Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BYE BYE Cayman - HELLO America Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 05:12 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bull30
If Porsche wakes up and decides to put the 3.8 in the Cayman then I may give the Cayman another look... The 3.4 lacks power, especially midrange torque... I'll be the first to admit that I got sucked in by Porsche's outstanding marketing hype... But it did not take long for the thrill to wear off...
lacks power for what?
Are you planning to race the thing?

The CaymanS/BoxsterS has more power/torque than 95% of the 1 Million+ Pcars ever made.

somehow people have convinced themselves that this car doesn't have enough power and that car doesn't have enough torque.
It's all in your head....
Old 05-24-2007, 05:23 PM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
It's all in your head....
Could be but I'm more inclined to think it's based on actual seat time... You are entitled to your opinion...
Old 05-24-2007, 06:44 PM
F451
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by STLPCA
What I don't get is why so many Rennlisters (mostly 964 or 993 owners) seem drawn to come to this Cayman board to bash the car. IMO all it's done is driven a new generation of P car owners elsewhere. As a long time Rennlister (well before this site) that saddens me.
Funny you would write that, as this is the first time I've come over to the Cayman forum, and the first thread I've ever read over here.

The title of the thread caught my eye, so I was thinking I would learn a bit about why someone would sell their Cayman and go with one of the 911 variants (nice car btw).

Unfortunately I've stumbled upon a pissing match. But they happen everywhere I guess.

And the reason I came over here in the first place was that I had the impression that the Cayman was a hell of a sports car, and I've entertained the idea of buying a used one, but then I stumbled upon a thread (in an unnamed forum) where someone was bad mouthing it, so I thought I would come over here to learn a bit about them.

I think I'll have to read some of the other threads now....

Ed
Old 05-24-2007, 08:27 PM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 26 Posts

For cayman appreciation see wwwcaymanclub.net where they can do no wrong...ever. Alas, we need a place where a man with a cayman can get some good info with people who drive and track their cars.
P.S. as a spolier on caymanclub, all cayman's are faster than GT3's it seems....
I must have a lemon.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:52 PM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chris R.
For cayman appreciation see wwwcaymanclub.net where they can do no wrong...ever. Alas, we need a place where a man with a cayman can get some good info with people who drive and track their cars.
P.S. as a spolier on caymanclub, all cayman's are faster than GT3's it seems....
I must have a lemon.
Too funny... You are SO right... And, don't say anything against the owner of the CaymanClub.net or the Cayman or you will get banned for life!!! As me how I know...

According to the CaymanClub, Caymans are the best Porsche made and faster and better handling than any other Porsche...

This seems to be the EVEREADY Thread... It keeps going and going and going...
Old 05-25-2007, 02:03 AM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

I often wonder how I would have felt if I bought a new 997 Carrera? I have not driven one but I think I would have been thrilled.
i doubt it very much

i drover a carrera s back to back with a cayman s. and although the carrera s felt more accelerative in a straight line, overall i much preferred the cayman s. I can only imagine a standard 997 is inferior in all respects to a cayman, apart from having 4 seats.

i've been thinking about what possible replacements I can get for my cayman, and I have decided (as of right now) that i will wait a couple of years for the warranty to finish then I will stick in the 3.8 x51 engine. I really cannot think of a car I would rather own, except maybe a rwd gallardo if they made one...
Old 05-25-2007, 08:04 AM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by P-Car fanatic
i've been thinking about what possible replacements I can get for my cayman, and I have decided (as of right now) that i will wait a couple of years for the warranty to finish then I will stick in the 3.8 x51 engine.
So obviously you're not happy with the performance of your Cayman... I guess then it is not the end-all-be-all of Porsches... If it's such a great car then why the upgrade to the 3.8x51... It must be because of the Cayman's poor performance...

I'm being a bit sarcastic because it's the way I felt... I even went so far as to source out pricing... Then I smartened up and got rid of the car... I'll just wait till Porsche decides to put the 3.8 in the Cayman then compare it with a GT3...
Old 05-25-2007, 09:18 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

As a bunch of juvenile men, can we all agree that NO car has too much power and ALL cars can be improved via a bigger motor/more power/more wheel spinning/tire smoking?
Yes...my CS needs 100hp more for sure.....but my dad's GT3 RS could use another 50 I think, so...
Old 05-25-2007, 09:35 AM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

So obviously you're not happy with the performance of your Cayman... I guess then it is not the end-all-be-all of Porsches... If it's such a great car then why the upgrade to the 3.8x51... It must be because of the Cayman's poor performance...

