Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Boxster S - Desireable options

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 12:07 AM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Boxster S - Desireable options

Hi All,
I am looking for a replacement for the my 944 turbo and have settled on a Boxster S. I'd love to get a newer model, but that won't happen. So I'm looking 2006-07 model years. I will be usng it as a DD and for some DE events. Should I hold out for PASM? Any other options that are must haves? Any that are not worth factoring into the decision? Definitely want a manual tranny - 6 speed. Thanks.

Last edited by Vjgtrybno1; 02-13-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Vince,

As for PASM, I've heard some people who track the car really like it, others not so much. But the main thing I've heard is that if you get a car with 19" wheels you should get PASM, as the standard suspension is too stiff with 19" wheels. My car has it along with 19s so I usually use the softer suspension setting and its quite comfortable on regular roads.

As for other options, I really like the xenon headlamps they make a huge difference at night. In addition, although I initially would not have considered the sport exhaust, my car came with it and I like it a lot. Its nice to be able to "turn the sound down" if you wish to. Also, I could probably live with the standard seats but I do like the sport seats, they are very comfortable and really hold onto you during cornering. Also make sure you get the "wind deflector" it makes driving with the top down much more enjoyable. You can have conversations at reasonable highway speeds without shouting at your passenger.

There are lots of other options, but only you can decide which of them are important to you (nav/sound systems, leather etc.).

Best regards,
Dino
Old 02-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Dino!
Old 02-13-2010, 12:48 PM
djmiroku
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind that the 07 has a better engine than the 06. It has 15 more hp, but also the vario-cam stuff which the Cayman inherited from the 911. If I was purchasing a Boxster I would absolutely try to get an 07 or newer.

Mine is an 08 with 19 inch wheels and no pasm. I find the suspension to be slightly stiff, but feels very sporty. I DD it and have done some DEs and I think it's really nice, but is soft enough that there is more roll on the track than I would like.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:10 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

If your plan is to make this a semi-serious DE car and street car for the rest of the year, I'd recommend you avoid PASM and spend those dollars on some PSS9s. I'm very happy with this upgrade on my '05 S.

Another option to look for is heated seats -- I can enjoy putting the top down for a lot more of the year by toasting up my backside.

Other than that, I'd agree with what others have said here.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:10 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Vjgtrybno1
Hi All,
I am looking for a replacement for the my 944 turbo and have settled on a Boxster S. I'd love to get a newer model, but that won't happen. So I'm looking 2006-07 model years. I will be usng it as a DD and for some DE events. Should I hold out for PASM? Any other options that are must haves? Any that are not worth factoring into the decision? Definitely want a manual tranny - 6 speed. Thanks.
Based on my considerable time in a Boxster -- currently with over 228K miles --- and owning an 08 Cayman S and now an 03 Turbo, my options are, in no particular order:

1) Xenon headlights. Much better lighting that stock.

2) Autoclimate control. I hate having to fiddle with A/C and heater controls. My experience with autoclimate control in my Boxster and Turbo is it is set and forget. Drive 2000 miles through nearly 100 deg heat to nearly freezing temps and never have to touch controls. Cabin remains just right with no clamminess or cold drafts. Makes spending 10 or more hours behind the wheel less tiring.

3) Cruise control and on-board computer.

4) 18" wheels/tires. My Cayman and Turbo came with 18" and these tires more noisy and a bit harsher riding than the Boxster with its 17" wheels/tires. I can't imagine living with 19" wheels/tires.

5) Auto dimming rear view mirrors.

6) Fully intermittent wipers with auto rain sensing.

Also, not listed above but my Cayman has TPMS and based on the short time I had the car I liked this feature. I'd consider it provided an earlier car's TPMS was a mature implementation.

And the Turbo has a rear window wiper which is nice.

