Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decision time: Cayman S or Lotus Exige S

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 08:55 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Caymen S, no question for all the reasons stated.

The ones I have been in have had sloppy shift linkage - i would want a short shift kit.

No LSD is enough on a philosophical note to boycott new CS prices - porsche be damed.
What I admire about Honda is the commitment they made to the S2k.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lusoporsche
Hello, time to lurk out I maybe in the position to decide between a Cayman S or a Exige 240S in the near future... if some stars align. After reading some rather interesting comparisons between the 997 GT3 and the Loti, I wonder what would be your opinnions comparing it to the "croc"? I was a bit surprised that some owners actually traded a GT3 for an Exige, the GT3 is my dream car (cant afford it).

A quick profile, the car won't be a daily driver in the sense that I won't use to be stuck in traffic or for boring commutes, I got a diesel shed for that. But it will be used for some long delayed massive europeean driving trips and every-chance-I-got drives on any given weekday! It will not be exclusively a tracktoy as I intend to use it for long trips and hope to cover every great driving road in europe for the next few years! As you may have guessed I'm a total petrolhead and cars are really my life's great passion.

I understand perfectly the differences between the two, but only have tested the Lotus Elise so far. IMHO There's nothing the Cayman can do to replicate the fantastic inertia free handling and (un-assisted) steering of the Loti, being much heavier, the Exige also being cheaper. On the other hand the Exige can't touch the Cayman's fantastic engine (oh, that sound) and drivetrain and it's Jekyl and Hyde capabilities.

I will only test the Cayman if the aforelentioned stars align, so meanwhile nothing wrong in getting your vision on this, especially from people with experience in both cars.

Does the Cayman really feel like a heavy, fat car compared to the Exige or just a heavier grown-up version? Does it become boring with time or is it a continous joy to own and drive? I've been reading great things on the CS steering and brake feel, are they put to shame by the Loti? I already eliminated all other possible competitors (Z4 coupe, 350Z) and before you mention the Boxster I realize it's better value for money but I'm a coupe man all the way!

For the record I'm 34 and owned a Mini Cooper S for the past 5 years that I love but I think I'm finally going to be able to realize my dream and buy a mid-engined driver's car.

Edit: sorry for the long post!
Sent you a PM.

-Chris

Quick Reply: Decision time: Cayman S or Lotus Exige S