe, but I think the educated enthusiast knows better. Yeah, they got to market first and have the more "prestigious" (sp?) logo on the front, but at $10K+ price difference you either have to be an absolute P-car nut (oxymoron intended) or have money be no object to put these cars in the same class. If, like all other car companies, they had priced the Cayman below a similar engined convertible, then the M-car comparison would be fair and the Porsche would win.

I have to give the nod to the M-Coupe as the best performance value for the dollar...
Old 06-13-2006, 11:47 AM
AC coupe
Instructor

When it comes right down to it, Porsche made two mistakes with the Cayman:
priced it too high and hobbled it by not using an LSD.

This is from a track junkie's prospective though.

Even in the top gear Stig test the MZ4 roadster was faster than the Cayman S, Maybe Porsche will wake up now.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:25 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by AC coupe
When it comes right down to it, Porsche made two mistakes with the Cayman:
priced it too high and hobbled it by not using an LSD.
price is in the eyes of the beholder, i thought the pricing was fair, not spectacular, assuming you dont tick too many options.

lack of LSD was f'kg stupid however.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:47 PM
LastGT3
Racer

Well that Z4 coupe design is cat ***. The Cayman is very nice - but not moving, the Z4 just begs to ooogled.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:14 PM
Mojimbo
Track Day

The styling of the Z4 is pretty cool, but then the Cayman is a beautiful car as welll. In terms of driving dynamics, I prefer the MR vs the FR of the Z4. Although, I'm sure the sled-like layout of the Z4 will make for a VERY entertaining drifter In terms of the power discrepancy that wont be hard to fix. 9ff has their 3.8 and 4.1L engines from the CR42, but for a cheap bastid like me, their 40HP+ Powerkit will keep the Z4 (and others) at bay.

Until Dinan gets a hold of it...

German Engineering wins everytime!

Bottom line...Its an incredible time to be a car enthusiast! Now if only the germans can catch the Z06!! (for under $100k)

Last edited by Mojimbo; 06-13-2006 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:20 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AC coupe
Even in the top gear Stig test the MZ4 roadster was faster than the Cayman S, Maybe Porsche will wake up now.
Yeah, and the guy who tested the car was'nt even Jeremy Clerkson but the one who loves Porsche's, and he conceded the Z to be the better car ( he picked the 997S over M6 and the aston martin on a previous episode). M was more brutish, not as refined as the porsche but he prefered it (I know the M division wanted it to be brutish and less refined). A great alternative.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:47 PM
kostas
Track Day

Default gayman????

Hey Cloud964, according to your definition since I happily own my 8th p-car and this time it is a cayman, I must be a ******. Come try me out old man!!

Quick Reply: Will the M Z4 Coupe come close to the Cayman S?