The above I've found to be "essential" based on using my cars as daily drivers for commuting (30 miles one way) or cross country drives in all sorts of weather from high heat of summer in the desert (111F last June here in Livermore not even in the desert!) to freezing temperatures in the dead of winter in various locales, including this winter here in Livermore when I awoke to find an inch or so of snow on top of the Boxster. Last T-Giving coming back from the mid-west spent some time in Flagstaff with overnight temps below 20F. The Turbo handled the cold just fine. Autoclimate control heats the cabin very quickly without blowing a bunch of air in your face while it is doing so.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:01 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cviles
If your plan is to make this a semi-serious DE car and street car for the rest of the year, I'd recommend you avoid PASM and spend those dollars on some PSS9s. I'm very happy with this upgrade on my '05 S.
Could you please provide more commentary on PASM? Also, I assume you are talking PilotSport tires - true? thanks!
Old 02-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 183 Posts

Heated seats a must along with a wind deflector but otherwise enjoy looking at what is out there, it's fun!
Old 02-13-2010, 10:32 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Could you please provide more commentary on PASM? Also, I assume you are talking PilotSport tires - true? thanks!
I'm not going to knock the PASM suspension for street driving. It's a very nice compromise on my 997.

But it is a reactive system; it's always adjusting to the last corner or bit of rough pavement and I prefer something more predictable for track work. I also like the stability the PSS9s provide and how much flatter the car takes hard corners. Plus they have adjustable perches so you can corner weight the car. Bilstein makes a similar system for PASM cars (Drampronic I think it's called) but it's more expensive than the PSS9 kit.

Regarding tires, both my cars have Michelin PS2s. They're excellent tires but pricier than other options. I did my track days on PS2s until I started getting faster and discovered how quickly you shred the sidewalls at the track. The shoulder on this tire is designed to roll over under hard cornering to increase the size of the contact patch. This is fine for the occasional hard cornering, but at the track you're always cornering hard and it just eats these tires.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:20 AM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

OK - got it - PSS9 is the Bilstein kit - which was highly recommended by the guys on the track who owned Boxsters at the last DE I attended - yes, that sounds good.

As for tires - you mention the shredding Michelins - did you find better tires?
Old 02-14-2010, 09:33 AM
00r101
Racer

The sales manager at my dealer who does a lot of DEs just bought an '06 Cayman and specifically avoided PASM cars. I love my '08 Boxster with PASM for autocross but can see where it might be a little too "reactive" for DEs. In your situation I would not make PASM a must have option.

Also the key to reduced track tire wear is a little more extra negative camber up front than the factory adjustment allows. There are aftermarket camber kits available that will easily remedy this.

There is no such thing as a good compromise track/street tire. If you do enough track days (say 5 per year) then its probably worth getting a set of dedicated track tires/wheels. That gives you several advantages; get wider wheels and wider tires than stock for the track, get tires that will handle track temps better and have more solid shoulders to avoid chunking, get lighter than OEM weight wheels, keep your street wheels pristine and avoid huge amounts of brake dust. I owuld recommend Toyo RA1s and OZ Aleggerita. The Toyos are a great track tire that can be driven to events does great in the rain and really stands up to abuse. The OZs are strong light and more reasonably priced than other name brand alternatives.

If you don't want to go with a dedicated set of wheels/tires then the Toyo is as close to a good compromise DD DE tire as you are likely to find. It is a little noisey and rough riding for the street but IMHO it is liveable.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:38 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sport Chrono.
Heated Seats.
Windstop.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:11 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

As for tires - you mention the shredding Michelins - did you find better tires?
Here we get into the area of what you like. I have Pilot Sport Cups on my track wheels and I like them quite a bit. But they suck if the track is wet or cold. I've thrown my PS2s back on the car when the track was wet or really cold.

Once you get serious about doing track days, you'll go through tires quite fast so experiment. Try out a variety of R-compound tires and decide what you like and suits your driving style. Just don't skip over learning with the forgiveness of street tires. It really is important to discover how your car handles before you jump to R-comps which assume you already know how tires behave.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

heated seats
PASM
bi-xenon's
sport seats

put in a short shifter after you get it.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:24 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Thanks, everyone!

Quick Reply: 2006 Boxster S - Desireable options