I'm being a bit sarcastic because it's the way I felt... I even went so far as to source out pricing... Then I smartened up and got rid of the car... I'll just wait till Porsche decides to put the 3.8 in the Cayman then compare it with a GT3...
as the other poster said, i'm fine with the power, but I would always want more, even if it has 500bhp....

to be honest, I was really thinking the other day about what I would possibly upgrade to (onwards and upwards as they say), and after discounting different cars like maseratis and aston martins (not feasible in nashville since servicing is miles away in ATL) I can't see any reason to chenge my car unless forced to get a more practical 911 again by my wife when we have kids. So instead of just getting a 3.6 cayman new in 4 years, why not just account for the cost of depreciation of owning that car and stick in the 3.8 x51 in my current owned fro mnew vehicle? I know it sounds ridiculous, but i'm sort of justifying it as the financially sensible choice to myself!

If I do this (and i'm leaning towards it) I think I will get the aerokit/wheels I like/tubi or PSE exhaust and maybe motons (last bit may be overkill)

Although I am not quite in the same school as 'mootym my cars are disposable', at the end of the day, pretty much any modern car depreciates so I may as well get the most out of it
Old 05-25-2007, 09:37 AM
bull30
Burning Brakes

As a bunch of juvenile men, can we all agree that NO car has too much power and ALL cars can be improved via a bigger motor/more power/more wheel spinning/tire smoking?
Yes...my CS needs 100hp more for sure.....but my dad's GT3 RS could use another 50 I think, so...
Actually, I don't totally agree... I'm quite happy with the power in the Roadster... It's just a great cruising machine...

I will agree that the Cayman is under powered... There's a bunch of cars for a lot less money that will out-perform the CS... The BMW M3s stomp all over it at the autoX's...
Old 05-25-2007, 10:23 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually, I don't totally agree... I'm quite happy with the power in the Roadster... It's just a great cruising machine...
I am curious.....is your Roadster faster than a Cayman S.....???
Old 05-25-2007, 02:41 PM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

I will agree that the Cayman is under powered... There's a bunch of cars for a lot less money that will out-perform the CS... The BMW M3s stomp all over it at the autoX's...
Now that's a bit of an interesting point since the CS is faster than your Roadster by a fair margin.
A CS is no slower than an M3 though it is more money. I think the people getting beat by M3's in Autox should learn to drive their cars more efficiently. I have trounced a few M's at the track and autox...some well driven, others less so. I have no power mods on my car (save a desnork).
Old 05-25-2007, 06:51 PM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM
I am curious.....is your Roadster faster than a Cayman S.....???
Not really sure... The gear ratio on the Roadster is very wide lending itself to high-speed driving... I really bought it because it looks so damn good and was in showroom condition... 1993 with 18,000 miles and perfect inside and out...

I drive my wife's 993 C4S all the time and I would have to rate that as a more pleasurable experience than my CS...
Old 05-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

My stock CS is faster than my buddy's RSA with headers, exhaust, cup airbox and chip....and that car is lighter as well....
Different experience but you can't say you sold the CS for the Roadster to get better performance; more pleasure in your eyes or a better look or a drop top or whatever is perefectly valid but not that it handles stops or goes better.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:46 PM
bull30
Burning Brakes

My stock CS is faster than my buddy's RSA with headers, exhaust, cup airbox and chip....and that car is lighter as well....
Different experience but you can't say you sold the CS for the Roadster to get better performance; more pleasure in your eyes or a better look or a drop top or whatever is perefectly valid but not that it handles stops or goes better.
You are correct... I never claimed the Roadster to have better performance... I bought it because it suited my taste in cars better than the CS...

Just took best of show today... That's my 3rd best of show with the Roadster...

Quick Reply: BYE BYE Cayman - HELLO America Roadster