Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S as a daily driver. Am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 12:10 PM
rjdoc74
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayman S as a daily driver. Am I crazy?

Hello everyone, first post on this forum.

I am at a point in my life where I can buy my first Porsche. My issue is that I have a long commute to work; it's about 72 miles per day, 90% freeways, 5 days per week. It averages out to about 2000 miles per month. I don't really like having multiple cars for several reasons (parking, extra insurance, etc, etc). I have been going through car options and keep coming back to Cayman. What I like is that it fulfills my needs as a sports car but also gets around 30 mpg highway. I am a BMW guy (we spoiled with free maintenance), and Porsche ownership is a complete new territory to me. I am considering buying in the next 6 months, 2011 or 2012 with low miles. Planning to keep for 4-5 years or so.

What do you guys think? Would this work as a daily driver? Will I be paying arm and leg for maintenance and repairs? Do most Porsche drivers buy extended warranty after original warranty expires?

I really appreciate your help.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:14 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i settled for a new base in 09 after dealer road testing many cays. imo some S's road like a truck with 19 inch and larger rims. you will be crazy if you dont road test,aside from that they make a good every day driver. maintenance is not cheap .i did not get an extended warranty.price wise some options are insane.they handle well but torque is not a strong point
Old 11-11-2013, 02:01 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 207 Posts

My '10 S with 18's rode smoother than my E46 M3's and was quicker, imho it's a fine daily if you don't mind the occasional traffic/bumps etc.
I DD my '12 R with 19's and it's more firm than the M3's, but that's an area where most might start having a ride issue.
Mileage on the S @ 75mph is ~28-6sp. & 30-PDK
Maintenance wise the only occasional issues on .2 S's have been high pressure fuel pumps and water pumps.
Both under warranty on the years you're looking at so I say get one and don't worry about the extended maint. as long as it has been well maintained.
If you can find one with CPO, would be a plus, but they tend to be pricey and imho it's not needed.
For upkeep costs, if you're not doing your own oil changes etc., find a good Porsche independent you trust and relax, they're pretty reliable.
As a 24K mi/yr. car, I'd consider a clear bra for the front, especially for the darker colors.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:14 PM
rjdoc74
7th Gear

Thank you so much for your responses.

So most recommend against getting an extended warranty?

I am going to look into brand new one as well, maybe pretty stripped. I know I want PDK as I am going to be spending some time in LA traffic. What other options are a must and what I can skip?

Thank you again guys!
Old 11-11-2013, 02:15 PM
ThatDaveDude
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

The Cayman S makes a great daily driver. I used to drive mine 35 miles each way to work. It is comfortable, and goes wherever you point it, quickly, as you perform the daily "lane dance" among the commute crowd. My only caveat: the stock audio system is not very good. I use my 2007 Cayman S mainly for track use now, but I can say I have had no problems re: maintenance and I find my car to be pretty bullet-proof (so far! 40K miles). Once your factory warranty is up, I think it is always good to buy an extended warranty yourself or via a CPO car at that dealership. Having owned BMWs and Porsches, my experience tells me that you will find owning a Porsche to be a far better experience maintenance and cost-wise. No, you are not crazy. Go for it, I have never known anyone who has made the leap and regretted it. Most people say "why didn't I get one of these earlier?"
Old 11-11-2013, 02:22 PM
rjdoc74
7th Gear

Thank again! For those that get extended warranty, do most go with Porsche warranty or 3rd party? I know Geico offers extended warranty if you guy your car new and insure with them.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,322 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Been doing it for DD for over two years now. Usually only come into the office 4 days a week. About 50 miles per day but come in early and home early. Traffic MOVES coming in to DFW so 80 or a bit more sprints on frwy is nice. Have about 54K on it now, next month big $ service with belt, water pump, plugs etc. Base radio is not so good but it's not exactly quite in there so mostly a talk radio guy.
Next one will probably by a '09-11 with PDK. Go for it.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

I have an 07 Cayman. I'm always amazed at how much "stuff" it holds, between the front and rear storage areas. My opinion is that it's a fantastic DD. Very comfortable, too.

Consumer Reports just gave the Boxster top marks for reliability. I would assume that applies to Cayman too.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

It's a great DD.

