Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I add Porsche OEM TPMS to a 987 that doesn't have it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Ajjra
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Can I add Porsche OEM TPMS to a 987 that doesn't have it?

Can I add Porsche OEM TPMS to a 987 that doesn't have it? I know there are aftermarket solutions but I would prefer the OEM one that appears on the trip computer.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2012, 05:20 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I would be doubtful it would be easy. For example, I was looking at buying a Cayenne that a dealer had on the lot, but did not have a heated wheel. After checking about adding a heated wheel, I was told that the wiring harness is built specifically for the options ordered, so it would not work. I think what you are proposing would be MUCH more complicated than adding a heated wheel. My $.02.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:57 AM
tinman
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ajira... I am in the same boat as you....I ended up buying a car (a 2006 S, bought in late 2005) on the lot after hours of going back and forth....bought it because it was the GT Silver/Cocoa Brown color combo I wanted. The absence of the TPMS option and lack of spare were 2 that got past me, when I should have walked and come back better rested. As a result, I am hesitant to take my car on trips. I purchased an aftermarket kit, but have not had it installed yet. Google for Hella TC-400, it's only a couple of hundred dollars. It includes the 4 tire pressure sensors, and the electronics module and a display for your car interior. I am going to have it installed by a Porsche dealership, already had a meeting with the service manager and a service technician, and the install should cost a few hundred dollars. The tires stems have to be replaced with the TPMS stems, then the electronics installed. I hope it works, if not, I was thinking of getting a Targa anyway, and now with the 991, the beautiful 987 Targa is history. I had not been driving my 06' Boxster S much anyway (8K miles/7 years), I had a serious auto accident that leaves me always wanting to avoid cars. May just get a new hobby....

Quick Reply: Can I add Porsche OEM TPMS to a 987 that doesn't have it?