Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to buy? Looking for opinions on Cayman vs. 911 vs. Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 10:27 PM
scjayhawk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to buy? Looking for opinions on Cayman vs. 911 vs. Boxster

I used to be a regular on the Rennlist forums back when I had my 944 Turbo, but I sold it when my son was born. I'm going to be back in the market this fall and have been looking around trying to decide on which model Porsche to buy.

I have kept in mind the adage that you should buy the newest Porsche that you can afford. Does that adage still hold true?

I've been debating between a Cayman S, a Boxster S or a 911. I'm really surprised by the prices that I'm seeing. They seem to be all over the board. I saw an '07 Cayman S in my area for $31K. Why the meteroric drop in price on the Caymans? On the other hand a 12 year old 993 will set you back around the same money. The 996s (ick?) and the Boxsters seem to be falling in the mid $20k range around here. Again I could get a newer Boxster for the same money as the older 996.

This may be a loaded question since I'm asking it in the Cayman forums, but assume I'm spending $30k-$35k. Gen 1 Cayman S or 993?
Assume I'm spending $25k-$30k. Boxster S or 996?

911 vs a newer Porsche? Any opinions?
Old 09-22-2009, 12:45 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think Bruce Anderson still advises buying the newest Porsche you can afford, but Jim Michaels still advises buying the car you actually want.

Both pairs of options include a mid-engine Porsche vs a rear-engine, so the choice should be easier after driving both.

Mid-engine vs rear-engine; water cooled vs air/oil cooled; newer vs older; more trunk space vs rear "seats", and entry level vs. 911 (that seems to bother some).

I don't regret selling a '93 RS America and buying a new '06 CS almost 4 years ago. I really like the steering and handling of the mid-engine car. If I didn't care about that difference, I'd probably have a 997.

The $31k for an '07 CS seems unusually low to me.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:50 PM
equ
Racer

That price is not right (by 8 to 10k), an 06 trades in around 30-32...
Old 09-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're going to have to drive them to see which model you like best, and which works best for what you are going to do with it.

I can't help you on the other models, but if you decide to go with a 911, you can read "Porsche 911 Story" by Paul Frere, and whittle down your short list.

And yes, the prices are all over the place.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:02 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by equ
That price is not right (by 8 to 10k), an 06 trades in around 30-32...

Please explain.

tino
Old 09-23-2009, 03:51 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scjayhawk
This may be a loaded question since I'm asking it in the Cayman forums, but assume I'm spending $30k-$35k. Gen 1 Cayman S or 993?
Assume I'm spending $25k-$30k. Boxster S or 996?

911 vs a newer Porsche? Any opinions?
I would choose the 996 C4S (but I'm biased). You can take your wife and kids with you (4 seats). You get the wide body, turbo brakes, and sport suspension from the 996 Turbo and the car can be driven all year round in snow, (with snow tires) etc. Makes a great daily driver

G
Old 09-23-2009, 04:56 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned 2 951's and I now own (bought new) an '08 CS. The CS is faster stock and handles much better. The CS is just about the same in a straight line as a 993 but the balance is much better. 996's are pretty ugly in my opinion so I didn't consider them when I purchased my car even though I could have bought a 996tt. Most people complain that the CS's are a little light on power and didn't come with and LSD. Well for about $5k you can bolt on parts to make the CS have ~ 350 hp and you can add an LSD/TBD. My car has the 350 hp upgrade and I honestly don't see the need to go to a 911 unless you need a back seat. The CS is more of a true sports car while the recent (post 993) 911s (except gt3) seem more like a gran tourismo to me.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:36 PM
scjayhawk
Advanced

I guess here is what I am struggling with as regards each model:

993 - I love the styling. I appreciate the fact that it's the last of the true air-cooled 911s. But it's an older model that is expensive relative to the newer Porsches. That in itself presents a quandry because it appears that the 993s are going to hold their value because of their status as the last of the "real" 911s.

996/7 - The styling is just okay. I've seem to recall reading about some engine problems. The reviews I've read and research I've done calls into question the quality of some of the parts, especially the interior. On the other hand, they are still 911s, and they have newer technology. And you can pick one up, especially a 996, for not a lot of money.

Boxster S - The styling is okay. I live in the south so the convertible has some real utility. The reviews are great. I like the mid-engine aspect of the car - I think I would feel more comfortable with the handling. The price is the cheapest on my short list. Negatives: I expect the resale value will continue to drop. Biggest negative - everyone has one.

Cayman - Love the styling, probably as much as the 993, and it's a much newer car. It has newer technology. It's mid-engine, which again I think I would prefer. I don't care about it not having a back seat. I think it gets back to what the 911 used to be, which is a sports car and not a touring car. Great reviews. Great handling. Negatives: it's not a 911. I guess my biggest concern is the drop in value. If the Cayman is such a great car, why have the prices dropped so dramatically? Of course we don't have a crystal ball, but I wonder will they continue on this downward plunge? Which makes me wonder if it makes more financial sense to buy a 993 that in all likelihood will retain its value.

I originally posted this mental struggle on the Cayman forums because I'm leaning towards the Cayman. I stole my son's Cayman Hot Wheel and have been fiddling with it on my desk at work all day. I have wanted a 911 for a long time, but my heart is now saying Cayman; my head and my wallet aren't convinced yet (and neither is my wife ).
Old 09-23-2009, 07:07 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

993 will most likely hold its value better. No doubt about it. If you are buying based upon the rate of depreciation you should get a 993.

