Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reivew of Pioneer AVIC BT910 Nav/Bluetooth/ipod/Sat Radio Install ('09 Boxster)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 03:00 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 721 Likes on 391 Posts
Default Reivew of Pioneer AVIC BT910 Nav/Bluetooth/ipod/Sat Radio Install ('09 Boxster)

Attached you'll see pics of the setup. The factory mike could have been used but would require splicing to get it to hook into the OEM Pioneer mike set up. Since the mike for the Pioneer system is included my installer used it and mounted it up above the driver visor in the corner. This way its un obstrusive as some suggestions include mounting the mike in the dash in the instrument pod and on the dash. Also it better captures my voice for hands free. So far I've recieved and placed calls with the top down at speed >65mph with no problem other than wind noise on my end (hearing that is)...folks say they hear me fine...which is amazing.

The Nav/head unit is mounted with about 1/4 -1/2 recessed mounting. Can be mounted flush using the Bezel I obained from Suncoast Porsche but my installer has done alot of Porsches and exotics and he says with this being a convertible he chose that option cause it does allow some shading of the screen when the top is down so I can see the screen. So far I can concur as even in bright sunshine with the slight recess I can see the screen although I have to keep it at its brightest setting. Pushed flush I can see how lots of detail would fade

As for options...screen show that much. Maps much more detailed. Uses similar to a handheld or windows CPU as it does have MSN direct links to..haven't used that but I can get movie times, traffic, and stock prices to name a few from the head unit. Bluetooth hookup and syn of contact books has been good although limited to 500 entries I think which sucks if you have a large PDA or iphone like I do. Dialing is easy and quick. Also can recieve and send messages thru the unit I am told although I haven't figured that one out or do I condone texting while driving! CD is self explanatory and AV Menu screens alow you to go to and choose from multitudes of options to include FM, AM, Sat Radio (I chose XM but you can get Sirrus), and also HD Radio.

Ipod is great and clear. Immediately notes my ipod classic 120gig and loads all playlist and data/directory. This can be turned off as it does it each time I select ipod and can take a few seconds to minutes depending on how big ones library is. You control things from the unit which is touch screen just like your ipod and IF you have handsfree controls on the steering wheel with an additional link/module/cable you can set that up easily. Ipod did require a specific cable but it also allows video to the head unit as well as music. Check the pics below and you can see the unit playing Micheal Jackson's "Smooth Criminal" easily. Pics were crisp and fast without any lag. Unit will play any properly encoded DVD and a few other forms of video files too; however not the default setup is only at rest with parking brake on which is the industry standard I am told. Also notice how lower sceen displays ipod album covers and title of what song is playing if video/music is appropriately tagged. Nav unit also displays AV source unless you want to hide this info as well.

Sat radio was like an $80 additional box that was mounted under my front passenger seat. Clear and works pretty good although not as good as my OEM Sat Radio in my BMW and my OEM PCM 3.0 in wife's Cayenne in that is does drop reception a little more often but not enough to be annoying or noticable really and the only reason I comment is that I know certain areas where Iget good reception in my other cars with Sat radio which with this setup I notice either a weaker signal from the Sat or a few more frequent breaks in signal. But not enough to make Sat radio's use unpleasant.

Note if you have Bose (I do you may have to move the factory amp around or go without...I chose to use the factory head unit to power my system to include Bose which required some relocation of the center channel and amp by my install shop) Otherwise the factory unit has enough power to drive all the OEM speakers in each setup. Also note that upgrades are done thru SD card which has a slot on the face of the unit. Lighting can be changed to suit your vehicle and this unit has a DVD/CD slot at the top as you can see which cuts down on things to break like the motorized face plates that alot of Aftermarket NAV units have and use that offer the FULL screen displays which offer bigger pics and use touch screen fully across the face. I like the one controller **** and two menu buttons and slightly smaller screen 6.5" vs 7" or larger. Like I said one less thing to break. GPS Nav antennatis mounted in inside my sport chrono (since I have that option and its high enough to see the Sats) while my Sat Radio ant is hidden and mounted where my center channel speaker used to be...that was removed (to be remouted later possibly in my rear wall/center console behind my right arm) however it was a little more involved and costly so I held off that part for now.

