Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monster Cayman for sale in Wash DC area - Turbo!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 11:17 AM
cparkin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Parr buys the system from us and rebrands it. It is our system and the pictures even show the TPC logo on the intake tubing.

Whatever I say will never make you happy or content. The underdrive pulley is designed to not spin the power steering pump as fast for owners that consistently drive at high RPMs. It produces no performance gains. The intake plenum is provided with our system, it includes a boost tap to measure accurate boost levels behind the throttle body.

We have well over 100 owners of this system worldwide that do lots of track events and have had their systems vouched from all different Dynos.

Here is an interesting account(at altitude) of a 3.2L box S

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...o-just-do.html

Another on a 3.4L Cayman(non-IC system)

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...es-review.html

Diy install...

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...y-install.html

California 91 Octane Dyno...

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...than-ever.html

I will end this here. If you need further proof, walk around the next time you are at a zone 2 event and look for any of our cars there.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:10 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cparkin
The underdrive pulley is designed to not spin the power steering pump as fast for owners that consistently drive at high RPMs. It produces no performance gains. The intake plenum is provided with our system, it includes a boost tap to measure accurate boost levels behind the throttle body.

We have well over 100 owners of this system worldwide that do lots of track events and have had their systems vouched from all different Dynos.

Here is an interesting account(at altitude) of a 3.2L box S

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...o-just-do.html

Another on a 3.4L Cayman(non-IC system)

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...es-review.html

Diy install...

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...y-install.html

California 91 Octane Dyno...

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...than-ever.html

I will end this here. If you need further proof, walk around the next time you are at a zone 2 event and look for any of our cars there.
Well, I'm inclined to agree that the underdrive pulley shouldn't affect HP that much. Still, the tuner mag seemed to think it important enough to highlight it, along with the lighter flywheel which will definitely improve the numbers. And I did find dyno charts on Planet-9 claiming a significant increase in HP with the underdrive pulley - so why should I not believe their claims but believe all of yours?

Maybe we're getting close to some useful information now with the intake plenum, but for that to make an impact it would certainly need more than just the boost tap you mention. I was hoping you might provide some specifics on anything done there that would explain higher HP than could otherwise be expected. But all you give me are anecdotes.

Bottom line is you are claiming a 67% increase in HP just by bolting on a turbo that increases air and fuel to the engine by only 37%. So you think walking around a paddock and looking for cars with your kits is supposed to "prove" such a claim? No doubt your kit does make big improvements in performance, and with even a 37% increase in power you will have many happy customers because they will feel a huge difference. They just shouldn't be told you have repealed the laws of physics without something more to back it up.

I do hope to see some of these cars at the track this year, and I hope Mike brings his out again too. And I agree it's time to sign off on the back and forth here.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

I really like what TPC do on the track and the knowledge acquired, however Renn 951 is absolutely right. No one is disputing how fast those cars are, but the numbers being thrown around are ridiculous.

A few things might alter your VE higher than the factory and provide more HP per lbs of air, but efficiency can be improved in very low single digit percentage numbers at best..

Where I would defer a bit with Renn 951 is that with the use of VP109 you are indeed bumping up the efficiency of the engine substantially and provide more HP per lb of air, however the engineer would be a real genius if he could improve BMEP or VE by 15%.. The intake plenum will make a difference, however in the 1-2% max probably, just check the difference in BMEP between the latest factory GT3 with all its high tech engineering and the first generation of GT3s.

Also to be more accurate one has to compare better maximum torque rather than HP for VE comparisons, in any case with the increased airflow you cannot get those HP numbers by any means with this setup and conditions..
Old 03-29-2010, 10:18 PM
Ivan A
AutoX

Lightbulb Agreed

Originally Posted by Jean
I really like what TPC do on the track and the knowledge acquired, however Renn 951 is absolutely right. No one is disputing how fast those cars are, but the numbers being thrown around are ridiculous.

A few things might alter your VE higher than the factory and provide more HP per lbs of air, but efficiency can be improved in very low single digit percentage numbers at best..

Where I would defer a bit with Renn 951 is that with the use of VP109 you are indeed bumping up the efficiency of the engine substantially and provide more HP per lb of air, however the engineer would be a real genius if he could improve BMEP or VE by 15%.. The intake plenum will make a difference, however in the 1-2% max probably, just check the difference in BMEP between the latest factory GT3 with all its high tech engineering and the first generation of GT3s.

Also to be more accurate one has to compare better maximum torque rather than HP for VE comparisons, in any case with the increased airflow you cannot get those HP numbers by any means with this setup and conditions..
AMEN, on all quoted but the fuel octane. The higher octane is not enabling the engine to more efficient, it would allow more timing and more boost to be run in the engine and improve power. The octane will also slow the burn time to prevent detonation. Renn 951 is correct 6 psi is a 40% increase in air and should increase the power accordingly by 40 %. There is no magic here, simple math. 300 plus 40 % is 420 flywheel HP, ENOUGH said!
Old 04-03-2010, 04:06 AM
notquitefob
8th Gear

I have TPC's kit running the worst possible gas in the country, California 91. Running 5.5-6 psi, I put down about 385rwhp on a dynodynamic dynometer, up from 270rwhp stock on the same dyno w/ the same environmental factors. 40% increase in air, equated to 40% increase in power. I'm not going to try and "estimate" what that means in terms of power @ the flywheel because any # I come up, like all these other #s being thrown around, are guesses.... at best, without an engine dyno.

That said, the same car with better fuel (mixed with 100 octane) with a more aggressive tune (93 octane file) yielded ~410rwhp, which is just under what TPC is claiming.

While it's true that % increase in air in theory should increase power proportionally, cars sold in the US are tuned to run on the lowest denominator gas. Software tuners can get a few % increase in power by simply raising timing and running a more aggressive AFR, so long as the owner is willing to always put in 93/95 instead of 91. It's not unreasonable that the car increased proportionally in power based on the increase airflow, and then a little bit more, by having better fuel and a more aggressive tune.

In terms of a "ticking time bomb," I put in the kit at around 20k miles and now have close to 30k miles. The car is daily driven and has never missed a beat.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:01 PM
danharr
2nd Gear

I just bought an '06 Cayman S and I'm so intrigued by this system I'm almost sorry my car is Porsche Certified- I don't want to blow the warranty. I live maybe 20 miles away from TPC and look forward to checking them out. I actually want no more than 350 crank HP and I'd be happy. Wish they did a "poor man's" turbo with more modest gains!
Old 04-06-2010, 02:36 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,358 Posts

They do have a 'poor man's' turbo kit, its less expensive by $ 3K and gives up the intercooler + all related plumbing. You can upgrade that at a later date if you want. Should be right at your target of 350HP or slightly more.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:58 PM
danharr
2nd Gear

Now that's great news! I have to contact them and think seriously about the extended warranty...
Old 04-07-2010, 10:17 AM
cparkin
Rennlist Member

dan, drop me an email if you are serious. cparkin@tpcracing.net

Quick Reply: Monster Cayman for sale in Wash DC area - Turbo!