Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really turned off ... Good bye Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Murat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really turned off ... Good bye Boxster

I'm really fed up with my flat tire situation. I've had my 4th flat tire last weekend. This is the 4th in one year i owned this car. There is no spare in the Boxster, and every time i get a flat, it's within one inch to the edge, so it's not repairable. I'm tired of waiting for tow, getting towed and buying new tires every time.
Plus I hate the audio system. It skips playing cd's. It doesn't play mp3's. Ipod connection is a science project of its own.
As you can tell, I'm over the "honeymoon" stage with my car, and into the "complaint" stage
I think I'm selling my boxster s and getting a bmw 335 with run flat tires.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:51 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

run flats do not mean that you can just ignore flat tires
Old 05-22-2007, 12:09 AM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wait until you need to replace a run flat.
better yet, test drive a run flat......
Old 05-22-2007, 09:15 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

I've had my 4th flat tire last weekend.

At the risk of jinxing myself, I've been driving for over 40 years and I've never had one flat. Why are you getting so many flats??? As far as the radio is concerned, I agree with you, but I knew that going in. If the radio bothers you that much just get an upgrade.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:28 AM
mborkow
Drifting

i wouldn't put the fault of a flat tire on the vehicle. porsche doesn't make the tires, or the wheels themselves even right? i've had 4 flats in SF, but on 3 different cars.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:58 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

I have dealt with two tire issues in my 996. I am not giving up a car for tire issues, so what I would recommend is you go get 17" wheels (which I believe work on the 987). 19" wheels provide NO benefit for street driving (or arguably track). 18s provide little benefit for street - so get 17s and enjoy pothole protection.

On a side note - the 18"/19" tire options available on the 997, and no spare, are definitely making me think twice about it as my next car....
Old 05-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pl
wait until you need to replace a run flat.
better yet, test drive a run flat......
I agree. My wife has a 328xi with RF's - they're incredibly noisy and expensive to replace. That's why when I leased the car, I bought the tire/wheel insurance package that will replace (not repair) a flat tire for any reason. It's my understanding that punctures through the tread (not sidewall) require replacement, so it's worth it for the peace of mind. And remember, BMWs have no spare either.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:46 AM
bull30
Burning Brakes

When I run tours, I always have to give the speech that PUBLIC ROADS do not have aprons like race tracks... If you ride the outside or cut corners you stand a chance of getting a flat or worse, a bent wheel... Even after the speech I have video of participants trying to cut the corners... Common sense must prevail...

I run my routes 8-10 times before I take anyone out on the run and I've been doing this for 10 years without a flat...

It's not the car... Believe me... More than likely driver error

My guess is you will have the same problem with the next car... You will just be stuck on the side of the road changing a tire...
Old 05-22-2007, 11:28 AM
vladie22
Instructor

Received 218 Likes on 36 Posts

why would you get rid of a car because of flat tire issues ? get the tire insurance at the dealer , or buy run flats , but don't blame the car .
Old 05-22-2007, 12:15 PM
Murat
Advanced

Thanx everyone for the comments. I guess i just wanted to vent. I drive my car to work everyday. I've already got 17k miles on it ( in one year ). I have no idea why i'm getting so many flats. I owned my previous car for 5 years, and I had only one flat i can remember of. I have not changed my driving habits since then.
I don't take it to tracks. This is happening in the city. Last two times i caught in bad timing so i couldn't get the tire protection plan, this time i bought two tires from big'o'tires and they were able to offer tire protection.
By the way all of the 4 flats were on the rear tires.
1. Switching to 17 inch tires means i need to replace the wheels as well, right?
2. Could you elaborate on the "cutting the corners" ? I don't understand what you mean.

Thanks again.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Murat
Advanced

Originally Posted by vladie22
why would you get rid of a car because of flat tire issues ? get the tire insurance at the dealer , or buy run flats , but don't blame the car .
Are run flats available for a boxster s? I didn't know that.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Murat
Advanced

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
run flats do not mean that you can just ignore flat tires
they'll at least get me to a repair shop, won't they? Two of my flats happened on sunday when it was really a challenge to pump air at every station to go a bit further to find an open shop, or wait and call AAA for tow.

Do you guys believe run-flats are useless?
Old 05-22-2007, 02:15 PM
vladie22
Instructor

Received 218 Likes on 36 Posts

runflat tires are available in a variety of sizes,includeing those that will fit the Boxster wheels . i am assuming you have the 18' wheels (no worries as runflat tires come in 17 & 19 in. sizes as well). and yes , the run flat will allow you to still drive a short distance with no air pressure in the tire if you are not in the area of a tire shop . the sidewalls are reinforced(xtra stiff) to support the weight of the car even without air - the tradeoff for this is a rougher ride during day to day driving , hence the replies you are getting about the ride of the car w/runflats .
Old 05-22-2007, 03:23 PM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Murat
Could you elaborate on the "cutting the corners" ? I don't understand what you mean.

Thanks again.
I wasn't trying to insult you... My exwife always got flat tires too... Most of the time the passenger side... She was constantly running the passenger side tire too close to the edge of the road where all the crap accummulates...

Also, there's no apron or room for error on most public roads... It gets rough in a hurry on the edge of the pavement...

Moral of the story: Keep your sneakers on the pavement!
Old 05-22-2007, 03:32 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts
Default Druther deal with flat tires with the Boxster than extreme high oil temperatures...

Originally Posted by Murat
I'm really fed up with my flat tire situation. I've had my 4th flat tire last weekend. This is the 4th in one year i owned this car. There is no spare in the Boxster, and every time i get a flat, it's within one inch to the edge, so it's not repairable. I'm tired of waiting for tow, getting towed and buying new tires every time.
Plus I hate the audio system. It skips playing cd's. It doesn't play mp3's. Ipod connection is a science project of its own.
As you can tell, I'm over the "honeymoon" stage with my car, and into the "complaint" stage
I think I'm selling my boxster s and getting a bmw 335 with run flat tires.
the new BMW 335 engine seems inclined to manifest...

Reports are on the track, oil temp climbs high enough in just a couple of laps that engine enters limp home mode.

Even if one doesn't track the car, one has to be concerned about engine longevity with what are probably higher than "normal" oil temperatures.

Lastly, word is the non-turbo BMW 3 car is the better car, cheaper too.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Really turned off ... Good bye Boxster