Hmm what else only thing that I do find annoying is the NAV default currently to something like 1000ft resolution/display when I 1st turn it on and after it zooms in for directions which is waay annoying. I think however its probably my doing and something I can change but haven't read yet in the manual! LOL Also Bluetooth did have trouble pairing my Blackberry Bold but worked instantly with my wife's iphone 3G...go figure. Took an evening of searching Pioneer's website but unit had most updated software and it took me updating my Blackberry's software and base OS to get it to work as I found out I had an old OS running. Now unit links flawless and instantly detects my phone and saves like 3-5 other ones for use. A nice touch on the NAV is that it lists street and highway signs in big letters across the top when driving which is nice. So for instance if you're comming up on Exit 4 The WHITE HOUSE on the highway...it will show you a miniature version of the signs for that exit showing what you'll actually be seeing like 1 mile or 1/2 mile before you actually reach the exit. However it does this so far for ALL the exits which can be annoying however it ONLY announces thru the sound exits that pertain to your selected Nav route. Like I say nice but sometimes annoying. Also you can set speed limit control and some how it knows what the local speed limit is and can verbally warn you that you are above the posted limit. Nice but in a Porsche can be quite frequent and anoying. LOL Like I said you can turn this off too. Hmm it has the ability to save your home phone, address, and info so you can just touch Call Home, Return Home, etc and the NAV will reroute you instantly OR call home to the number you stored instantly. Displays time to destination and/or next waypoint; estimated time of trip and any other trip function is adjustable and you can change what you want to see in the display. Also you have a choice of like 3-4 different maps with elevation data displayed and 3D landmarks in enabled/encoded cities. Maps are crisp with readable street names although I find myself at the 3d map mostly for the added heads up/recon data it gives me compared to what I am actually seeing on the road/out the windshield. Day night sensing is auto or manual or your choice. Map will also let you upload your own flash screens via SD so you can have it power up to your own favorite pic or caption or whatever. You can do security codes adn all that too if you want so it's a pretty configurable unit.

Okay to the biggest turn off, suprise,negative whatever you want to call it....for safety and to appease the lawyers I guess beside the warning literature on startup that all in car Navs have about NO driving and typing, texting, entering data...this unit acually LINKS this to the parking break. So you cannot enter a new address (type it) or new phone number (type it) or change AV or system settings or anything data intense while in motion. The parking brake HAS to be set. This gave me about 10 mins of dismay and confusion when I 1st picked the car up after the install as I had no clue and hadn't read the manual...so you can see why I was wondering WTF when it wouldn't let me enter a full address into the NAV to get where I was going (home) but could select those already entered previously (when the installer tested the system and road tested everything I assume by a few select POI with 2-3 miles of the store). I had the parking brake off in the parking lot which after pulling the manual and reading I discovered was why I couldn't fully utilized all the system menus. You CAN see them just certain options are grayed out. So I can understand that this is for safety's sake but it can be annoying at time...as you have to STOP and park or at least pull the brake to do some of these things. Not all but just enought to dampen some of the experience. This I think Pioneer could have left out as MOST NAV's I've used factory (my BMW i-drive and PCM 2.1 and PCM 3.0) both let you do so on the fly with the car in gear...they just warn you 1st NOT to do so when you initallized the car and systems. There is a work around that 99% of the installers know about and can do I am told you just have to ask which I may end up doing later on...it involves a lockout and splice/tap of the parking brake wire and tricks the unit into thinking that the car is stopped while it is in motion and from what I am told works well (check you tube also). Also the same holds true for video and ALL video is suspended if the parking brake on is not detected as almost every aftermarket unit I've heard off...but this too can be overided with the above mods. My bad basically I just didn't ask my install guy before the car was almost done and buttoned up cause I didn't remember. Also power on/boot up takes like 30secs to almost a min it seems although it does start playing whatever I was last doing before the main screen pops up so I see the splash/screensaver for like 10 sec then music/radio/ipod for the remaining 20-40 secs...nice to give me something to do but I'd rather have a quicker boot up sequence. Also the MSN link was and is something I don't think I'll try or would want. Its nice that they added it but its and extra cost to use after the inital 3 mos and I am sorry I just don't need stock data, traffic data (I have XM and can get it thru my subscription too but not sure if it links and updates into the NAV yet..haven't tried), movie times, and some other misc stuff thru my NAV unit in the car. Also while I like my Win Vista am not too sure I am that in love with it it to have it permanantly attached to my NAV system in the way of another Microsoft product. A+ for product placement but C for long term thought and giving owners what they want or need as I am sure this will turn off a few possible shoppers especially the ipod/apple faithful! (imagine how nice an Apple based product would be and easy to use...like the iphone...integrated into the NAV unit..good lord!)

