Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman R or Wait For New Cayman S?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 05:58 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

One advantage of the 981 cars is the electric steering. Boxsters and Caymans of the previous generations are known to have problems with the power steering system resulting in wrecked hydraulics, leaks and even fires. The electric assisted steering on the 2013 cars solves that problem - which seems only to be an issue when track driven by fast drivers.

Regards,
Old 11-30-2012, 08:49 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
One advantage of the 981 cars is the electric steering. Boxsters and Caymans of the previous generations are known to have problems with the power steering system resulting in wrecked hydraulics, leaks and even fires. The electric assisted steering on the 2013 cars solves that problem - which seems only to be an issue when track driven by fast drivers.

Regards,
So would manual steering... and they could just be changing the problems/failures from the ones we know to ones we don't. Now it's software controlled. no one ever has problems with that.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:07 PM
BryanJoslin
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't driven the new Boxster/Cayman, but have spent time in a couple 991s. The new generation is really, really good. They make the 987/997 cars feel surprisingly old when driven back-to-back. Having said that, the Cayman R was hands-down the most fun I've had driving since, well, since the Boxster Spyder.

Personally, I prefer the more analog feel of the last-gen cars, and as others have already stated, the R is the best version of the Cayman. My vote.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:06 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dang... I want a CR, now.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:50 PM
J.Khan
Advanced

I would choose the Cayman R for many reasons that are not worth mentioning because my argument would be as subjective as the next person. But, I will quote from the recent Skyfall movie, “Sometimes, the old ways are the best.”
Old 01-11-2013, 06:45 PM
DaveN007
AutoX

Originally Posted by Maxhouse97
New CS will most certainly outperform the R. Unfortunately the R is not a true RS/GT3. If cost/wait is not a concern, the 2013 CS will be a better car.
A GT3 is not an RS.

An RS is not a Cup Car.

Not sure the point. Neither is a 918.

New CS will not outperform an R unless you are comparing PDK versus manual. The difference will be the driver.

I would take an R over a 991 Carrera with its electric steering and e parking brake.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:53 PM
DaveN007
AutoX

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau

Regards,
I believe the power steering issues were limited to the Gen 1 cars (06,07,08).

So electric steering didn't solve a problem with anything besides the requirement to meet stricter fuel efficiency/emissions laws.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:24 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,858 Likes on 2,218 Posts

I've done a lot of track days with a Cayman R. For the price, it's an excellent sports car -- sufficiently fast and sufficiently raw. The new Cayman S will likely be faster, but more refined, so not as much fun if you want raw. The GT3 is a different level, and certainly faster than a Cayman R, when both are driven by relatively good drivers (the comparison is pretty meaningless with lesser drivers).
Old 01-13-2013, 10:52 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I was going to buy this car:

Paint to sample Stone Gray. Color matched bits inside. Light options (A/C, no radio, Xenons). All was looking good until the wife said, "And where will the baby sit when we all go out?" Ugh. I had to settle for another 911.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:40 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I was going to buy this car:

Paint to sample Stone Gray. Color matched bits inside. Light options (A/C, no radio, Xenons). All was looking good until the wife said, "And where will the baby sit when we all go out?" Ugh. I had to settle for another 911.
That sucks, guess that is why there will always be a 911. I just hope they keep the Cayman small, light and more raw.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:11 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

tangram Did you ever sell you 993 or you still on the fence ?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:38 PM
tangram
Racer

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
tangram Did you ever sell you 993 or you still on the fence ?
Hi there,

It is tucked under its cover and stored for the Canadian winter. I have an order for a Cayman S with a dealer but I am waiting until February to submit it as I am looking at a July European delivery. I will re-list the 993 in April when it is out of storage but looking for a fair price as the CS purchase is not contingent on the 993 sale. Although I will to find garage space door when it is out of storage if that makes any sense at all.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:57 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on your order, that would be an awesome experience and trip to do What colour are leaning towards ? Did you ever list it this past fall ?
Old 01-15-2013, 03:22 PM
tangram
Racer

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
Congrats on your order, that would be an awesome experience and trip to do What colour are leaning towards ? Did you ever list it this past fall ?
I am thinking GT Silver over red with black Carrera S wheels (although they aren't currently in the configurator.

Listed half heartedly for a while last Fall but because thew new Cayman had not been debuted, I did not make much effort.

The 993 will be hard to part with. It has become part of the family but I am sheepish about owning 4 vehicles in a two driver family.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:46 PM
Bullitt44
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

You can not go wrong with a Cayman R, as I have driven plenty and as a blast at the track and street.

I will share that I picked up a 2013 Boxster for daily duties and could not be happier, the whole package is just very well done. The elect. steering is a nice surprise and the shifter is just plain better. Good luck in your decision enjoy either choice.

I have owned a Cayman S and really liked it, but replaced it with a GT3 which is sleeping for the winter.

Quick Reply: Cayman R or Wait For New Cayman S?