Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any manual trans fans buy a PDK and regret it later?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 02:05 PM
jcastle
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6spd with sport chrono will blip on downshift. Most noticeable in sport plus. I test drove one and thought it was neat. Truth is that most street driving will never put you anywhere near needing a blip. I did not ask if blip could be turned off. You can heel toe without issue.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Jim in St.Louis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PDK transmission has better gear ratios than the stick shift. Compare those ratios and it will be clear why the PDK accelerates faster and has a higher top end speed. Good marketing trick, but disappointed in Porsche for the hustle.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:06 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Porsche makes the best manual cars, period. We have to enjoy them while we can. The only reason I'd buy a PDK is if I was racing COMPETITIVELY. There's no more fun than tracking a manual car. Yes, the PDK is quicker without a doubt, but who cares. Do you buy a car to win races or to have fun? My brother's Ferrari California is always at my house, and I much rather drive my manual Corvette GS than his car. I took it yesterday for a ride after a month of sitting there ('maintenance' ride), and it's just boring as hell to me every time I do it. Ordered a 458 spider for him, and don't think will ride it any more than this one. I had the most fun in a Ferrari when I drove his manual 430 in the twisties. And yes, it's slower than the F1s... but even with the quirky gated shifter, what a blast it was. After that, I had ZERO lust for a Ferrari, since all are F1 now.

Bottom line is manual cars are disappearing folks. Can't compare manual vs auto like manual windows and crap like that, but nobody wants to learn to drive a manual properly anymore. And/or prefer to text and talk than to shift, since even in traffic you have nothing better to do if you're a safe driver (no distractions while driving) . Unless you own a GT3 or Shelby, even a wimp can drive in traffic for hours without left-leg fatigue. It's just the laziness . But to each his own.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:00 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

I love the pdk on my 987 and I'm looking forward to it on my next RS. As somoeone said, pdk is superior to the units used on VW and BMWs I've tried. I use mine in manual mode 90 percent of the time.

Quick Reply: Any manual trans fans buy a PDK and regret it later?