Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S best drivers car for 2009 according to MT

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 10:23 PM
RQ_GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Somewhat related - it was a tough decision but I decided on PDK just because I thought it'd be better on the track. Have only had it on the track a couple of times for partial sessions so not an expert.

Since I am not ready to drive this on "auto/sport plus", the two oddities in manual mode that bug me are:

1) Inconsistencies on whether it auto shifts at redline or not. I did not expect it to but sometimes it did. Some other times it let me bounce of the limiter. Consistency would be nice, but this is obviously just a minor gripe and not a real world problem.

2) Bigger deal: opposite of the above, I am still not sure when it will want to downshift. It should never do it on manual mode. Which means coming hard on a brake zone from 5 to 2 I expect 3 clicks to get me there and not be surprised after turn in. I can't tell conclusively that it does this in sport+ at this time.

It would be great if manual meant just that, no computerized up or down shifts, period. Would give me more confidence.

Just venting, possible that this is all in my head / lack of experience. I do think PDK is great technology.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

If you read your manual, your questions will be answered. Do try Sport Plus Auto mode however. It is like magic.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:51 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Doug: I'm afraid you might be correct on all accounts.

Jack
Old 09-13-2009, 07:19 PM
RQ_GT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
If you read your manual, your questions will be answered. Do try Sport Plus Auto mode however. It is like magic.
Bob, because I respect your opinion I took the time to find my manual and try to re-read the relevant portions before replying. Possibly I missed them.

Appreciate any pointers to what PDK does in manual mode (sport or sport plus).

As far as Sport Plus Auto - tried it. Twice. Then it downshifted as I was trail braking in Homestead turn 6. Did not upset much of anything because I wasn't anywhere near 8/10, but still, disconcerting!

Love the car and the mods are on order so more comments after thatt.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:37 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pedsurg
Doug: I'm afraid you might be correct on all accounts.
Well that would be a first..
Old 09-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Dave-ROR
Advanced

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
I'm going to predict that the age of the stick shift is coming to an end, or at least to a significant minority. Consider how many "supercars" have flappy paddle gearboxes, yet nobody complains about their involvement? So maybe, newest, slickest tech aside, this is simply the way of the future and MT chose to sample it on this car.

I also thought I remembered reading somewhere that Porsche said it expects to sell some outrageous number (percentage wise) of PDK cars compared to standard shift cars...something like 75%? Has anyone else read this?
Sadly, I agree with you. Of course, how many owners of those supercars do you see really driving them? Sure, you see a few at the track, but not many.

I don't mind the PDK in the Panamera, or any other luxury sports sedan, luxury car, trucks, etc.. but in a sports car I will never own something that doesn't have a real manual transmission.

I think it's sad to see so many automatic/DSG style transmissions in sports cars these days.

Then again, I don't like seeing them at car shows instead of being driven on track either.

To each their own though.

Quick Reply: Cayman S best drivers car for 2009 according to MT