Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 05:10 PM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Cayman

I want to get a Cayman S for the track. I will order with PCCBs and LSD. Do I put on my own after-market suspension or get the PSAM? Sport Chrono? After-market exhaust or the Porsche sport exhaust? Porsche 19" wheels or after- market? I don't want to go radical...needs to be tolerable in the street.

Thank you for the input!
Old 11-15-2009, 06:21 PM
Bodhii
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Skip the PCCB's. There are much wiser places to put that money into the car. Here is a very complete list to use in making a great track Cayman.

Suspension
Moton Club Sport Dampers
Eibach ERS springs
Porsche GT3 Camber Plates
Porsche GT3 Lower Control Arm
Porsche GT3 trailing Arm
Porsche GT3 Front sway bar
Tarret Front Drop Link kit
Tarett Mono Ball Bushing kit
Tarrett Rear Toe link assembly
Arlan Rear strut mounts monoball
Tarret Rear sway bar and links

Engine
Mantis Underdrive Pulley
Mantis Oil Sump extension
Porsche MotorSport Air oil seperator
Tubi lightweight Mufflers
Softtronics Race Plenum/Throttle body/ECU
Steering pump cooler (Oil cooler in place of center radiator)
Porsche Cayman Tiptronic Air ducts for Center Radiator

Drive Train
Sharkwerks/AAsco Lightweight flywheel
Quaife TBD
Solid Transmission mounts (aka:964 engine mounts)
Lightweight Battery
Porsche Short Shifter

Brakes
Porsche 996GT3 front Calipers
AP Racing 996 Turbo 2peice rotors
Porsche 997GT3 Wheel Carriers
Porsche 997GT3 Wheel Bearings
Porsche 997GT3 Brake Air Spoiler
Porsche 997GT3 Rear Caliper
Porsche 997GT3 rear Brake Rotors
Custom 7mm rear rotor spacers
G-Force Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Rear Brake proportioning valve & braded brake lines
Performance Friction PFC-1 brake discs
Removed Porshce PSM yaw sensor

Tires and Wheels
Fikse FM10 Wheels
Ruf 7mm spacer with centering fingers
Hooiser R80 250/650 x 18 CUP tires
Hooiser R100 280/680 x 18 CUP tires

Interior
GT3 race seats
Heigo Porsche Motorsport Roll Bar
TC Design Harness bar
6-point seat belt harness
Old 11-16-2009, 12:35 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

With all the GT3 parts...I might as well get another one of those! LOL
Old 11-16-2009, 01:08 AM
Bodhii
Rennlist Member

I definitely recommend finding a used. low mileage Cayman S.

There's a big diff between the natural balance found in the mid-engine Cayman, and the rear-engine 911's. Take them both out on the track, turn off the stability controls., and the diff becomes obvious.

Porsche doesn't offer these GT3 parts in the Cayman in order to preserve the illusion of platform superiority of the 911. But that superiority is all just smoke and mirrors, along with Porsche Motorsport's support only for the 911's, and lots of miraculous engineering to keep the 911 competitive. There is NO platform superiority in the 911. None.

BTW, you would see an identical list of parts in order to upgrade ANY full street 911 into a real track car. This list is specific to all street Porsches, not just to Caymans.

The suspension upgrade is really the only expensive part.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:37 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

I agree. I can cover a well set up Cayman on the track in my '04 GT3...but I'm 9/10ths. The Cayman would kick a GT3's *** with the identical motor.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:57 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by texasviany
I want to get a Cayman S for the track. I will order with PCCBs and LSD. Do I put on my own after-market suspension or get the PSAM? Sport Chrono? After-market exhaust or the Porsche sport exhaust? Porsche 19" wheels or after- market? I don't want to go radical...needs to be tolerable in the street.

Thank you for the input!
Skip PCCB, LSD, 19", Sport Chrono and PASM. Get the Carbon Racing seats (cheap as an option).

Install aftermarket two way adjustable shocks with stiffer springs. A decent kit is about the same price as the PASM option. I would rather put Moton CS or JRZ RS DA.

Get a Guard LSD, much stronger and longer lasting than the stock street Porsche LSD. I doubt you could get 30 track days out of a stock LSD (same thing happens to the GT2/GT3).

For track use, I would skip PCCB for cost reasons, they are great brakes, but replacement rotors are not cheap. Depending on how many track days you will run a year, you could get them or not.

Put four GT3 arms at all corners, so you can get all the camber you need ( no need for special camber plates), a good brake fluid (SRF), track pads (RS29 or PFC-01), that's it.

If you don't mind carrying the extra 55 lbs, and prefer not to have a clutch, go for the PDK and the Sport Chrono (different engine/trans ECU mappings).

For exhaust, you're better off with aftermarket headers, sport cats and light mufflers, plenty of extra power while running the stock ECU. However, if warranty is a concern, go with the stock sport exhaust, while keeping in mind that track use and warranty claims don't go well with most Porsche dealers.

Stay with 18" stock wheels, and get wider 18" lightweight track wheels, plenty of choices for wheels and track tires.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:52 PM
KS-CS
Racer

Are you planning to buy a new (i.e. Gen 2) or Gen 1 model? If you are getting a Gen 2 with PDK, then you would want the Sport Chrono (because of the more aggressive shift mapping available), otherwise I would skip the Sport Chrono.

