Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new 2010 Box S w/ 9K discount???

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 07:26 PM
tango131
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
Default new 2010 Box S w/ 9K discount???

I randomly walked into the dealer yesterday to testdrive some boxster s pre-owned examples, and saw the 9k discount on s models. can someone tell me what do 2010 boxster s normally go under MSRP without the 9k discount? 1K, 2K, 3K under MSRP? or they sell at invoice? could I negociate this "normal" discount on top of the factory 9K discount?

I'm seriously considering picking up a new one instead of the preowned 2006 model I was looking at. it comes down to paying 34-37K for a good pre-owned 2006 S or in the low 50K's for a new 2010 S model.

I'm new to porsches and need to make up my mind before march 31 (when the 9K discount expires). oh, and they also have 2.9 % financing....

please help. thanks!!!
Old 03-28-2010, 08:06 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,630 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by tango131
I randomly walked into the dealer yesterday to testdrive some boxster s pre-owned examples, and saw the 9k discount on s models. can someone tell me what do 2010 boxster s normally go under MSRP without the 9k discount? 1K, 2K, 3K under MSRP? or they sell at invoice? could I negociate this "normal" discount on top of the factory 9K discount?

I'm seriously considering picking up a new one instead of the preowned 2006 model I was looking at. it comes down to paying 34-37K for a good pre-owned 2006 S or in the low 50K's for a new 2010 S model.

I'm new to porsches and need to make up my mind before march 31 (when the 9K discount expires). oh, and they also have 2.9 % financing....

please help. thanks!!!
The 9k off is a Porsche match discount for the dealer. Porsche will match the dealers discount up to $4500. So pretty sure the $9k is the max for the Cayman.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:30 PM
tango131
Instructor

thanks. that helps. I wonder if this is that good of a deal then. what discounts do folks normally get when buying these cars? sorry for the silly questions.... new here and trying to determine if I shoul buy a used S for ~35K or a new S for ~53K. any further thoughts appreciated. thanks
Old 03-28-2010, 09:14 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,630 Likes on 899 Posts

thanks. that helps. I wonder if this is that good of a deal then. what discounts do folks normally get when buying these cars? sorry for the silly questions.... new here and trying to determine if I shoul buy a used S for ~35K or a new S for ~53K. any further thoughts appreciated. thanks
This is a huge deal. If you can find a Cayman you like even better. Porsche didn't make too many 2010's. Porsche has only done discounts like this once before and that's it!
Old 03-29-2010, 12:54 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

please help. thanks!!!
Fremont CA Porsche dealer advertising discounts in the San Jose Mercury newspaper, Sunday car ad section.

One car listed, new 2010 Boxster S black sells retail for $67645, but is offered at a discount of $9000, which let's see...works out to a sale price of $58645.

There is a 2010 Cayman (doesn't "say" S) listed for retail at $73280 discounted $9000. Several base Boxsters discounted $9000 though a 2009 discounted $12000 from a retail price of $71840.

Prices people have paid are all over the map. Hard to know how much under "invoice" anyone paid cause no one knows "invoice", at least no one outside of Porsche/PCNA, the dealer's GM and his banker know what he pays for his cars.

I do remember from shopping new (well, new (unregistered) left over 2008 Cayman S's) early last year there were big markdowns ($20K) on some new cars and I looked at a few 2009s and was approached more than once by salesmen suggesting that were I interested in a new 2009 discounts were available. In one case a salesman guoted some discount and I asked if that was still available with the low financing and was told "yes". Now this was around a year ago and I never actually sat down and tried to get the financing, but did end up buying a new 2008 Cayman S for $12K off of sticker and a better than market trade-in allowance on my 06 Pontiac GTO.

However, I read in the fine print on the ad I have in front of me that "Prices can not be combined with Special Finance or Lease Rates."

Your best buy is a used Cayman, one, 2 or even 3 years old. The first owner has already taken the hit on depreciation and with discounts like I quoted above, this only works to lower the prices of used cars.

It is impossible for me to say with any confidence, but you might be able to get some extra money off one of the cars I mentioned above, or similar cars offered at another dealer.

