Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a New Cayman S Any Mod Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 02:04 PM
Wiles42
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a New Cayman S Any Mod Suggestions

I bought my new baby which turned out to be a Cayman S and I think I might want to bring it to the Buttonwillow Raceway for the upcoming Red Line series but before doing so do you guys have any suggestions on what I could do to it in order to get it in racing shape. I mean nothing to flashy I just dont want to be the only one with a stock car at this event. Thanks for any posts.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:47 PM
KS-CS
Racer

What is your level of experience? If you are relatively inexperienced, then I would recommend getting to know the car first before making a lot of mods.

1. Get a performance alignment (max negative camber on stock front and rears) with minimal toe-in.
2. Flush the brake system with a high-performance racing brake fluid e.g. Motul, Pentosin, or ATE Gold (don't recommend Super Blue because some dealers have denied warranty coverage when they see blue brake fluid).
3. Track brake pads - very easy to change out when you bleed your brakes. The stock pads will wear out very fast on the track. I use Pagid Yellows which are very durable on the track.
4. CG-Lock - to hold your butt in place in the seat.

You might also want to check out the forums at Planet-9.com and CaymanRegister.org where you will find much more active Cayman participation.

Last edited by KS-CS; 03-17-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:08 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,483 Likes on 2,269 Posts

do no more than KSCS's suggestion and you will do fine.
button willow is not very hard on pads, other than star mazda, you dont really need track pads, but i would change to hi temp brk fluid though.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:27 PM
996turboblk
6th Gear

Weird, how can they deny coverage just because of a different colored brake fluid? Isn't that protected under Magnuson-Moss?

Originally Posted by KS-CS
What is your level of experience? If you are relatively inexperienced, then I would recommend getting to know the car first before making a lot of mods.

1. Get a performance alignment (max negative camber on stock front and rears) with minimal toe-in.
2. Flush the brake system with a high-performance racing brake fluid e.g. Motul, Pentosin, or ATE Gold (don't recommend Super Blue because some dealers have denied warranty coverage when they see blue brake fluid).
3. Track brake pads - very easy to change out when you bleed your brakes. The stock pads will wear out very fast on the track. I use Pagid Yellows which are very durable on the track.
4. CG-Lock - to hold your butt in place in the seat.

You might also want to check out the forums at Planet-9.com and CaymanRegister.org where you will find much more active Cayman participation.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:01 PM
KS-CS
Racer

Originally Posted by 996turboblk
Weird, how can they deny coverage just because of a different colored brake fluid? Isn't that protected under Magnuson-Moss?
You would think so; as long as the fluid is DOT4, and not provided free by Porsche anytime you need new brake fluid; it ought to be covered under M-M Act. However, in the case discussed in the threads below, the dealer alleged (based on the mechanic's opinion) that a master cylinder failure was a result of using some "blue brake fluid", which they claimed was unapproved for use in Porsches. Total BS . . . but how many of us have the resources to fight PCNA?

Several threads of discussion on the topic on Planet-9:

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...-problems.html

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...blems-2-a.html

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...blems-3-a.html
Old 03-20-2010, 03:14 AM
Wiles42
Track Day

So then I would need track pads for star mazda because if so I mean I'm willing to get some but what will the best ones be? And the CG-Lock I already have... to "keep my but in the seat" lol but those are great suggestions and I'm currently changing out the pads which should be helpful as well.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:30 PM
KS-CS
Racer

Originally Posted by Wiles42
So then I would need track pads for star mazda because if so I mean I'm willing to get some but what will the best ones be? . . .
Send an email or talk to Craig at Rennstore.com - he is the Porsche brake pad man.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:36 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about a sprint booster??
Old 03-22-2010, 01:06 AM
Wiles42
Track Day

Originally Posted by KS-CS
Send an email or talk to Craig at Rennstore.com - he is the Porsche brake pad man.
Thanks for the reference!

Originally Posted by 993c2cab
How about a sprint booster??
How will this help me...sorry I'm kinda new to this whole thing
Old 03-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Fooshe
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

2 words......Stuttgart Performance.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:19 PM
gasman1
AutoX

Goodridge stainless steel wrapped Teflon brake lines will firm up the bottom of the pedal range and get rid of that mushy feel the stock lines have.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by 996turboblk
Not necessarily. If the auto maker -- Porsche in this case -- clearly and prominently states restrictions concerning the use of parts or fluids in the ccar affecting the warranty of the car then if Porsche states that using some other brake fluid can void the warranty at least on the brake system components this is allowed by Magnuson-Moss.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiles42
I bought my new baby which turned out to be a Cayman S and I think I might want to bring it to the Buttonwillow Raceway for the upcoming Red Line series but before doing so do you guys have any suggestions on what I could do to it in order to get it in racing shape. I mean nothing to flashy I just dont want to be the only one with a stock car at this event. Thanks for any posts.
Not sure if this present in your Cayman S but my 08 Cayman S had a large plastic "baffle" in the engine air intake behind the grill.

The Porsche tech asked me if I wanted it removed and he assured me removing it made no difference in the function of the air intake system to avoid ingesting dirt, debris, trash or water, so I said "yes" and he removed the grill and then removed the baffle.

Took him about 5 minutes. If there was any benefit to the engine's performance I can't say. The engine felt the same after as before and I don't recall the engine sounding any different either. (Unfortunately just 25 days after I bought the car it was lost to an accident so my time with the car with the baffle in place and then removed was short.)

Oh, a few days after I bought the car I took it back to the dealer with the complaint the steering wheel was not centered. Service manager put the car on the alignment rack and tech found the alignment off and brought the alignment into spec. The wheel was centered too.

Car's steering and road feel improved after. This car was new too so don't assume the alignment's ok just because the car's "new".

Not a mod to be sure but ensuring the alignment is on the money important to prolonging the life of the tires and minimizing wear/tear on the steering/suspension/drivetrain that can arise from driving around with the alignment off.

Added: Might mention one "mod" I'd recommend is an early oil/filter service. I treated my 08 CS to one at 750 miles (and glad I did based on the amount of particulate matter I found in the oil filter housing oil (where to be sure the filter stopped it from making it to the bearings) and then another one at 1300+ miles (with just barely a bit of shiny metallic sheen in the filter housing oil) then another at the end of "break-in" (2000 miles).

Sincerely,

Macster.

Last edited by Macster; 08-08-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Dogberri
Advanced

a little off topic but man those cars are sexy
Old 05-23-2010, 02:33 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

KS CS has great advice --

I'd be glad to help (might have already !) with the brakes - I've seen it all ;-)

Quick Reply: Bought a New Cayman S Any Mod Suggestions