Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster S + Cayman like hardtop = Best of both worlds?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 12:01 AM
98carrera4S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster S + Cayman like hardtop = Best of both worlds?

Saw this in a UK magazine a while back, and finally found a web site for the french company that makes them. IMO, this is a really attractive hardtop for the 987 Boxster that gives it a side profile resembling a Cayman:

D. Moris Equipments 987 hardtop

Much better than the clumsy "bowler hat" hardtop offered by Porsche:

Porsche factory 987 hardtop

I wonder if D. Moris Equipments has a US distributor? Does anyone know?

For those debating between the Boxster and Cayman, this might be a way to get close to having the best of both worlds - Just slap a Cayman S front bumper on, and you'd end up with an open top convertible for the summer and a Cayman-like hardtop "coupe" for inclement seasons.

You wouldn't get the structural rigidity of the Cayman of course, but the Boxster is plenty stiff, and the cars are essentially the same under the skin. With the Boxster S priced at $3400 less than the Cayman S, the final price would be likely close to a wash.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:23 AM
Murat
Advanced

i'd be curious to know how good the hard top is at sound isolation. Considering the engine is actually right behind the seat, if it doesn't help much, i don't see any reason to upgrade to the hard top. What other advantages does the hard top have?
Old 05-31-2007, 07:00 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

I agree the aftermarket top does look great, and better than what Porsche offers.

I suppose the hardtop provides some aditional body rigidity, and it will deaden the sound of the exhausts to some extent.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:10 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
I agree the aftermarket top does look great, and better than what Porsche offers.

I suppose the hardtop provides some aditional body rigidity, and it will deaden the sound of the exhausts to some extent.
I think I read somewhere on Rennlist that the Cayman looking hard top doesn't allow the rear trunk to be opened. Can anyone comment on that? Is that true or not?
Old 06-01-2007, 12:17 AM
mbodo
Racer

two words:

speedster humps.

where they at??
Old 06-01-2007, 12:33 PM
98carrera4S
Advanced

Originally Posted by Murat
I don't see any reason to upgrade to the hard top. What other advantages does the hard top have?
The hard top is useful in climates where a ragtop isn't ideal year round (e.g., the Pacific Northwest where you can drive the car year round, but 6 months of the year are soggy/wet. Put the hardtop on during the winter, and use the ragtop the other 3 seasons.

Originally Posted by Charlie C
I think I read somewhere on Rennlist that the Cayman looking hard top doesn't allow the rear trunk to be opened. Can anyone comment on that? Is that true or not?
Good question! I actually don't know. Looking at the photos, it seems like the edge of the hardtop stops at the hinge for the rear trunk, but it would definitely be something good to confirm before considering one of these.

Incidentally, I sent e-mail to the company inquiring about the price and whether they have a US distributor. They don't have a distributor here, but are willing to ship them from France. The rep said the regular price is ~$3500, but that they've got a "limited time special" on for ~$2500. It comes unpainted, so you'd have to get a body shop to paint it match your car.

Of course, my French is so rusty, I might have been asking for directions to the nearest bus stop for all I know...
Old 06-01-2007, 02:38 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

98carrera4S - Were they quotting dollars or euros?
Old 06-04-2007, 01:41 AM
NYSpeedRacer84
Track Day

I'm very interested....
Old 06-04-2007, 09:07 PM
98carrera4S
Advanced

Originally Posted by fast1
98carrera4S - Were they quotting dollars or euros?
They actually quoted me in Euros, and I did a quick mental conversion into dollars without checking exchange rates. Given how poorly the dollar is doing these days, probably worth re-doing the calculation with the proper rates. Anyway, here are the prices in Euros that they quoted:

. Prix catalogue à 3373,00 € (catalog price)
. Offre Spéciale à 2400,00 € (special offer)

Quick Reply: Boxster S + Cayman like hardtop = Best of both worlds?