Generally if a car is offered for sale, there is still some room for the dealer to move down on price, though of course he's going to resist.

While a dealer hates to lose a sale he believes with these discounts the discounted cars will move fast. Car dealers are eternally optimistic, they have to be, naturally. And there are several days, well, one day until the 31st.

But there is always another car, this to you, so you can wait and see if the cars sell. After the 31st wait a few days, even a week or so, then revisit the dealer and see how many cars he has today on his lot are gone by then. Needless to say, but I'll say it, you have to accurately note which cars are currently offered and take "inventory" when you go back. (The times I've shopped for cars I knew better the dealer's inventory and how quickly he was selling cars than he did or that he let on at any rate.) If few or none of the cars are gone, you stand a better chance of getting him to lower his price some more.

If some cars have sold, say 1/3rd to more, that buys him some time, and gives him some hope. He is no longer paying flooring costs on those cars that he sold so his daily operating expenses dropped some amount. And he might get stingy with the discounts.

Then too you have to factor in what difference a few dollars makes. At $9K off that's a pretty good discount. Sure, this time last year the 2008s were discounted way more, but there were way more cars for sale.

As time goes by and as any 2009s or 2010s remain unsold the cars might almost certainly will be discounted again, maybe even more than they are now. But selection will drop.

Shortly after I bought my 2008 Cayman S in early April on May 1st I lost it to an accident. In the nearly 2 months it took me to settle with the other driver's insurance company, sell the Cayman S with a salvage title and gather together again all the money I needed to replace the car all the similar optioned and priced Cayman S's were long gone. There were a few 2008s left but they were quite heavily optioned and priced way higher than I really wanted to spend and the options were not that attractive to me. While the discounts were still there the remaining cars were no longer as desireable and enough so I could resist buying one as much as I wanted to replace my 2008 Cayman S (that was one nice car!).

I continued to look -- branching out into looking at some nice 2009 Cayman S's -- but got distracted by 996 Turbos and found a nice used 2003 example for a bit more money the 2008 Cayman S cost me but less than a discounted more heavily optioned Cayman S would have cost me.

While I loved my Cayman S the short -- 25 or 26 days I was able to drive it -- I sure do love my 03 Turbo!

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:56 PM
tango131
Instructor

thank you for all the great information. I thinkn now I'm leaning towards taking my time and finding a excellent pre-owned example. thanks much.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:52 AM
MAPC
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are refocusing on the used search, I wanted to add a thought to the prices you mentioned above. An 05/06 Boxster S --- well equipped --- should be findable in the $28-32K range as opposed to the 34-37K that you mentioned above.

I was shopping in Nov/Dec last year and bought my 06 S with power seats, heated seats, Bose, PCM, Sport Chrono, Sport Shift, etc. for 29K with 35K miles and 2.5 years left of CPO warranty. Had also found an 05 with fewer miles, no sport chrono or power seats but did have full leather and 19" wheels for 29K as well (but no warranty).

I had actually found a similarly equipped 07 locally, at a dealer, for 34K.

I hope that this is helpful.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:05 PM
tango131
Instructor

thanks folks. I ended up buying a new 2010 box S. dealer made me an offer that, after a bit of haggling, I could not refuse. I posted a crappy phone pic of the car in another thread.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:50 PM
tinman
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny story, I'm so stupid, when I was buying my new 2006 Boxster S back then, I was so nervous I forgot to ask about negotiating price...previously, I had found Mercedes models that I had purchased had no negotiaton, they had been marked up before.....as the sales manager was writing up the contract, he had seen me numerous times in his showroom, he took $5K off without me even asking.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by tinman
Funny story, I'm so stupid, when I was buying my new 2006 Boxster S back then, I was so nervous I forgot to ask about negotiating price...previously, I had found Mercedes models that I had purchased had no negotiaton, they had been marked up before.....as the sales manager was writing up the contract, he had seen me numerous times in his showroom, he took $5K off without me even asking.
A discount is a discount. Sometimes it pays to be lucky.

How's that 2006 Boxster working for you?

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: new 2010 Box S w/ 9K discount???