Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about sport chrono

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 12:03 PM
troppo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Question about sport chrono

Just wondering if I buy a car w/o sport chrono, can I still accomplish the same e-gas responsiveness with an ecu flash??

thanks
Old 04-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Dave DE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. I've heard that at least some flash suppliers can include the equivalent of the sport button being on.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:31 PM
ettsn
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, most of them do that (Softronics, etc). Someone also makes a doohickey (technical term) that plugs into the throttle switch and accomplishes the same.

By the way, if you're looking at a Cayman, check out caymanclub.net too. It's the main Cayman forum, run by the PCA Cayman chairman. Answers to all the questions you have likely live there.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:15 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I know you can accomplish the throttle response and you can even get a button to turn it off an on....however, I am not sure you get the higher threshold before PSM intervention.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

I would seriously doubt that. There is a lot more going on within the Sport Chrono system then a simple 'aggressive throttle.'

See here:

Effects of the Sport Chrono function on the Motronic

The optionally available Sport Chrono Package notably increases driving pleasure and the vehicle’s performance. The engine is also affected when the Sport Chrono button is activated.

The following features are initiated:

More sporty load cycle behaviour
When the Sport Chrono function is selected, the transfers between acceleration and deceleration become sportier. This means that injection and ignition are switched on and off more directly when accelerating and particularly when decelerating, resulting in a more spontaneous and dynamic load cycle.
More abrupt engine speed cut-off
To increase driving comfort a ’gentle’ cut-off is generally used when accelerating and reaching the engine speed cut-off setting. In the process the throttle is continuously closed when approaching the limit range for speed.
The Sport Chrono function facilitates additional acceleration potential through the use of an abrupt engine speed cut-off by switching off individual cylinders (injection and ignition) in a rotating fashion just shortly before the engine speed limit. The perceptible limit of acceleration lets the driver know if an upshift is executed too late. This allows the driver to learn how to identify the optimum shift point with more accuracy and to take fuller advantage of the engine’s potential for acceleration.
When the Sport Chrono button is pressed, the abrupt cut-off is active in 1st to 5th gears for the manual gearbox (without Sport Chrono function only in 1st and 2nd gears) and in the manual gate “M” for Tiptronic transmission.
More dynamic accelerator pedal characteristic
The electronic accelerator pedal (electronic throttle) has been used on the 911 Carrera models since model year 2000. With this system, the accelerator pedal position is converted into electrical signals via potentiometers and forwarded as a control signal to the electromechanical throttle via the Motronic control module. The “conversion” between accelerator pedal angle and throttle angle is performed in the Motronic control unit. Sensitivity and hence driveability in the lower speed and load range are factors here, as is even transmission across the entire pedal or throttle travel.

When the Sport Chrono button is active, a more dynamic accelerator pedal characteristic produces a more spontaneous engine response, underpinning the sporty character. This is achieved via a steeper rise for the electronic throttle characteristic by means of a shorter “conversion” between accelerator pedal and throttle angle. This means that the throttle is opened further or faster with the same accelerator pedal travel and selected Sport Chrono function (with Tiptronic S only in the manual “M” position).

Quick Reply: Question about sport chrono