Now for the part most of you want to know..cost. Unit took some shopping but found online for approx $550 beating out Crutchfield who wanted $1000+ and other retailers who wanted around $700-800. Sat Nav box is a separate unit and that did come from Crutchfield for $90 I think and the ipod cable was $36 or so. Custom Bezel is OEM for European Porsches that takes a double DIN aftermarket head unit and fits factory mounts and was about $75-120 from Suncoast Porsche online. Needed a European radio antenna adapter $18 and another USB adapter to get my Ipod to work correctly and fully with the Pioneer cable I had bought which was another $25. Install was custom and uses all the factory wiring, speakers, and mounts. Just an adapter/tap for the Porsche MOST bus into the Pioneer NAV units outputs was done but sound is digital and probably 90-96% of what it was before. I just loose some center channel fidelity due to the work around mentioned above. Overall labor for the install of everything was $400 which isn't bad for a custom job and all I had done. Car looks pretty factory and is retrofittable meaning I can easily take it back and have my PCR-30 reinstalled and my Bose center channel re-placed and hooked back into the system all for about 1/2 to 2/3 of the original cost in about 1 day.

Oh the install too 1 day 1/2 due to some of the electronics in the 2009 987 being different than the previous Boxster and Cayman thus require a trip to the Porsche dealer Bullietins and schematics during the install by my guy. Otherwise I am quite pleased as the car now does everything electronically that I need while allowing me to enjoy things I've got in my other vehicles that make the commute, drive or whatever more pleasant and at ease (it was a PITA trying to find the new store location as they'd moved with my Blackberry and Google maps without a functioning NAV and reminded me that while NAV isn't a necessity it does help when you have NO clue where you are going and someplace you've never ever been!). Finally cost...some of you are probably saying why not get the Porsche PCM 3.0 and have it factory with a warranty and all rather than go thru all of this. Well biggest was they had NO 2009 Boxster in the color I wanted with the equipment I wanted locally or nearby with PCM 3.0. There was only ONE an Artic Silver/black Boxster S which would have done nicely but wasn't my 1st choice in color and equipment (my car has dynamic cornering lights and most importantly sport seats, steering, shift, and the limited slip diff) and the cost just didn't seem worth it. Any PCM 3.0 car was approximately $4000 extra when you added up PCM 3.0, NAV module added to it, Ipod cable and cord which is a $400 option for Universal Audio that it entails with PCM 3.0 while only $89 for non PCM 3.0 cars...go figure on that one. And them Bluetooth module to PCM 3.0 which is an additional cost. For roughly $1000 including install I have ALL of that plus what I think and seems to be a more detailed and better performing NAV system ableit with a few extras I'd delete if I was the engineer.

So I looked at the savings in $$$ and performance and options of the two and figured I'd use that $3000 saved for options such as a Porsche Sport exhaust ....its ordered on the way from Germany as we speak and I'll still have about $400 left over after install for something else nice too for the Mrs!

Hope you enjoyed my commentary and let me know if it is helpful. Comments and criticism are welcome...just make em tactful guys! LOL

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 12-22-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pretty nice fit into the dash - good write up
Old 09-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Nice setup. I like the way you can put it back to stock quickly....you are giving me ideas... (bad ones as my wife looks over my shoulder)...
Old 09-11-2009, 01:10 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Yes I kept the CDR-30 and the harnesses are all intact. Everything is so modular nowadays so any good high end shop will know what to do and order to get the appropriate harness to link into your MOST bus and preserve all the digital connections for your stuff like the BOSE amp and CD changer etc to get everything to talk to each other. You'll need to sometimes do a work around but a good installer knows this. My shop is out of Myer Emco which is a high end audio retailer in the area (i.e Best Buy on a platinum/black card!) so he is used to custom jobs and higher end cars. He works on everything but I've seen NSX's, Lambo's, a Ferrari or two and almost every model of P-car and BMW in his shop at some time so he knows what he's dealing with. This is different from like some Best Buy or commercial shops who know how to install but in a hack and re-fit way rather than adapt the car to the stock set up and electronics. So my advise and this is the 3rd car which I've had this done is to make sure you do your research and find a good shop then you'll be quite pleased with the results. My setup easily meets or exceeds the PCM 3.0 for 1/3 cost only I don't have the logbook to use with my PCM sport chrono...which is all I lost. I am soo heartbroken! LOL ~

