Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I was all ready to order a Cayman S but...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 09:21 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
well, cay s is a bit down on power by today's standards and i know many ppl are not wow'd by it. howver, i also know many who are. and many of them are/were GT3 owners who track a lot.

no need to 2nd guess yourself. if you like it, you do. if not, find another that suits better.
Absolutely. If you spend over $60K on a toy, why in the world would you ever consider the purchase unless you are delighted with the car. It's OK to have misgivings when you spend $15K on a Hyundai, but Porsche purchases should be without any second thoughts.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:16 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
The cost of the Kompressor is $22.9K-23.9K depending on model, except...Ruf doesn't offer a Kompressor for the Cayman S 3.4l. They only have it as a standalone option(installed at Ruf Autocentre) on the 996 and 997 Carrera/4 and Carrera S/4S models.

The Kompressor is standard on the Ruf-Germany built RK-Cayman that includes the Carrera S' 3.8l engine, but that car will run...over twice your total cost estimate. I've talked with Hans at Ruf Autocentre and they can do a Kompressor with a 3.8l swap in a Cayman, but the cost will be about the cost of the Cayman new (3.8l swap + Kompressor pkg). They have actually wanted to do one for a while, just no one has stepped up to the plate with the money to do it. Basically for the price of a 997 Turbo, you could have a Cayman S 3.8l Kompressor. Although this may seem expensive, keep in mind that it would be very exclusive since there aren't any others around.

Let me follow up. I spoke with RUF autocentre and I got a different response.

"We are expecting a release of the Cayman Kompressor in the next few Weeks,
Pricing has not been made public at this Time, however we are expecting it
to be about the same than the 911 Kompressor Upgrades"
Old 10-12-2006, 01:23 AM
Porschenator
Intermediate

Absolutely no one on this forum will like this post...........but I have an 05 Cayenne S, 97 C2S, and 97 Boxster,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,all of which I love, but nothing compares to the C2S.........absolutely nothing...............maybe it's my love of the final extension of the true 911..........but I've driven a Cayman S.............and for the money, would still by a 993...........any day............not that the skin isn't beautiful, it certainly is........still, the 993 is an amazing auto that will never, but ought to, return>>>>>just my two cents.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:31 AM
joey c
Pro

i am with you porschenator// all of the new cars porsche makes are great,but the 993 is something special..i have had boxsters and currently own an 87 911...i test drove all the new cars and loved the 997 but its too damn much for my wallet...i liked the cayman s but did not love it, and for less money you could buy a mint condition 993 c2s..i would not think twice..j
Old 10-12-2006, 01:48 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porschenator
nothing compares to the C2S.........absolutely nothing
agreed, beautiful car.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:20 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
Side note, I also find butt dynos to be complete inaccurate. Show me the gain on a chassis or engine dyno with a baseline and I'll believe it, otherwise you are just blowing smoke. I've learned this lesson from 3 experiences. I put a supercharger on one of my cars that felt fast, but I found out it was running 50% too rich and killing over 35 hp on the dyno. For another car, I had a intake kit that seemed to smoothen out the engine, but actually caused the car to lose 2 hp...yes, I took it right off. Last, although I did not expect it; I gained 22 hp at the wheels on a dynojet from adding a K&N 63-series intake and a Fabspeed Exhaust to my 996. In none of these situations did the butt dyno give the same indication the chassis dyno did.
IMHO, the butt-dyno is measuring torque, not peak HP. I suspect peak HP was the number being compared. What was the area under the curve like? Did it increase/decrease torque in the ranges typically used on the street (where a butt-dyno might be more accurate)?

I don't have a dog in this fight, just posing the question.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:24 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fezz
agreed, beautiful car.
I'm of course biased but, I fully agree. When I slapped my kiester into the seat of a 993 and drove it, I knew it had to come home with me. My '90 feels like a 'tighter' car but the 993 is such a sweetheart. I was going to buy a Cayman before I stumbled onto the 993 but was put off by the interior feel. Again.. I'm probably hopeless biased towards the old-school minimalism of the Carreras.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:39 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was smitten by an 83 SC - feel and sound, of course.

i dont know what the next p-car will be - likely 987S

but, major dilemas:

* old school v. new school (993 vs. box / croc)
* i'm clearly a minimalist - 944, 911
* i love technology (contradiction) (hide it from me - i dont want to see it)
* i'd like to be able to see the engine and stick my hand in once and a while. (and i dont own a lift.)
Old 11-03-2006, 04:51 PM
webnuts4u2
Track Day

I'm driving a Cayman S right now while my 987 is in the shop. I really like the 6 speed and the car rides great. Power wise I don't see that much difference between my 987 and the CS. I drove an 01 Turbo day before yesterday and I must say that there is absolutely no comparison in the power output. The Turbo felt like it had 2-3x the amount of torque and acceleration over the CS. The CS I'm driving has a sticker of $60,725. My 987 with tax was $50k. I can't justify the price difference and I can put the top down on my 987. I could pick up a used Turbo for around $70k.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:48 AM
Geza
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by discoganya
Huh? Aluminium stiffer than Steel? Aluminium has a Young's modulus of 70 GPa, Steel has 160. There is no alloy of Aluminium that can be made stiffer than steel. Now Carbon Fiber is a different beast ... (240 GPa).
The density of steel is roughly 3 times that of aluminum, making the stiffness to weight ratio of aluminum (using your modulus numbers) ~30% greater than steel. This makes it possible to design a structure from aluminum that is both lighter and stiffer than a steel structure. Of course, the details of the structure design are critical to determining it's stiffness and weight charateristics.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:06 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

You gotta wind these engines up to get the power even with the Carreras. I never got to redline a Porsche during a test drive.

Quick Reply: I was all ready to order a Cayman S but...