Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb Looking for first Porsche: Used Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Nuvolari
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb Looking for first Porsche: Used Cayman S

Found one. Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by Nuvolari; 03-25-2008 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Dave DE
Racer

Rob,
As you probably already know, the full leather option is more rare than any of the others you have listed. It sounds like you've covered the usual bases looking, so it will just take some time for one to your liking to come up.

If you get impatient, you might consider dropping the full leather.

Happy Hunting!
Dave
Old 02-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Dave DE
Racer

One other thought.. The Porsche web site has links to dealer sites where you can often check inventory online. This would let you conveniently look further from home.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:41 PM
968PORSCHE
Instructor

cars.com is probably the fastest and covers the most ground. I agree with Dave on the full leather. Why not just go new? Dealers have been cutting good deals. I've heard of S cars with some options in the 50's.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Ash
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Hiya,

Not sure where you're located, but you might also want to try Craigslist (www.craigslist.org) as well. I'm in the Bay area and see Caymans pop up fairly regularly. Best of luck in the hunt!
Old 02-21-2008, 05:16 PM
YankMyLicenseYellow
8th Gear

Full leather will disqualify a ton of cars that fit all of your other requirements as others have pointed out.

More important, in my opinion, is the question of 18 versus 19 inch wheels/ PASM versus no PASM. Without PASM, some feel that the ride is harsh for street driving on 19s and 20s.

I have 19s and no PASM for the street, and run 18s on the track for better tire selection. That works for me...but you need to decide for yourself.

Good hunting!
Old 02-22-2008, 10:08 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

As others have said, having full leather on the must have list is going to make it extremely difficult to find. When and if you find the car with full leather be ready to jump on it. Cars that have full leather were custom ordered by a customer as dealers are highly unlikely to order full leather for cars to be sold off the lot as the option is just too expensive for the car. While there are definitely good deals to be had in the used Cayman market, it is still a little early in the Cayman life cycle for the custom ordered cars to start showing up with regularity on the used the market.

Another side note on your must have options...except for the stop watch on the dash, all the other features of sports chrono (i.e. different throttle mapping, higher threshold limits of PSM, etc.) can be added after market now by a company named Softronic.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Shane D
Pro

Question

Originally Posted by bet
Another side note on your must have options...except for the stop watch on the dash, all the other features of sports chrono (i.e. different throttle mapping, higher threshold limits of PSM, etc.) can be added after market now by a company named Softronic.
How is this done? Reprogramming? New chip?

Just curious.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:07 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shane D
How is this done? Reprogramming? New chip?

Just curious.
It is my understanding it is a reprogramming. However, I admit I have not read the specifics as I already have SC on my Cayman. However, the blurbs I have read indicate you can install a button to have the on/off feature. There are some really long threads and discussions of the specifics on CC.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:38 PM
equ
Racer

As a cayman S owner, I'd second bet's suggestions and scratch the sports chrono & full leather off the must-have list.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:23 PM
Shane D
Pro

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bet
It is my understanding it is a reprogramming. However, I admit I have not read the specifics as I already have SC on my Cayman. However, the blurbs I have read indicate you can install a button to have the on/off feature. There are some really long threads and discussions of the specifics on CC.
Thanks! I joined CC a while ago but have not really drilled down in it.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:34 AM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

My car fits perfectly except for the full leather

I had full leather on my 996 and it was needed due to the ****ty plastics present

The Cayman and 997 are a world apart

Its artic silver with black leather, heated seats, bose, xenons etc... bone stock...

My car has 3200 miles on it, I bought it new December 2006

I just don't drive it enough to keep it it would be cheaper for me to hire a Gallardo every couple of months...

If you are seriously interested drop me a PM

Quick Reply: Newb Looking for first Porsche: Used Cayman S