Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ride for me.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 03:04 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bet
These are some initial impressions (I only have 475 miles on it right now and am still in the break in period – however, I do drive it everyday and I am desperately anxious to get the 2k on it to rev it above 4200). Therefore, any power discussions will have to come later.

FYI – some options that effect the drive: PASM, Sport Chrono and the 19” Carrera classics.

The turn-in and agility of the CS versus the 996 C2 is quite dramatic. The CS is much more willing to turn in into a corner. It just feels so willing and tossable, while the 996 feels slower to turn in and feels much heavier (even though my 01 996 was close to the weight of the CS) in comparison. The 996 never lacked for grip in the corners and the neither does the CS, however, the mid engine layout of the CS requires more diligent use of the throttle than the 996’s rear engine design required. Overall the CS is more fun to me to drive at public road speeds because of the great turn in and the ease of which to carry speed into a corner. However, I do miss the ability to jump on the throttle earlier in a corner. At this point I really can’t comment on the power as I have not been able to rev past 4200 rpms.

I think the suspension and chassis of the CS are a big improvement over the 996. The sportiness is definitely there, but the ride is so much better than 996. Even with 19” wheels the CS (PASM in normal) handles rough pavement much better than the 996 did with 17” wheels. It doesn’t “crash” over things and ride is more controlled. Part of this is definitely attributed to PASM. I drove a couple of CS without PASM and I didn’t like the ride on 19” wheels. Interesting along these same lines I drove a couple of 997’s while shopping (both the base with and without PASM and an S) didn’t think the ride difference was a great as I did with the CS. All that said I think the layout and weight distribution of the CS provides a agile sports car type of ride. The 996 does not have as a sophisticated ride as the CS but at the same time it seemed more GT in its behavior. I know that sounds somewhat contradictory considering the crashing over rough pavement comment. In comparing the CS and 997 the difference really starts to show as the 997 has really stepped up the GT feel from the 996. The increased chassis rigidity and improvements in the suspension have really isolated many of the crash and bang type of noises and movements from the 996. However, the CS felt so light and agile compared to any of the 997 models. While I can’t comment on power yet, the CS engine seems more rev happy than the bigger displacement 997 engines (but similar to the 3.4 in my 996, which is a good thing). However, the power advantage is definitely there in the 997S and I can see why people want it, but the car still felt somewhat heavy compared to the CS.

Change PASM to sport and things change dramatically. You can feel every single imperfection in the road and the ride definitely turns more track oriented with much more stiff type of ride. I think the PASM is a must have option. The ride is just so much more sophisticated than the standard suspension (hardcore track junkies would likely want something more track oriented though). I think it really transforms the ride and handling of the car with 19” wheels in particular. Sport Chrono is another interesting option. The throttle mapping is night and day different. With sport mode makes the car “feels” more sporty as the throttle response is greatly improved. Must have option? Not sure on that yet. I do prefer the sport mode for daily driving but I could see how it would be a pain on the track. It doesn’t add any power just changes the amount of pedal travel (it changes other things but I haven’t had the chance to experience them yet).

Other tidbits: Fit and finish of the CS is superior to the 996. The interior materials are much better. I really like the new interiors. Unfortunately mine has an interior squeak so I don’t think that has been improved from the 996. I am disappointed with the outside sound at idle though (way to quiet – even my wife made this comment). The Bose is vastly superior to the Hi/Fi option in my 996, but it isn’t as consistent over the source material. The temperature gauge is crap…it is numbed/dumbed down so that it stays pegged at 175. I wish the car had a oil temp gauge. I am not sure on the shifter yet. It feels like a toy compared to the ssk I had in the 996.

Overall I am very pleased at this point with my decision. It is just a flat out fun car to drive. The CS is an improvement over the 996 in most areas and I don’t seem to have lost anything in the other areas.
my sentiments exactly

the 996 is a better car if you need 4 seats, otherwise...
Old 05-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

It looks like Caymans are best when painted black! Nice.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:53 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

Other tidbits: Fit and finish of the CS is superior to the 996. The interior materials are much better. I really like the new interiors. Unfortunately mine has an interior squeak so I don’t think that has been improved from the 996. I am disappointed with the outside sound at idle though (way to quiet – even my wife made this comment).
remove that and the squeak disappears.

heve fun

craig
Old 05-16-2007, 05:46 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 83 Posts

Very nice! I really like the Sport Classics on the Cayman, moreso than on the 911 even.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:02 PM
kellera6
6th Gear

I must resist temptation and look the other way
Old 05-26-2007, 10:00 AM
eidolon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
Sweet!

Black cars are my favorite...they instill cleaning discipline, don't they?
No Doubt!
Old 06-13-2007, 09:43 PM
MrClean
Instructor

Nice writeup and I agree with you on needing an oil temp gauge. It's weird to me that a sports car like this does not have one. I guess the same can be said about LSD, but I digress...

Quick Reply: New ride for me.