Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSM reprogramming on Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:20 AM
str8ner
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PSM reprogramming on Cayman

I just drove a Cayman for the first time at VIR. Very impressive car. Great balance. However I found the computer (PSM) to be extremely intrusive and frustrating (even when "off"). Is there a computer upgrade shutting off or tuning down the PSM system? What do Gram Am and Cayman Interseries car use?

Thanks, Stephan
Old 11-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Did the car have the sport chrono package? Also was it Gen 1 or Gen 2 cayman?
Old 11-23-2010, 12:39 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I find that the PSM rarely interferes with driving, unless it is very loose. The CS platform is different in driving style than the 911 or the 9x4 platforms, if driven very smoothly, the speed is there even with PSM still active, I rarely turn it off. The only issue we know is that depending on the tires and brake pads, ABS does kick in too early sometimes, but from traction and stability control, the intervention is rare in my experience.

But to really answer your question, Napelton re-programs the ECU for the Interseries cars and I believe BGB use Siemens instead of Bosch.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

I am told that from 09 the cars use a Siemens ECU versus Bosch on the previous models.

I am surprised that PSM intervened when "off"? I find PSM to be quite non intrusive unless the car is well out of shape. Traction Control on the other hand is a real nanny and very intrusive. Still on a Cayman when you turn off PSM is TC still active? Of the two TC is by far the worst offender in my experience.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:59 PM
str8ner
Racer

Bob, TC was intervening but TC and all other nannies are one. Only one button I could turn off. Unlike GT3 you do not choose what u turn off. I have tracked many different cars and this was excessively intrusive. It was an 09 I believe.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:01 PM
str8ner
Racer

Generation 2 no sport chrono
Old 11-23-2010, 07:12 PM
KS-CS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by str8ner
I just drove a Cayman for the first time at VIR. Very impressive car. Great balance. However I found the computer (PSM) to be extremely intrusive and frustrating (even when "off"). Is there a computer upgrade shutting off or tuning down the PSM system? What do Gram Am and Cayman Interseries car use?

Thanks, Stephan
There are some Cayman owners who have disabled the PSM (completely) by disconnecting the yaw sensor (or wiring in a kill switch) located on the driver's side console tunnel. See the following posts from P-9:

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...tml#post488189

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...tml#post324294
Old 12-15-2010, 07:10 PM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Our Gen 1 is much faster on track with PSM off.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:57 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't that what the delete button is for!
Old 12-16-2010, 12:24 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KS-CS
There are some Cayman owners who have disabled the PSM (completely) by disconnecting the yaw sensor (or wiring in a kill switch) located on the driver's side console tunnel. See the following posts from P-9:

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...tml#post488189

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...tml#post324294
Exactly. Once off is really off. No nannies at all, other than ABS.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:53 PM
DGH-Fahren
AutoX

Default Cayman S - PSM Defeat Options

Gentlemen : I was just at Laguna Seca on November 19th, driving with the PCA-Diablo, in the advanced/instructor group. The car is a 2011 Cayman S with PDK and Sport Chrono, but without PASM.

Being new to the car, I naively left PSM "on". By the end of the day the rear brake pads were very well worn. I can contribute this to one of two things - less than perfect smoothness/transitions, and/or PSM intervention. Since this was my 5th track day this year, of about 35 overall, I suspect PSM is partly to blame. Here are two questions ...

1) Has anyone had any problems with the PSM or the car, after defeating the yaw sensor (located in the center console), either by unplugging the sensor, or installing a switch on the ground side ? For example, is this transparent with no side affects, once the sensor is reconnected ?

2) What has been your experience with simply turning off PSM instead, using the Porsche PSM button ? According to the Porsche Technical Glossary website - Anti-Slip Regulation (ASR) is turned off, but Automatic Brake Differential (ABD) remains on. Uncle Freddy is still watching you :-) !

See this URL for more ... http://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutpors...nologyglossary Search for "PSM" and then select "Cayman" Also search for "ASR" and "ABD".

Thanks for any and all insights and advice, Freunde am Fahren !
Old 12-30-2012, 09:33 AM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 645 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by DGH-Fahren
Gentlemen : I was just at Laguna Seca on November 19th, driving with the PCA-Diablo, in the advanced/instructor group. The car is a 2011 Cayman S with PDK and Sport Chrono, but without PASM.

Being new to the car, I naively left PSM "on". By the end of the day the rear brake pads were very well worn. I can contribute this to one of two things - less than perfect smoothness/transitions, and/or PSM intervention. Since this was my 5th track day this year, of about 35 overall, I suspect PSM is partly to blame. Here are two questions ...

1) Has anyone had any problems with the PSM or the car, after defeating the yaw sensor (located in the center console), either by unplugging the sensor, or installing a switch on the ground side ? For example, is this transparent with no side affects, once the sensor is reconnected ?

2) What has been your experience with simply turning off PSM instead, using the Porsche PSM button ? According to the Porsche Technical Glossary website - Anti-Slip Regulation (ASR) is turned off, but Automatic Brake Differential (ABD) remains on. Uncle Freddy is still watching you :-) !

See this URL for more ... http://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutpors...nologyglossary Search for "PSM" and then select "Cayman" Also search for "ASR" and "ABD".

Thanks for any and all insights and advice, Freunde am Fahren !
Hello All,

The PSM on Gen 1 cars can be eliminated as shown in the above posts and is a permanent solution.
On Gen 2 cars with the 6 speed manual trans it also works well and is a permanent solution.
However, on Gen 2 cars with PDK the PSM system has to be active for the PDK to work in Sport or Sport Plus modes. If you try to eliminate the system it will give you PSM failure codes and the PDK will shift like its in standard mode..

We have produced 4 Cayman PDK 3.8L gen 2 Caymans for the track and do not have any issues with the PSM getting in the way.... I Can say for sure some drivers experience more interaction with the PSM than others and I can only equate that to driving style.. and the ones fighting the PSM and ABS issues were always the slower ones on the track..

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 12-30-2012, 12:06 PM
Audii-Dudii
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rick DeMan
However, on Gen 2 cars with PDK the PSM system has to be active for the PDK to work in Sport or Sport Plus modes. If you try to eliminate the system it will give you PSM failure codes and the PDK will shift like its in standard mode..
Rick:

In addition, on Gen 1 cars (and presumably Gen 2 as well?), disabling PSM will also disable PASM or at least lock into the "normal" mode ... BTDT with my '06. For autocrossing, I would love to be able to disable PSM but leave PASM alone and intact ... are you aware of any method that will accomplish this?

Thanks!

JG
Old 12-31-2012, 05:21 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
Exactly. Once off is really off. No nannies at all, other than ABS.
I thought that engagement of ABS will effectively re-arm PSM/TC. To keep it off one has to stay out of ABS. Thats not correct?

Quick Reply: PSM reprogramming on Cayman