Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PASM better?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Targa1974
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PASM better?

I am shopping for a used Cayman and have come across a few 2006 S models that have PASM and Sport Chrono. I know what they do, but my question is whether they are a desirable option or is PASM a potential problem? I plan to use the car as a daily driver with occasional auto-x and maybe a DE at Sebring, and prefer the handling and power of the S. Any thoughts/experience? Thanks
Old 06-23-2012, 01:02 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I considered them desirable for AX and track when I ordered both on my new '06 CS. I still consider them well worth the money, although I very rarely use either other than for AX and track. Switching to sport mode makes a noticeable difference in both suspension firmness and throttle response (the latter takes a little getting used to). Whether they'd be desirable for road driving probably depends on the driver.

The timer part of Sport Chrono was fun to mess with initially, but I haven't used that in years.

I've never heard/read about any PASM or Sport Chrono problems.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:23 PM
FrenchRico
AutoX

For me PASM is an essential option.
With PASM you have two cars : Daily and Sport Car...
Old 06-24-2012, 03:25 PM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ totally agree
Old 06-26-2012, 12:48 PM
VampireSix
AutoX

For autocross use, PASM is an ideal option. I've read here that PASM cars have a higher spring rate than non PASM equipped ones. Also, the car sits 10mm lower which allows for more negative camber on the front end. I don't have PASM, but wish I did.

I do, however, have sport chrono. I never use it. The increased throttle response is a hindrance rather than a help when driving at the limit, and does nothing to help lower lap times.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:18 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just have to ask...

Why increased throttle response would be a hinderance when driving "at the limit"?

Last edited by KaiB; 06-26-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:51 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

If you are used to the normal "non-sport" throttle, switching to sport can upset your throttle "squeeze" when on the track. When I tried it, the result was two spins. I'm in the instructor group.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:58 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
If you are used to the normal "non-sport" throttle, switching to sport can upset your throttle "squeeze" when on the track. When I tried it, the result was two spins. I'm in the instructor group.
I understand; this is a skill one must learn - as it gives finer control of the car.

I've re-worked the somewhat definitive sentence I previously questioned:

"The increased throttle response is a hindrance rather than a help for me when I'm driving at my limit, and does nothing to help lower my lap times."
Old 06-26-2012, 10:43 PM
VampireSix
AutoX

No, it was phrased perfectly the first time. Sport Chrono won't make the car any faster. Period.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:25 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
I just have to ask...

Why increased throttle response would be a hinderance when driving "at the limit"?
For some drivers SC's increased throttle response per increment of pedal movement makes modulation more difficult.

Originally Posted by VampireSix
No, it was phrased perfectly the first time. Sport Chrono won't make the car any faster. Period.
+1, but it makes the car seem faster, fooling some butt meters
Old 06-28-2012, 02:12 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

PASM is a waste of money, when buying new. If buying an used Cayman and the PASM or non-PASM price is the same, PASM is worth it.

The 2012 Cayman R shocks/springs are non-PASM, and better than the 06-08 PASM, and better than the 09-12 PASM. Bilstein PSS9 are cheap and much better than the Cayman R shocks/springs. PSS9 allow for a setting that suits daily driving, then adjust them for autoX or track use.

For track use, the Cayman has too many weaknesses, I have experienced all of them in just 6 track days, they take heavy $$$ to get fixed.

For autoX use, the car needs either a LSD or a big front sway bar.

Sport Chrono adds nothing to the Cayman, just a trigger happy throttle that adds no performance, and makes modulation difficult, especially at bumpy tracks like Sebring.

The spring rates difference between PASM and non-PASM is negligible for a car that weighs close to 3,300 lbs with driver.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
PASM is a waste of money, when buying new. If buying an used Cayman and the PASM or non-PASM price is the same, PASM is worth it.

The 2012 Cayman R shocks/springs are non-PASM, and better than the 06-08 PASM, and better than the 09-12 PASM. Bilstein PSS9 are cheap and much better than the Cayman R shocks/springs. PSS9 allow for a setting that suits daily driving, then adjust them for autoX or track use.

For track use, the Cayman has too many weaknesses, I have experienced all of them in just 6 track days, they take heavy $$$ to get fixed.

For autoX use, the car needs either a LSD or a big front sway bar.

Sport Chrono adds nothing to the Cayman, just a trigger happy throttle that adds no performance, and makes modulation difficult, especially at bumpy tracks like Sebring.

The spring rates difference between PASM and non-PASM is negligible for a car that weighs close to 3,300 lbs with driver.
I guess it depends if you are driving for the pleasure of the track day, in a non competitive way or not. Every car has weaknesses on track, road cars especially and track cars too...
Old 07-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Dave DE
Racer

Originally Posted by Targa1974
I am shopping for a used Cayman and have come across a few 2006 S models that have PASM and Sport Chrono. I know what they do, but my question is whether they are a desirable option or is PASM a potential problem? I plan to use the car as a daily driver with occasional auto-x and maybe a DE at Sebring, and prefer the handling and power of the S. Any thoughts/experience? Thanks
I have both PASM and SC on my '06 and think PASM is a great thing to have on a dual use car. You have a comfortable ride for everyday driving and can firm it up considerably for track/AX use.
A couple things about the SC that are worth mentioning- You can put PASM in sport mode without activating the SC sport mode by using the button with a pic of a shock absorber on it. Also, by putting SC in sport mode in addition to the throttle response change (which I don't like) the threshold for PSM activation is increased. It allows the car to come further around before PSM steps in. This can be a nice middle ground between disabling PSM completely and the standard mode.

Quick Reply: PASM better?