If you plan on keeping the car for a long time you should get what you like not necessarily what might be worth more. Supply and demand. Cayman has dropped in value more because the made a bunch of them (relatively), they are coming off of lease, the recession, and most importantly they are not a 911. 911's can hold a rediculously/(fanatically) high residual. To the point where used ones don't often make sense to me. Why should I pay $40k for a decent 993 when they were $65k new 14 years ago? If you look at the past Boxster depreciation it is actually good compared to most cars.

I've previously had a 911 SC and the first time I got into the CS I said to myself: This reminds me a lot of my SC. Believe me, I don't miss the so-called "911 experience" when I made the transition. Just because others say the 911 is the car to have doesn't mean you have to fall into that category too.

This is the same argument 951 owners had in the mid '80's. As a former 951 owner you probably understand that the 951 was a better and faster car than the 911 in the same era. (The S was just as fast as the 911 turbo too.) They just didn't hold their value as much because they weren't a "911."
Old 09-23-2009, 10:24 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Value (price) is a very subjective thing. How can you explain the astronomical prices for 356's? They don't even begin to compare in any objective terms to any modern Porsche. There is obviously a lot of emotion that goes into a buying decision.

I had a Cayman S for two years. It is a fantastic driver's car, although I recently traded up to a GT3, which is arguably the ultimate driver's car. The GT3 is the only 911 I would consider owning (and that includes the Turbo). However, I thoroughly enjoyed my time in the Cayman.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:59 AM
Ash
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

So here's my perspective as an owner of both a 993 and a Cayman S...
- Cayman S is easier to drive quickly and it's a blast at the track...a thoroughly modern car that can be a comfortable daily driver
- the 993 is probably one of the best looking cars to come out of Porsche...I tend to get significantly more compliments on the 993 than the Cayman...and the 993 I have isn't exactly a garage queen. FWIW, I think the 993 can be a great daily driver as well although lugging an air-cooled engine in stop and go traffic isn't so great in comparison to the convenience of the watercooled P-cars
- if you go the 993 route, make sure to have a contingency fund...it is, afterall, at minimum an 11-12 year old car now. Even if you don't fix anything, it's a slippery slope of modifications.
- While the Cayman S is a fantastic driving experience, it is the 993 I climb into when I want to feel alive driving....it's hard to explain but the steering, the noises, and the smell of the air cooled car make the whole experience of driving more wholly visceral. That's not to say the Cayman is a worse experience but the 993 feels more 'alive' to me (mind you it might also be the mods in my 993)...
- what will your primary use for the car be? Is it going to be a daily driver or an additional occasional weekend toy? Do you have the patience/funds to manage repairs or do you like the convenience of more modern features?
- thinking about resale too much on cars is a waste of time IMHO. Life's too short and these cars are too much fun to think about what they might be worth...they are cars afterall and good ones at that....so their value to me comes from how much fun I get out of them when I drive them.

Good luck..whatever route you choose, the worst case is that you'll be driving a Porsche of some sort or another...not a bad place to be!
Old 09-25-2009, 12:22 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well written
Old 09-26-2009, 08:53 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

in the CS you are looking at cars that have depreciated ~50% from list, have current part supplies in every state, are rated the best in class..the '09 being called the best sports car ever by at least one mag. So, while the 911 is an icon and the 993 full of nostalgia, ask yourself if you want to be driving a car designed in the '70s (993) or you have to have some variation of the 911.

When I went shopping for another sports car after 30 years without one, I thought I wanted a 928. A half hour drive and you couldn't have given me one. (No insult, just didn't fit my tastes. YMMV) I then tried every possible sports car in my price bracket. And a Boxster took 15 minutes in my first one for me to say this feels right. I suggest you do the same...drive a bunch. Don't start out as a buyer, start out exploring the possibilities and see what fits your sense of what you want. Then explore that make/model/year and see what the experiences have been to see if it is a maintenance problem (availability/price) or if it has depreciation problems.

Lets say you pay $30k and keep the car for 4 years and it is worth $20k. You can think 33% depreciation. Or you can think you'll have paid ~$225 a month for all that fun. Not Civic costs but surely not the rental on a new 911 either.

Enjoy your shopping. And enjoy finally being in a position to make that choice.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:55 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I am with Mike. Boxter S is a fun car and the prices are reasonable. Has a lot of storage, but the seats don't recline.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:53 PM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

well typed up a whole thing and somehow it was deleted. Basically There is a reason why some cars hold there value and others don't. I was in a similar boat either newer 996 or older air cooled. I chose a 964 instead of a 996 because of the look and the car itself. Air cooled etc. Plus mine is not a daily driver so insurance is really cheap with classic car.

the 996 are really known for issues and you can read all about it here RMS issues etc. the 993 and 964 are very similar in every way but design. I personally prefer the 964 over the 993 also the 964 was cheaper and I do like the 993 C4S but was out of my budget at the time.

I will say this I feel the 993 or 964 are just as reliable as the newer models if not more. Less maint as well too. Not as many electronics to go bad but same comforts as air abs, airbags in either the 964 or 993.

I took my 964 on a 850 mile round trip road trek and loved it and would take it anywhere.

I am thinking about getting a 996tt (different motor) then the 996 but i would use it as a daily driver and keep my 964 forever. I love the 964 and would just use the 996 tt.

pm me on my search or questions or come to the other sections.

Quick Reply: What to buy? Looking for opinions on Cayman vs. 911 vs. Boxster