Good luck
Old 09-11-2009, 12:00 PM
Larry L
Race Car

Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Very clean. Most of the big box retailers use minimum-wage types to do their installs, and their work reflects that.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:19 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

that looks great. I wonder if I could do something similar with the 986 model cars?
Old 09-11-2009, 08:51 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry L
Very clean. Most of the big box retailers use minimum-wage types to do their installs, and their work reflects that.
I agree that's why sometimes it pays to pay a little bit more to the guy who has some experience with these type of cars. Afterall you don't want some guy/gal straight outta HS with his GED ripping out your MOST BUS to replace with Monster RCA cables cause he read in Car Audio that they're cool and come in 4 different colors ya know! LOL

Originally Posted by judd944
that looks great. I wonder if I could do something similar with the 986 model cars?
Spoke to my installer today and he says yes. Pretty easy to do in fact a little easier cause Porsche changed some things with the 987 cars that required a little more work finding electronics and where some things had been moved from the old 2008 987 and previous 986's but he says yeah its easy to do and any good high end shop should have no troubles (i.e. High end shop doesn't equal Best Buy! LOL...sorry Best Buy you're good for my Sharp LCD at home but have to draw the line at P-cars! )

Trending Topics

Old 09-14-2009, 10:49 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

You could for sure, I have the Pioneer AVIC Z3 in my 996.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:53 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Autosound on Nicholasville Rd. did something similar for me with my 2004 986S. Your pre-MOST BUS car will be much easier to do than mine was. PM me if you want more details.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:43 AM
hikejohn
Advanced

Gee, this sounds great....I have 2007 Cay S with CDR-24 and Bose.....think they now can install this sort of stuff...the pioneer...into it now....with nice Porsche bezel....I have been consistently getting its a real PIA message....any thoughts?
Old 11-30-2009, 04:08 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Yes do a search on www.suncoastporsche.com website for parts and the OEM bezel is made by Porsche and about $150. It is a 1 day install and any good professional shop can do it; just make sure it is somebody who is A) familiar with Porsches B) does high end/European cars C) Is NOT your local Best Buy or equivalent shop. Not to knock them as they are great for getting a flat screen or something but they just don't usually have the expertise to do the job right IMHO and you don't want some 18 or 22 y/o community college guy practicing on your $60-70k+ car! My install took 2 days total (partly due to my installers work schedule over the weekend) and about $400 labor. Parts were less than $1000 online for all (Pioneer GPS/NAV/Head unit + ipod cables + sat radio add on module and antenna).

As far as equipment goes any double DIN unit will install okay and fit and finish factory like you see in my post. Biggest thing will be integration of Bose (my installer had to bypass my amp and re-route the signal from the Pioneer to the Bose to retain surround sound) and where various parts and things are located and wired especially if you have a MOST bus which is where I say using a high end shop or installer with alot of experience comes in. Otherwise you may run into problems...so I did do some "interviewing" of shops before I found the one I use. He's in VA outside of DC in Fairfax if you want to call him for questions. But I added Sat Nav/GPS, Sat Radio, Ipod and Bluetooth at 1/3rd of the price of the OEM unit! I've researched he 2007 987 and you have lots of options to do the same. PM me if you have any specific questions.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:29 PM
Cefalu
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought this unit also, and am not happy with the responsiveness of the touchscreen. You have to poke the screen a bunch to register contact, and I end up having to moisten my fingertips to have the touchscreen acept the fingertip input. Otherwise I like the unit. The SD card slot is nice, and the bluetooth works very well.

also, there is a mod you can do to override the speed and E-brake sensors so you can fully operate the system while the car is in motion. I can input addresses and watch DVD's with the car in motion. Maybe not the greates idea, but convenient.

Quick Reply: Reivew of Pioneer AVIC BT910 Nav/Bluetooth/ipod/Sat Radio Install ('09 Boxster)