Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really turned off ... Good bye Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 09:34 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by akif
Hey Murat,

You mentioned getting stuck, and that run-flats would get you to a repair shop.

Don't you have the tire-goo (or whatever it's called), and the compressor?
I believe it's standard equipment on 987s.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Niels Jørgensen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, After 12 years of trouble free driving, I suddenly had 3 flats in a matter of months on our BMW a couple of years ago. Freak accidents, I guess...
Old 05-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Murat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
I believe it's standard equipment on 987s.
I think I do in the front trunk. Never tried using it though. I should...
Old 05-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Murat
Advanced

Originally Posted by Niels Jørgensen
FWIW, After 12 years of trouble free driving, I suddenly had 3 flats in a matter of months on our BMW a couple of years ago. Freak accidents, I guess...
Can you elaborate? Did you have run-flat's ? Was it nails, screws, etc? How far did you go, etc?
Old 05-28-2007, 04:13 AM
Niels Jørgensen
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had screws/nails in the rears twice, once a tire was "torn" on something (normal tires).

My point was that statistically speaking, flats may occur once every 2 years, but in reality it could be 3 times in a month, then nothing for six years.

Alternatively, look for construction work along your normal route - maybe someone's be transporting scrap, dropping nails all over the road.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:14 AM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Niels Jørgensen
I had screws/nails in the rears twice, once a tire was "torn" on something (normal tires).

My point was that statistically speaking, flats may occur once every 2 years, but in reality it could be 3 times in a month, then nothing for six years.

Alternatively, look for construction work along your normal route - maybe someone's be transporting scrap, dropping nails all over the road.

I've been driving for over 40 years and I've never had a flat, so according to your stats I'm way overdue. My wife on the other hand gets a flat about about every 3 - 4 years. The big differance is where we drive, and the attention I give to my tires. Although I've never had a flat, I've had tires repaired to remove nails that I observed because of lowered tire pressure. I check my tire pressure at least monthly.

It always amazes me what people are willing to drive over without taking evasive action. About a week ago I came across a recent accident scene , and there was still glass strewn across the intersection. I saw car after car drive over the glass without trying to avoid it. As a matter of fact I was the only driver who took the effort to avoid the glass by driving in another lane. So I'm not certain if it's inattention or indifferance, but lots of drivers seem to think that their tires are indestructable.

Moreover with the ever improving quality of tires and TPMS becoming standard on most cars, I would expect that tires will be repaired long before they go flat.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Molly
Instructor

Originally Posted by Murat
but since my existing tires are 18" (i think), it would be extra cost for me to switch to 17" at this moment. Right?
It would obviously cost you some money to get both 17" wheels and tires at this point. However, your 18s are probably worth about as much on the used market anyway. Sell them on ebay, then get you some 17s. Better yet, get you some used 17s from ebay from someone who upgraded to 18s. More better yet, find someone with 17s to swap whole wheels and tires with you plus give you some cash.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:56 AM
Niels Jørgensen
Addict
Rennlist Member

My statistics were grabbed out of thin air, it was just an example - Before I had the three flats in a month, two years ago, I had driven 15 years without a single flat tire.

Again, a flat tire is an accident; Whatever you do to avoid it, your luck can and probably will run out eventually, and even when it does, there's no guarantee it won't happen again the next day.

People have won the lottery twice, sh*t happens.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:43 PM
mborkow
Drifting

murat, if you really want 17s, i am sure there is someone who will swap wheels with you...they'd prob through in some $ as well to sweeten the offer...
Old 05-31-2007, 11:12 AM
Murat
Advanced

I have not decided yet. I bought two new tires last time and I was able to buy the protection plan this time. So i'm covered at least cost-wise. I won't be buying another car or tires for a while. Maybe i'll think about the A5 this winter.
Don't get me wrong. I love driving my car. It's my first and only Porsche, and can't even compare it to any other car I drove so far in my life. The steering, handling, brakes...I'm not a professional driver or not even an enthusiast, but my observation is after i had my car, every other car's brakes seem very loose...as if nothing happens until you brake half way, and then right after that point the brakes kick in, and cause a jerky stop (even on brand new cars with brand new brakes). On my car however, the brake reaction is very evenly distributed among the travel of the pedal. I love my brakes.
I know I'm changing the subject, but is that a normal feeling?
Old 05-31-2007, 07:09 PM
fast1
Race Car

Brake feel varies significantly between cars, but there's no question that Porsche builds superb brakes for the highway and the track.

The only problem with a Porsche is that it spoils you, and when you buy some other car, you'll find yourself longing for the driving feel of a Porsche. I learned this lesson from the school of hard knocks.

Thank God that Porsche builds a Boxster so that it's not necessary to spend a $100K to enjoy what Porsche has to offer.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:50 AM
NYSpeedRacer84
Track Day

I'll trade my 17s for your 18s...brand new rear tires were mounted and fronts are still very good...
Old 06-04-2007, 12:31 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Originally Posted by NYSpeedRacer84
I'll trade my 17s for your 18s...brand new rear tires were mounted and fronts are still very good...
i knew there'd be a least one generous RLer who would help you solve the problem of how to get rid of 18s for 17s ;-)
Old 06-17-2007, 02:37 AM
Triblack987S
7th Gear

I've never had a flat in my '05 987S.....7800 mis. I did briefly own a new '05 Mini Cooper S with run flats and had 3 flats in 6 mos. They can be repaired despite BMW's protestations to the contrary, but they are very expensive replacements. And the 335i may have 300 hp but it is not a Porsche. I also owned a new '01 Z3 M roadster with 315 hp. It had a wee bit more straight line go but it did not reward the way the 987S does in the twisties. Good Luck!
Old 06-17-2007, 11:11 AM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

Some great comments and input from everyone.
Are there construction zones or new housing development in your area ?
is your commute along the same roads as those new developments where work trucks, contractors travel ? nails, screws and metallic debris fly out of those pickup and contractor vehicles all the time. A lot of those guys use their truck beds as trash cans. On my Motorcycle I am a lot closer to the ground and the stuff you see is amazing. From a self preservation point I also never ever stay or drive for long behind those types of vehicles.
Also watch the outside of corners as well. loose parts and bits fly out of those work trucks and get pushed to the outer edges of the road.

Quick Reply: Really turned off ... Good bye Boxster