Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Cayman S....

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 10:45 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 2008 Cayman S....

There has been rumors that the 08 model will sport a 3.6 l engine with 325 hp.

Has anyone heard of it? Could it be true?
Old 08-26-2006, 12:08 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I haven't heard that, but it wouldn't surprise me. I think Porsche will have to step uo the HP to justify the premium over the boxster. Seems like Porsche has the price scheme reversed.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:54 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,488 Likes on 2,271 Posts

yes, i have heard that from my dealer.
but no hard data supporting it. why worry, buy one now trade it up to 3.6L when 2008 rolls around. dont wait forever.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:33 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Well, I would have to order an 07 because I can't find anything to my specs.
I would receive it in December, thus park it since I live in Boston and the winters are not suited for spirited Porsche driving.
Or I take delivery in the spring, but then, if I wait 4 more months I can drive home a (june ordered) 08 with possibly a bigger engine and extra ponies.....

What would you do?

P.S. My 05 S4 is great in the winters.... what is the rush
Old 08-26-2006, 10:07 AM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

wait for 08
Old 08-26-2006, 01:29 PM
busaganashi
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well what I did was buy the closest thing to my spec I could find and negotiate a price that ate up most or all of the year 1 depreciation. When 2008 rolls around, or when they upgrade the engine, I'll custom order a new one.

I get to have fun now and not on the receiving end of a huge hit when I upgrade.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:52 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

The real question to me is whether it will have a LSD, and I would project that it wouldn't, unless the 997 comes with it as well.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:26 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

honestly, unless you track a lot and the track you frequent has tight hairpin turns, LSD is just one extra thing to break down.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:22 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Excuse my ignorance, but what is LSD?

TIA
Old 08-28-2006, 12:32 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LSD is a must
Old 08-28-2006, 12:59 PM
My87Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Excuse my ignorance, but what is LSD?

TIA
Limited Slip Diff i think
Old 08-28-2006, 07:22 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

I just had a Guard Transmission LSD installed on my 93 RSA. It was an option for that model, and a lot of RSAs had LSDs but mine didn't. I really wished I had waited for a car with factory LSD as the aftermarket unit -- which is, according to many, superior to the Porsche factory LSD -- was quite expensive. I do track my RSA, but I have not tracked it since the installation. I will say that the car is more planted and sharper mid-corner during aggressive street driving and feels much more stable. Before the LSD, the car seemed to be a bit more precariously balanced in mid-turn. I can't wait to see what it does on the track, with both the PSS9 and LSD, but it was a worthwhile purchase even for the street. It is a must for a Cayman, as well. I've driven one very hard and experienced inside wheel spin -- really irritating on a car with such potential. On the Cayman I'd like to see a true LSD or even torque-biasing differential and a firmer PASM suspension. The amount of power is not so important, though 325hp would be really nice. With the right suspension and LSD, the car doesn't need more power IMO. Of course, I doubt Porsche will approve such a car with the performance of the Cayman already equal to the 997.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:08 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

"what's LSD".... you must be very young or very very old ;-)
it's a funny drug that makes you feel GOOD....
sorry i can't resisit.

the guard LSD is what you really want, congrats. the oem lsd will or should die after a season or two of agressive tracking. if you didnt kill it in two seasons, you are either driving too slow or you didn't have enough track days. i mean it. the stock unit is not very good.

the mid corner stable behavior i dont think is affected by the new LSD. however, without more detail, i can't tell why it is more stable now that you have the LSD.

would i love a LSD on my cayman, hell yes. but no one makes one which can be readily purchases so what can i do. i do get lots of inside wheel spin coming off T11 and T7 at infineon, both tight righthander hairpins. but with 295hp and stickier tires, RA1, mpsc, hoosiers, and a little more attention to throttle application, i can avoid all the wheel spin and exit as fast as i dare.

now, if you had 500hp, then without LSD, it be pretty hard to get the power down coming off tight turns.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:29 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

Yeah, probably not exactly mid-corner, but as I'm trail-braking the LSD is working, and as I am powering out it is also working. The whole process seems much sharper, and I think a bit of wheel slip -- though maybe not creating a cloud of smoke and bogging you down -- will cause the car to feel just a little looser during the corner. It may very well not be the LSD that is causing the new sensation, but it seems to me that it is. Maybe I'm hallucinating...Do you know anything about the Farbacher-Loles LSD for the Cayman? For some reason, I remember reading something about them selling that separately.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:28 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jlr
I'm trail-braking the LSD is working, and as I am powering out it is also working.
understood. you didnt' say you were trail braking. if so, yes, LSD is helping and exiting, most certainly LSD is better than no LSD. a lot better if turn is tight.

..Do you know anything about the Farbacher-Loles LSD for the Cayman?

For some reason, I remember reading something about them selling that separately.

Quick Reply: 2008 Cayman S....