Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back aches driving my new Boxster S -- I may have to dump the car

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 07:06 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was under the impression that the 987 and 997 cabin (dimensions, seats etc) were the same, no? With the possible exception being rearward seat travel. Does anyone have any of those funky schematics to share?

Regardless, sorry to hear of your bad news.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:24 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by wbgordon
Elusive, what do you attribute most for the comfort difference in the 997 over the 987 -- the added leg room, the better seat or the reduced pitch in the seat?
Added leg room and the reduced pitch of the seat. I was to the point in my Boxster S where I was considering removing the carpet behind the drivers seat just for that extra 1/8-1/4" of room.
I felt like I was far enough away from the steering wheel but that my feet were just too close to the pedals and I'd get this numbing feeling up my leg and in my lower back.

I've had lower back problems as well and stopped sitting on my wallet in the car and at work several years ago. Made a huge difference. As did my Temperpedic bed and getting massages every other week.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:06 AM
wbgordon
Racer

Originally Posted by 951M471 CarreraM491
While it sucks (for you) that you get back aches while driving your boxster, I really can't help but saying that it's not a "one size fits all" kind of world. We are not all built the same. We don't all wear the same size shoe, pants etc. I am tall too (6'-1/2"), and can't get into a lotus elise to save my life, but you don't hear me going around blaming lotus for designing the car the way they did. The lotus just did not fit me, so I bought a boxster s, no harm, no foul, no sore feelings. The Boxster fits me like a glove and I take nice long, comfortable trips with it and drive it everyday . I'd hate to think for them to have designed something larger, or heavier, or taller, just to fit you. Just like I'm sure elise owners would hate for Lotus to have built the elise larger.

Maybe you just need something else because obviously the boxster does not fit YOU, and you knew going it that it was smaller than your 911's. Don't whine about it and blame the car and it's design using terms like "funky ergonomics". Just realize that ergonomics are not the same for everyone, and heck even for people of the same total height things are different, that's why we have choices to make. Find what fits...and enjoy, but please don't blame a car for your bad decision.
Hey Carrera M491 (if that's what you call yourself) ... Do you comprehend the English language? Read my initial draft, dude. I've driven a ton of Boxsters and I never got back problems. It isn't a bad decision when you buy a car that APPEARS to fit. I was merely suggesting that there could have been better communication about the difference in ergonomics from the 911 to the Boxster. The salesman knew I had owned four previous 911's. What are you driving? An '82 SC? Go get a job and get off my back.

Last edited by wbgordon; 12-11-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you get a hard top?

The reason I ask is that te hard top gives extra head room so you have more room to experiment.

I dorve the 986 with GT3 seats for a few years and this caused more of a pain in the *** (practically zero padding) than pain in the back. the limiting factor with GT3 seats is that the angle between the base and the back is not adjustable.

I have the sports seats in the 987 and they are adjustable most ways but I find I tend to have then upright (maybe I like the GT3 position) but this is not a problem for me as I'm 5'10".

I still think trying different seats is the way to go.

P.S. I'm still laughing at the guys getting pains from their fat wallets !!!
Old 12-14-2008, 01:00 PM
wbgordon
Racer

You may be right, Irishdriver. I might look into Recaro's. Problem is, you never get a full chance to demo new seats, so it's a risk unto itself. I'm trying to sell the car in the meantime at the following URL (it's the "Newly Listed black on black Boxster S at the top):

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1229273611413
Old 12-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Tasty car - the only other option I ca think of is to do a little research into the foam filled seat cushions used in racing cars - they are moulded to the individual driver.

You could probably make a custom seat liner for little money to try moving the knee support points to whatever works for you. Not much space between steering wheel and the seat to play with though.