The PSE is for sound only - no performance enhancement - save your money and go aftermarket there. I agree with the post above that PCCBs are probably overkill for the price - another alternative might be to go with an aftermarket big brake kit like Giro Discs.

If you want a car that is more comfortable for the street, I would consider PASM rather than a full-time track suspension - you could always get the PSS9 kit that works with the PASM if you want to firm it up a bit. You will probably at least want to get camber plates and/or the GT3 LCAs to get more camber than is available with the stock suspension.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:49 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

For what it is worth, I have ordered a base 2.9 Cayman with the idea of some tracking and autocross but still having a semi-comfortable street car so my options were as follows:

Sport bucket seats ( they are the lightest seats Porsche offeres and do have the pass thru for harnesses)

PDK and sport Chrono. PDK is faster than 6 speed and no chance of mechanical over-rev do to missing a gear on downshift. Sport Chrono with PDK really wakes up the transmission and keeps you in the power band.

LSD, yes the guard is stronger and a true locker but the factory one will keep me in the stock class.

PASM keeps me in the stock class, palatable on the street and firmer when on the track.

I will add a harness bar and lightweight forged wheels but stay with 18"

...,and when I want to go all out the SC is sitting ready to go and among its improvements is a Guard LSD
Attached Images  
Old 11-16-2009, 06:42 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
For what it is worth, I have ordered a base 2.9 Cayman with the idea of some tracking and autocross but still having a semi-comfortable street car so my options were as follows:

Sport bucket seats ( they are the lightest seats Porsche offeres and do have the pass thru for harnesses)

PDK and sport Chrono. PDK is faster than 6 speed and no chance of mechanical over-rev do to missing a gear on downshift. Sport Chrono with PDK really wakes up the transmission and keeps you in the power band.

LSD, yes the guard is stronger and a true locker but the factory one will keep me in the stock class.

PASM keeps me in the stock class, palatable on the street and firmer when on the track.

I will add a harness bar and lightweight forged wheels but stay with 18"

...,and when I want to go all out the SC is sitting ready to go and among its improvements is a Guard LSD
For a PCA stock class, the 2.9 is fine. But for 2010 SCCA AutoX stock class, the 2009+ Cayman 2.9 shares the class with the 06-08 Cayman S, the 2.9 can use the optional LSD, but the LSD cannot overcome a decent difference in torque and horsepower. Keep in mind that the 2.9 uses the old M97 engine, not the new DFI in the 09+ Cayman S, Carrera, Carrera S and now the Turbo.

The PDK doesn't hold the gears, so for autoX it will be upshifting when you want to stay in gear. A new SportChrono map for the Carrera S with PDK holds the gears, I don't know if such option is available for the Cayman S with PDK.

For track use PDK is nice, but it costs 55 lbs to 66 lbs behind the rear axle, really bad location for extra weight.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:14 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes it is according to the dealer PDK remapping is part of the sport Chrono on the 2.9.
At my age 67 plus, a kind of in between car. I know my limits and although I'm not slow the young guys just have better eyes and faster reflexes. One of my focus points it to have fun and not overly tax my Sc. It is my pride. I have driven the Cayman S with PDK in the autocross at the Porsche school and for most autocrosses it will hold the gear in the power band in manual, with sport chrono all the better Also I am aware I will be up against the earlier Cayman S cars but better than a new Cayman S in Super Stock. Throw the dice and hope for the best. Most important HAVE FUN, growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional and I don't plan to
Old 11-16-2009, 11:32 PM
RQ_GT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Skip PCCB, LSD, 19", Sport Chrono and PASM. Get the Carbon Racing seats (cheap as an option).

Install aftermarket two way adjustable shocks with stiffer springs. A decent kit is about the same price as the PASM option. I would rather put Moton CS or JRZ RS DA.

Get a Guard LSD, much stronger and longer lasting than the stock street Porsche LSD. I doubt you could get 30 track days out of a stock LSD (same thing happens to the GT2/GT3).

For track use, I would skip PCCB for cost reasons, they are great brakes, but replacement rotors are not cheap. Depending on how many track days you will run a year, you could get them or not.

Put four GT3 arms at all corners, so you can get all the camber you need ( no need for special camber plates), a good brake fluid (SRF), track pads (RS29 or PFC-01), that's it.

If you don't mind carrying the extra 55 lbs, and prefer not to have a clutch, go for the PDK and the Sport Chrono (different engine/trans ECU mappings).

For exhaust, you're better off with aftermarket headers, sport cats and light mufflers, plenty of extra power while running the stock ECU. However, if warranty is a concern, go with the stock sport exhaust, while keeping in mind that track use and warranty claims don't go well with most Porsche dealers.

Stay with 18" stock wheels, and get wider 18" lightweight track wheels, plenty of choices for wheels and track tires.

Great post, pretty much my approach - my 09 CS has the carbon seats (love them!), steel brakes and no PASM as the Cross coilovers will be installed in a couple of weeks, 18" because that is what makes sense, and a new AWE exhaust is also coming.

Already a fun car but I expect the above to make it way way better.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Shant Ohannessian
Racer

Good info in here..

Quick Reply: New Cayman