Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 09:31 AM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts
Default PDK QUESTION

I recently spent some time driving a Mercedes with their auto 7-speed trans.

When you put it in full automatic mode, it upshifts to such an extent that the revs drop to a very low level (like 1500rpm) and it has no acceleration at all. Of course you can floor it and it will downshift and scoot away, or shift manually with the paddles and get good acceleration with control.

My question is: Do P-cars with PDK behave the same way in full-auto mode? Do they upshift so much that the revs drop to very low levels?

Same question about Audi models ....
Old 10-28-2013, 09:37 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it depends on whether you are driving in regular traffic or on a clear highway stretch. In the city in auto it upshifts quicker than I would but later than most regular auto transmissions, I think it's to preserve gas mileage. However, when you punch it, PDK knows what you have in mind and changes behavior, especially in sport plus where it really is noticeable. I can't tell you much about full auto as I am addicted to the paddles, I rarely use full auto, since I can't drive manual anymore I simply pretend PDK is manual.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:42 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i can get my 09 cay to go into 7th at around 1300 rpm. i do not have to floor it to get it to downshift,the more i apply the gas the lower of a gear it goes to. if i had to really nitpick i would complain about the tranny is a tad gunshy in the very cold morning for about 2 minutes or its first shift. pdk imho is great
Old 10-28-2013, 10:16 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Originally Posted by extanker
i can get my 09 cay to go into 7th at around 1300 rpm. i do not have to floor it to get it to downshift,the more i apply the gas the lower of a gear it goes to. if i had to really nitpick i would complain about the tranny is a tad gunshy in the very cold morning for about 2 minutes or its first shift. pdk imho is great

You think that transmission is clunky cold, try driving the 2011 Escape, the transmission in that vehicle feels like Ford's first attempt when it's cold, it's so bad its ridiculous and my pals does the same thing.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:51 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're concerned about quick, fuel economy driven upshifts, you need the Sports Chrono software.

BD
Old 10-28-2013, 01:13 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Depends on the auto mode you are driving in. normal, yes. sport, no. sport +, definitely no.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:23 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Yeah I forgot about that, O Joe is right on point, I call sport plus F104 Starfighter mode as a homage to Clarence Kelly Johnson. Sport plus is a devil, it's like the lay's potato chips of speeding, bet you can't just do it once....
Old 10-31-2013, 12:11 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Fred,

In a word, no. PDK does not ever exhibit any of the behavior you are describing. The PDK system is as close to perfect/intuitive as can be. In a car with sport chrono plus you have three driving modes to suit any need, and trust me, I use them all.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:43 AM
BoostPower
Intermediate

In my 09 PDK CS, in the non Sport mode or Sport Plus mode, computer will up shift quick since it will try to provide the best fuel economy. Throttle is dull in non sport mode. Normally I drive in the Sport mode, and Sport plus mode if I want some fun. Regarding the gear clunking, I drove a 981 Boxster S recently, and the newer updated one is much smooth. I wonder if we can get Porsche to reprogram the PDK so there is no clunking from 2nd to first in the sport/sport plus mode.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:39 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostPower
In my 09 PDK CS, in the non Sport mode or Sport Plus mode, computer will up shift quick since it will try to provide the best fuel economy. Throttle is dull in non sport mode. Normally I drive in the Sport mode, and Sport plus mode if I want some fun. Regarding the gear clunking, I drove a 981 Boxster S recently, and the newer updated one is much smooth. I wonder if we can get Porsche to reprogram the PDK so there is no clunking from 2nd to first in the sport/sport plus mode.
BP,

PDK is a totally different animal, and therefore you have to drive it differently. To smooth out that transition you need to practice altering your throttle modulation. Feathering the throttle will eliminate the clunk. Although I have to say I kind of like it, since it reminds me that the gearbox is still manual, albeit computer controlled.

And yes, the ultimate beauty of the system is that it is programmable, and I imagine one day, they will be flashing PDKs just like DMEs.

Aaron
Old 11-02-2013, 03:00 AM
BoostPower
Intermediate

Originally Posted by medtech
BP,

PDK is a totally different animal, and therefore you have to drive it differently. To smooth out that transition you need to practice altering your throttle modulation. Feathering the throttle will eliminate the clunk. Although I have to say I kind of like it, since it reminds me that the gearbox is still manual, albeit computer controlled.

And yes, the ultimate beauty of the system is that it is programmable, and I imagine one day, they will be flashing PDKs just like DMEs.

Aaron
Aaron, thanks for the advice. However, I should be a little more clear that as most of the clunks I experience were when the transmission shifted from 2nd into 1st near red-light when I apply brake not when on the gas or feathering as you mentioned. I know it behaves like an manual, but could be smoother However, I have drove early year model GTR's twin clutch, and PDK is definitely much better in many ways. I only wish there are more aftermarket development on the transmission software, so we can adjust the clutch as needed. I don't think Durametic is able to do it yet (I haven't really looked into it yet).
Old 11-02-2013, 05:17 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

PDK is Awefull imo.

Yes you are correct out of sports mode you find your self in 7th just getting off your drive.

In sports plus you just look like a ****.

The systems is no where near as good as the BMW one where you have 7 adjustments for the rev change point.

And as for having it on a Spyder, well that's the point of that car missed lol

And down shifting is still well flawed.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:16 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
PDK is Awefull imo.

Yes you are correct out of sports mode you find your self in 7th just getting off your drive.

In sports plus you just look like a ****.

The systems is no where near as good as the BMW one where you have 7 adjustments for the rev change point.

And as for having it on a Spyder, well that's the point of that car missed lol

And down shifting is still well flawed.

Right that's why the new GT3 is based on revised PDK and rear wheel steering to enhance it's abilities and why manual is going away. I guess all those kooky engineers just don't understand performance like you do....I like a manual box as much as the next guy but saying a Spyder with PDK sucks just underscores that your derriere has never been in one.

PS I guess you'll have to judge my sport plus ******-ness all from a perspective of the rear bumper cover which would be all you get to study in a race with a Spyder and competent driver..
Old 11-02-2013, 10:50 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Yikes. Brits are such a prickly bunch... LOL
Old 11-02-2013, 11:28 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Brits? Me? I'm Sicilian might be worse.....

Quick Reply: PDK QUESTION