Is there any race team in your area that you could ask?
Old 12-14-2008, 10:21 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Man that is one great looking Boxster. Someone will come along, for sure. Good luck with the sale and hope things with your back get better.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 12-15-2008, 10:04 AM
wbgordon
Racer

I live in the Tampa Bay area in Florida. There's the Suncoast Porsche Club, which I will contact. Thanks for your helpful input and positive comments, Irishdriver and Eric the Plug Guy
Old 12-15-2008, 01:25 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

If you like the car, other than the seat, it seems like it would be economical to replace the existing seats with the more adjustable adaptive sport seats. I don't know what they cost from the dealer but compared to swapping cars it has to be the cheaper route. You can also test out a Boxster with the adaptive seats, which will be difficult with aftermarket seats. I've never driven a 987, but did find my 986 to have odd ergonomics and had to make several adjustments to be comfortable. I also agree with you, that to lower the seat for headroom the bottom cushion is at slightly uncomfortable angle.
Hope you find a solution.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:35 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Now the Tampa bay bridge on a sunny day in a boxster must be wonderful........
Did you consider getting a winter car and only using the boxster topless in the summer?

I fitted the spinlocks today and will put the hard top on tomorrow so I'll let you know how the headroom changes then.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:43 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Irishdriver
Now the Tampa bay bridge on a sunny day in a boxster must be wonderful........
Did you consider getting a winter car and only using the boxster topless in the summer?

I fitted the spinlocks today and will put the hard top on tomorrow so I'll let you know how the headroom changes then.
IMO that's an excellent suggestion. You can lease an '09 Corolla for around $145 a month. As far as the Boxster S is concerned, I had the same problem. As much as I loved the S, every time I took one out for an extended test drive, my back would be stiff. It probably was a combination of the low profile tires on the S combined with the stiffer suspension. Anyway I didn't buy the S and I have never regretted my decision, especially with the incredible depreciation that Boxsters are experiencing.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:42 PM
wbgordon
Racer

Re: Aron and Irishdriver's suggestions: I priced out the Porsche adaptive sport seats through the dealer at nearly $6,000. Ugh! Great seat but not worth the out of pocket on a 36-month lease where everything else on the car residualized. As to going back and forth with another vehicle, that may be the answer. I also have a five-speed '02 Jeep Wrangler, raised 2 inches with 33-inch mud tires, as a spare car and really enjoy the difference in driving. My wife's in a very comfy '07 BMW X5 4.8, unfortunately, she doesn't drive a manual transmission. I think, tho, I'll survive. I must admit it's killing me seeing the black Boxster in my garage and not driving it. It's such a great driving car! Maybe I can adapt. I sure hope.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:48 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

I think, tho, I'll survive. I must admit it's killing me seeing the black Boxster in my garage and not driving it. It's such a great driving car! Maybe I can adapt. I sure hope.

If there is a CarMax near you, take it to them and ask what they will pay you for your S. Otherwise take your S to the nearest Potrsche Dealer and ask them to quote you a price. Please be seated before the price is given to you. Being armed with this information may help you in your adaptation.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:32 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

You get a couple more inches with the hardtop fitted... I have put mine on now. This could give you more options in terms of raising the seat.

If you want to change seats you have to spend time on ebay, I found my 987 hardtop there and got it for less than half price. I even picked it up in the Porsche zentrum where it was stored so I knew it was OK. It's black but it looks cool enough on my yellow car !!!
Old 12-17-2008, 11:41 PM
wbgordon
Racer

Originally Posted by fast1
I think, tho, I'll survive. I must admit it's killing me seeing the black Boxster in my garage and not driving it. It's such a great driving car! Maybe I can adapt. I sure hope.

If there is a CarMax near you, take it to them and ask what they will pay you for your S. Otherwise take your S to the nearest Potrsche Dealer and ask them to quote you a price. Please be seated before the price is given to you. Being armed with this information may help you in your adaptation.
I did that a few weeks ago. The dealer offered 14k less than what I paid 16 days earlier. I said no thanks.

Quick Reply: Back aches driving my new Boxster S -- I may have to dump the car