Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster in the New England winter and Base VS S

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 12:40 AM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Boxster in the New England winter and Base VS S

So I am a new Boxster owner and this will be the first winter for me with this car that I have unexpectedly gone crazy over. I keep it in a heated garage but am wondering what the consensus is about winter driving. I am somewhat obsessive about keeping the car in great condition but also love to drive it too much to keep it squirreled away for 4 or 5 months. Is it not cool to drive it on sunny dry days in the New England winter because of the road salt? Since November has rolled into December I find I am apt to drive the car only once or twice a week but would curtail this if it meant better longevity for the car. I may not be in a position to buy another for some time although on another point I have been obsessing about upgrading to an S model Boxster while the base is still young enough not to lose too much $$$. I love the way my base 2010 Boxster looks (what a beautiful car) and drives but feel it could stand more punch in the low end. Does the S model really deliver a lot more get up and go? I have not test driven one yet as I fear the financial consequences.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:21 AM
987s987
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in the midwest and we get salty snowy winters. I've always driven my cars on dry sunny days. I won't drive it on a wet day because of the salt that is inherently on the ground but as long as the ground is dry it won't affect anything, IMO. Also, if I do drive it and it happens to get wet, I take it to a detail shop and get it cleaned up.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:53 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've known several folks who drive their boxsters year round. They aren't too bad in snow, as long as the snow doesn't get deep and you run dedicated snow tires.

Would that mean having to wash it a bit more? perhaps.. but who are you saving the car for? Heck, Porsche's come with a 12 year rust warranty.. how long are you keeping it
Old 12-05-2012, 12:21 AM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 114 Posts

So my wife drives her Boxster all year long. We throw 4 snows on for the winter and it is incredible. With all the driver nanny's its so easy to drive in the snow.

love this car in the snow.....

Matt
Old 12-05-2012, 01:01 PM
kpg1945
Intermediate

I got a 2013 Boxster S last summer and am going through the same mental exercise. After talking to a lot of people, I will put the car on a battery maintainer, pump up the tires, and take it for a run every 2-3 weeks provided the roads are dry and clear. One important thing - if you do take it out after a "lay-off," make sure you run it at full operating temperature for about a half hour. Everyone I spoke to underscored the importance of this. The worst thing you can do is start it up, go around the block, and then put it away again. As for the question on base vs. S, I way S all the way. I tried both back to back and the difference was VERY noticeable. Saving the difference may be penny wise and pound foolish, especially when you consider the extra width of grin that the S puts on you face every time you fire it up.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:05 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Boxster is a more than satisfactory performer in the snow (particularly with winter tires); however, it has the disadvantage of most other cars in that it has low ground clearance.

That being said, if you live in a state where local/state snow removal efforts are effective (and quick), then substantial accumulations of snow on the roads almost becomes a non-issue.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:56 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Many people here and elsewhere have posted that Boxsters do very well in the snow with proper snow/winter tires (no personal experience). The only problem would be deep snow where it'll bottom out and get stuck. Actually, the other problem is salt, but how many people keep cars that long (decades)? Not ideal for subsequent owners, I must admit...
Old 12-05-2012, 09:17 PM
racer
Drifting

If you are going to drive in winter, I would suggest some kind of film protectant on the front of the car and mirrors to prevent getting hammered by stones/salt etc that other cars will spray up at you.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Twodan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Matt in MA, be sure to check out coffee & cars when it gets warmer in Taunton. Nice people get together.

I do drive my car as often as I can. Too much enjoyment to leave in the garage without snow and salt on the ground.

Dan
Old 12-07-2012, 09:27 AM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Well I still don't think I will be driving my Boxster in snow but I think I will definitely take it out on dry days. As for the S model, I have to go test drive one and compare the power to my base model. I am constantly looking for that 2010 to 2012 S car out there that will make me pull the trigger, that is color and options I want and miles under 10,000.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Even the S is only barely adequate in the power dept., but super fun. I can't imagine a standard engine. (See my Avatar for both my previous Porsches) And the other convert. in my garage is 400 HP too. I'm spoiled as far as HP goes. But that being said, the 09 Cayman S I'm daily driving is really great.... at the track too.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:30 AM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
Even the S is only barely adequate in the power dept., but super fun. I can't imagine a standard engine. (See my Avatar for both my previous Porsches) And the other convert. in my garage is 400 HP too. I'm spoiled as far as HP goes. But that being said, the 09 Cayman S I'm daily driving is really great.... at the track too.
So the base Boxster is a bit doggy off the starting blocks but once you get it into 2nd and up past 4,000 it starts to go, of course this is compared to my Honda mini van (same HP). The base is still a great ride but I guess the S would be an even greater ride. Didn't see what your other cars are in your Avatar
Old 12-08-2012, 01:39 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by meteor10
Didn't see what your other cars are in your Avatar
He used to have a GT3 and GT3 RS, it appears. From past posts, I think he regrets selling..
Old 12-08-2012, 09:46 AM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the_vetman
He used to have a GT3 and GT3 RS, it appears. From past posts, I think he regrets selling..
Oh, now i get it
Old 12-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Yes, I do... but it was fun while it lasted, and I will eventually get back into an RS I think. I love the Cayman S too, though.

Quick Reply: Boxster in the New England winter and Base VS S