Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the 987 the last REAL Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 08:20 PM
gfl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The 981 is getting glowing reviews as a drivers' car...

I dont follow. I would anticipate the 981 series (boxter and cayman) will increasingly become the hard-core due; while the 991 becomes the hgih performance GT, and the rest pay the bills.

OK by me.

BTW, i drove a Panamera on the track and its one hell of a grocery getter.

Grant

Originally Posted by Turb-OH Brad
I look at Porsche's trajectory with increasing concerns. A desire to move mainstream, to appeal to a wider variety of sportscar owners, and a decrease in feeling and soul.

I am not saying that I am faulting them for making this change, they are a company that needs to make profit...

Discuss...
Old 11-30-2012, 09:05 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ironic part of the original question is that in certain markets, the CAYENNE is THE porsche.. those little sports cars? who would want one of them.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:33 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Only Porsches that can be driven on Indian roads are panameras and Cayennes. They are the only Porsches you see out there. I own(ed) multiple Porsches. Trust me they are all amazing cars. I have debated a million times to give up my 997.2 C4S or Cayenne for a pristine 987 spyder that came up for sale. Just couldn't see myself doing that. Its funny how people say that after driving a GT3 there is no way they can drive their C2S or c4S. My take is completely different. They all are brilliant cars, each has its own purpose.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 11-30-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:44 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Only panameras and Cayennes can be driven on roads in India. There are the only Porsches you see out there. I own(ed) multiple Porsches. Trust me they are all amazing cars. I have debated a million times to give up my 997.2 C4S or Cayenne for a pristine 987 spyder that came up for sale. Just couldn't see myself doing that. Its funny how people say that after driving a GT3 there is no way they can drive their C2S or c4S. My take is completely different. They all are brilliant cars, each has its own purpose.
That is exactly how I look at it as well. Personally the only Porsche I'm not a fan of right now is the Panamera. I just can't get past the looks of the rear end. If the Cayenne was available with third row I would consider a used one, having that performance in a family hauler is awesome. If I had the means I would definitely trade my C32 for a 911, especially while my kids were still small enough to fit in the back!
Old 12-01-2012, 01:00 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Afshin my wife wanted a Pana; that would have nailed two birds in one stone. I know form follows function but I too could not look past the bulbous rear end. Hence the C4S and the Cayenne.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:01 AM
awai08
Advanced

I've started to think (for a while) that the "real" Porsches ended with the 993. Those were the last of the slightly quirky sports car that attracted primarily sports car enthusiasts. Everything afterward (I say this while owning a 987.1) has been sanitized to the point anybody can drive any Porsche in a "spirited" manner. Progressive engineering and PDK makes it possible. There's a recurring theme in my area with female CEO types driving the 991. Pleased I am that this person chooses a Porsche, but somehow I can't see myself wanting to strike up a conversation about hp, torque, electromagnetic steering and similar topics.

I suppose you also can call the 991/981 the "last" Porsches, since these are the last cars developed during Porsche's existence as an independent car company. Everything that comes afterward will be under the watch of now-parent VW. But. Whatever. I find it's really the passion of the driver towards driving and cars that determines what's really a "Porsche," or what we really mean, a true "driver's car."
Old 12-01-2012, 10:00 AM
wbgordon
Racer

Haven't we been reading for years about the last of the real Porsches? First it was the 964 because it was the last of the air-cooled 911s done in pure German styling. Then it was the 993 because it was the last of the air-cooleds, period, the styling having at that point gone Italian.

We're still posting on the rennlist, right? That must mean we've yet to see the last of the real Porsches, but rather that there are more brilliantly made products to come from Stuttgart.

Embrace change, folks. It's what evolution is all about.

Last edited by wbgordon; 12-01-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:20 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by awai08
I've started to think (for a while) that the "real" Porsches ended with the 993. Those were the last of the slightly quirky sports car that attracted primarily sports car enthusiasts. Everything afterward (I say this while owning a 987.1) has been sanitized to the point anybody can drive any Porsche in a "spirited" manner. Progressive engineering and PDK makes it possible. There's a recurring theme in my area with female CEO types driving the 991. Pleased I am that this person chooses a Porsche, but somehow I can't see myself wanting to strike up a conversation about hp, torque, electromagnetic steering and similar topics.

I suppose you also can call the 991/981 the "last" Porsches, since these are the last cars developed during Porsche's existence as an independent car company. Everything that comes afterward will be under the watch of now-parent VW. But. Whatever. I find it's really the passion of the driver towards driving and cars that determines what's really a "Porsche," or what we really mean, a true "driver's car."
I know exactly what you mean. I have a neighbor, female executive, who owns a 2011 997 Turbo S convertibile. We had a community get together over the summer, and I complemented her on her car. After a couple of minutes of talking to her, it was apparent that she knew next to nothing about Porsches. So I asked her why she picked that car. Her reply was that she was getting her A8 serviced and saw the Porsche on the showroom floor. So she bought the turbo because she likes red convertibles. I doubt that she will ever exceed 3K rpms. Maybe I can buy that car when she tires of it, but it will likely be out of my price range. The car probably stickered for around $160K.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:10 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
I know exactly what you mean. I have a neighbor, female executive, who owns a 2011 997 Turbo S convertibile. We had a community get together over the summer, and I complemented her on her car. After a couple of minutes of talking to her, it was apparent that she knew next to nothing about Porsches. So I asked her why she picked that car. Her reply was that she was getting her A8 serviced and saw the Porsche on the showroom floor. So she bought the turbo because she likes red convertibles. I doubt that she will ever exceed 3K rpms. Maybe I can buy that car when she tires of it, but it will likely be out of my price range. The car probably stickered for around $160K.
That probably describes about 90% of Turbo Cab owners.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If you have a large car company that only caters to enthusiasts, you will go out of business.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I don't agree with the comment that the 993 was the last of the true Porsches. I do agree that Porsche is making far fewer enthusiast cars but the bottom line is that they still are making enthusiast cars and they are incredibly good. I would never trade my Spyder for a 993. What attracts me to the 993 are the looks and to this day I think it's a beautiful car. I don't know enough about the driving experience to comment but I imagine it has a dated feel to it. The Spyder to me is just as beautiful and definitely a more modern driving experience although definitely not sanitized as many seem to think.

From what I have read the GT and RS cars are also an incredible experience and probably every bit as quirky and fun to drive as a 993 but with superior performance.

Like wbgordon mentioned, it's progress and either you embrace it or live in the past. For me, my Porsche options are limited to the specialty cars if I want a car for the driving experience. But as already mentioned, I would love a 991 as a DD. Fast, comfortable, enough space for the family if needed and still beautiful.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:33 AM
Rushman71
Instructor

Every time a new model of any Porsche comes out the owners of the previous gen always sing this same song. Just enjoy your cars people, Jesus.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:12 AM
GooDy151
Track Day

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Everything is real... Just live with it. Except new things.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:33 PM
TheKane
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 26 Posts

The solution is easy......just buy one of each.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:07 AM
ClintonM3
Racer

A real Porsche should be developed and manufactured by..... Porsche. I am all about R&D especially.

Economy of scale...Toyota Production System... co-branding..... etc, etc. Those are the buzz words for every automaker now. Unfortunately, IMO we will soon see more than just parts and facilities sharing with VW. I won't drink water down blended scotch.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:04 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,487 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
The 993 was the last real Porsche
bob, you are too young.
356 was the only real porsche.

Quick Reply: Is the 987 the last REAL Porsche?