Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to buy? Looking for opinions on Cayman vs. 911 vs. Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 01:08 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

The 993 is arguably the best and last of the aircooled 911s, true to the original concept. However, everything is reliable until it breaks. The cost of maintaining an old/older car may not be any different than a new/newer car, but the cost of repair is another matter. Major repairs and rebuilds on any Porsche can easily cost thousands of dollars. The more you use the car the more likely something will break. Some owners have the means for this, others don't. As these cars change hands the quality of the care depends on the enthusiasm and pockets of the owner. Great residual value? Maybe, maybe not. Any body damage will significantly depeciate the car, so remember that a DD is at greater risk than a garage queen. Want high dollars, better keep the miles low and the wear/tear limited. The prices of 993s are increasing because their numbers are decreasing through attrition. The best survivors will command the most money. If you buy a 993 and use it as you would a Boxster/Cayman the car will decline in value not increase. The Boxster and Cayman are modern Porsches while the 993, despite being only a decade old, is closer technologically and ergonomically to the original 911. IMHO owning a 993 is like a marriage requiring a long term commitment to be successful. Owning a used Boxster/Cayman (987) is more like a long term relationship you can walk away from w/o too much investment when you want something else.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:04 PM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

agreed abuse the hell out of a boxster or caymen and the 993 964s are made to sunday drive.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:37 PM
epbrown01
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scjayhawk
If the Cayman is such a great car, why have the prices dropped so dramatically? Of course we don't have a crystal ball, but I wonder will they continue on this downward plunge? Which makes me wonder if it makes more financial sense to buy a 993 that in all likelihood will retain its value.
The Cayman and Boxster will continue their downward plunge. I'm amazed a former 944 owner like myself even has to ask - history has shown entry-level Porsches always depreciate much more than 911s, it's why you can pick up a 914, 924, 944, and/or 968 for a song. If you're buying the car to sell in a few years, the 993 is your best bet - I don't see attitudes changing anytime soon. If you're looking for a modern, less problematic, driving experience and plan to keep the car a while, the Cayman and Boxster are the way to go.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:11 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As stated by someone above. Cayman with mods. (Sharkworks 350hp) Could be the best looking Pcar ever, and sweet handling. I have the GT3 and RS, but my son has a modded 06 CS. Not as tight as the GT3, but really, really fun/nice. His car is worth maybe 39, mine are 90-115 OR 120? I can tell you the CS is almost just as great. He might be selling it this month...I'm thinking about buying it for me!
Old 10-01-2009, 09:09 AM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

I am not sure why you feel the 911 (964 , 993) will break more. Also the older ones have less electronics so even if they break will be easier to fix and most of them you can work on yourself.

It really comes down to what you want with the car. If I wanted a daily driver I would buy a cayman. If I wanted a weekender older 911. And if I just did not care at all boxster. Just associate teh boxster as a womans car
Old 10-01-2009, 09:26 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

A large proportion of people looking to buy a used Porsche are looking for the most bang for the buck because their bucks are limited. If your finances to purchase are limited what does that typically say about finances to maintain and repair? The older a car is the more likely something will either wear out or break. Repairs on Porsches are expensive. People who dispute that or don't believe that haven't paid such a bill. There are know issues w/ valve guide wear on the 993. There are several known issues w/ the 964. Almost all the old 911s have had updates to their chain tensioners, gearboxes, airboxes, and case studs depending on model year. The magazines never discuss how much all this costs, just that you shouldn't buy a used Porsche w/o a serivce history and a PPI is essential. In fact, there are people who don't want to pay for a PPI because it will add to the cost of the purchase. These follks often discover that used Porsche dreams can quickly morph into nightmares.

Quick Reply: What to buy? Looking for opinions on Cayman vs. 911 vs. Boxster