Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Boxster S - Desireable options

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 08:59 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Late to the game... I'll reinforce the 07 with the updated engine, CPO would be great for 2 extra years of warranty coverage.

Heated seats, xenon, windstop, auto climate, and no PASM. Sport seats if you can find one. That's pretty much the best value. I have an 09 C2S w/ Sport PASM, which is great and my Boxster S has the stock suspension, which is also great. I also had a C2S with Gen 1 PASM (05-08) which wasn't very good (Gen 2 is much better). So I'd not go with PASM, especially if you are thinking of DE. Instead, get a Cross suspension.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:06 AM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again, everyone - focusing on finding an '07S - 18" wheels, manny tranny, heated seats, xenons, windstop, auto climate, with no PASM and wishlist adds of sport seats and sport chrono.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:25 PM
vipola
Racer

Ehh.. correct me if i'm wrong but..
Sport Chrono = PASM.. :P
Old 02-25-2010, 04:43 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vipola
Sport Chrono is sport chrono.

PASM is Porsche Active Suspension Management.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nope. PASM is the active suspension management.

The Sport Chrono option can be paired with the nav system, but does not have to be. The sport chrono gives you the chronograph/timer on top of the dashboard and it also changes the throttle response when its engaged.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 02-26-2010, 10:35 AM
vipola
Racer

PASM is not part of the Sport Chrono Packedge??
I tought I saw that in the Docs..

Last edited by vipola; 02-26-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:36 AM
Dino944
Drifting

PASM is not part of the Sport Chrono Packedge??
I tought I saw that in the Docs..
Sport Chrono is a separarte option from PASM. However, if you have the Sport Chrono when you press the sport button on the dashboard, in addition to changing the throttle response (part of the sport chrono option) it also switches the suspension to its stiffest setting which is part of PASM.

You can get a car that just PASM or just Sport Chrono. Neither option is a prerequisite to having the other.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 02-26-2010, 11:46 AM
vipola
Racer

Who would pay 1000$ for a clock on the dash?? :P

Last edited by vipola; 02-26-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:16 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

Who would pay 1000$ for a clock on the dash?? :P
Someone who wants all the other little bits that come with the package. The ability to program some additional per-key configuration in the car yourself. Someone who wants the sharper throttle response and relaxed PSM thresholds the option gives you.

I agree, the stopwatch is pretty much useless but there are other reasons to spend that money.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:47 PM
vipola
Racer

Originally Posted by cviles
The ability to program some additional per-key configuration in the car yourself.
Can you give me more information about this one?
thanks
Old 02-27-2010, 06:57 PM
tinman
Rennlist Member

Heated seats, windstop, they changed engine I believe mid 06 from 280 to 295 HP, so look for the 295, I'm pretty sure, TPMS, mine did not have it, I didn't realize it til it I had bought the car, I was shocked enough about no spare, but with TPMS, I really am not that enthused to take my car on trips....I don't want to have a blow-out that damages the rim, let alone waiting around for a tire....gonna try the Hella TPMS system that TireRack sells, don't knock it, I need peace of mine, PASM, I didn't get cuz I bought car on the lot, I probably would want it, even though when I test drove it, it was harsh, (probably set hard), the NAV system is not great, a Garmin is better, I use my Garmin...the best sound system....Xenon, as good of seats as you feel comfortable in (I would not recommend sport seats for someone who won't fit in them, I am 5'11 and 175 lbs, so I fit fine in them, my bro-in-law complains....but not his problem (pleasure)....I'd save the money and avoid carbon fibre or exotic wood....save the money for maintenance or a 997......I got GT Silver/Cocoa brown leather/optional hardtop....those 3 costed me about $12K, looking back, I would have saved the money....if I knew the Targa 997 was coming back I would have waited....
Old 02-28-2010, 11:46 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

Can you give me more information about this one?
thanks
In my 997, which has sport chrono, there's a individual option off the main menu of the PCM display. I can choose how long the lights stay on, whether the button on the key unlocks one door or both, sets the A/C temps and so on. There's like 5 or 6 things you can set.

It's a lot of minor stuff, yeah. But mostly I checked that box because, with the relaxed PSM settings in sport mode, even on the street you can push the back end around with the throttle easier.

Spending the insane kind of cash for a Boxster or 911, we're way beyond basic transportation here. The little bit of extra grin was worth the price when I was building my 911 -- but I could do without the wart.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:53 AM
tinman
Rennlist Member

PASM gives you the 10 mm drop which people say they can see, I can't...but that's cuz I don't have it and after thinking about it would have gotten it...do you guys get scrapes on the bottom of your front end, especially with PASM? I didn't have any scrapes, but the dealership gave me some (minor)....Changed dealerships...Boxsters apparently don't rate compared to the Turbo or GT2,3 cars they had in for service...people who probably switch cars when the lease is up, unlike me, I have to keep mine, cuz it's paid for.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:57 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Is this accurate about the HP upgrade mid year of 2006????? Wear on the car is the build plate located. I was talking to an owner and he was not familiar with where it was located. Nor was I.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:49 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Originally Posted by renvagn
Is this accurate about the HP upgrade mid year of 2006????? Wear on the car is the build plate located. I was talking to an owner and he was not familiar with where it was located. Nor was I.
I have an 08 and my build date is found on a sticker on the side of the driver's door.

Best regards,
Dino

Quick Reply: 2006 Boxster S - Desireable options