The only thing I would suggest - if you get PDK, make sure you get the sport chrono option. It really unleashes the potential of the transmission.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:39 PM
ThatDaveDude
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rjdoc74
Thank again! For those that get extended warranty, do most go with Porsche warranty or 3rd party? I know Geico offers extended warranty if you guy your car new and insure with them.
I say go with the Porsche warranty any time it is available, they have a greater vested interest in solving your issues than a 3rd party, IMO. Your thought of buying an extended warranty at time of purchase new doesn't usually seem to make sense to me. When the factory warranty is almost up, you will be flooded with opportunities to add-on, extend, or replace that warranty. No need to purchase it now, years ahead of when you will need it. My view is you buy a used car, 2-ish years old, CPO from a good dealer. You get a long warranty, essentially the same car as new, and save yourself that first 2-years of depreciation. Unless you HAVE to have the newest design…which is pretty tempting right now! But with your expected mileage and use….?
Old 11-11-2013, 02:46 PM
rjdoc74
7th Gear

I hear you, you are right. Geico though offers something unique called MBI:

http://www.geico.com/getaquote/auto/...own-insurance/

They charge for it a little per month and I think it covers 7 years. Believe me, I waited until 49,990 miles before I shelled out $4200 for my wife's 2011 X5D extended warranty.

I am def looking into 2 year old CS. Especially since I have a good friend who has access to Menheim auctions .

Originally Posted by ThatDaveDude
I say go with the Porsche warranty any time it is available, they have a greater vested interest in solving your issues than a 3rd party, IMO. Your thought of buying an extended warranty at time of purchase new doesn't usually seem to make sense to me. When the factory warranty is almost up, you will be flooded with opportunities to add-on, extend, or replace that warranty. No need to purchase it now, years ahead of when you will need it. My view is you buy a used car, 2-ish years old, CPO from a good dealer. You get a long warranty, essentially the same car as new, and save yourself that first 2-years of depreciation. Unless you HAVE to have the newest design…which is pretty tempting right now! But with your expected mileage and use….?
Old 11-12-2013, 12:19 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
I have an 07 Cayman. I'm always amazed at how much "stuff" it holds, between the front and rear storage areas. My opinion is that it's a fantastic DD. Very comfortable, too.

Consumer Reports just gave the Boxster top marks for reliability. I would assume that applies to Cayman too.
Just saw my new to me 2009 S for the first time today. 8,000 miles, Meteor Gray. Pics soon
And you are right how much they hold - mine will hold a full cage, race suspension, 2 halo racing seats, fire suppression, full aero, and other smaller goodies.
I'll start a thread on the build once I recover from the shock of what this is going to cost me!
(sorry about hijacking the DD thread)
Old 11-12-2013, 04:30 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

If you can live with a 2 seater and have no snow in your area, then it is an great daily driver.

If you are not buying new, the look for a DFI Cayman (2009+).
They typically have no problems.
CPO warranty is nice if you can get it.

Comfortable car to live with, easy to park and most important, fun to drive!
PDK is where you want to be if you live in traffic!
Old 11-12-2013, 10:36 AM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 70 Posts

I've been daily driving mine. No problems so far. If you can get a CPO car, I'd recommend it.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:23 PM
rjdoc74
7th Gear

Thank you guys so much for your input!

Finally went over to the website and did a preliminary build of 2014. Little about myself- I don't track, car will mostly be used for commuting and occasional weekend fun, so interior amenities are important since I will be spending lots of time in this car. I have owned many BMWs and their nav system pretty much suck. I did not option this build with nav system for that reason although I am not sure if p car nav is better then BMW's. I also tried not option this car too much. Here it is:

Summary for the Base 2dr Rear-wheel Drive Coupe MSRP1 Invoice2
Base Price $52,600 N/A
Destination $950 $950
Colors
Interior Color N/C N/C
Exterior Color N/C N/C
Options
STDEN Engine: 2.7L H-6 DOHC STD STD
STDTR Tires: P235/45ZR18 Fr & P265/45ZR18 Rr STD STD
PAINT Monotone Paint Application STD STD
STDST Sport Seats STD STD
STDRD Radio: CDR Audio System w/Single CD/MP3 STD STD
250 Transmission: 7-Speed Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) $3,200 N/A
395 Wheels: 8J x 18" Fr & 9J x 18" Rr Boxster $360 N/A
980 Leather Package N/C N/C
PARLTH Partial Leather Seat Trim w/Leather Package $500 N/A
748 Electrically Retractable Exterior Mirrors $320 N/A
XLS Sports Tailpipe $650 N/A
583 Smoking Package N/C N/C
XDM Painted Dashboard Trim Strip N/A N/A
840 SportDesign Steering Wheel $250 N/A
X70 Stainless Steel Door Entry Guards $300 N/A
680 Bose Surround Sound System $1,400 N/A
220 Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) $1,320 N/A
475 Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) $1,790 N/A
498 Deletion Of Model Designation On The Rear N/C N/C
625 Porsche Entry & Drive N/A N/A
XSC Porsche Crest Embossed on Head Restraints $285 N/A
630 Light Design Package $340 N/A
636 Front & Rear ParkAssist $860 N/A
Total Price $65,1253 N/A

Questions:

1.Since I don't track and gas mileage is important, do you guys this I need an S?

2. I like the look of white car with black wheels but I did not see that option on car configurator. Is this after market?

3. Any other must haves I am missing (remember, not tracking just occasional light-to-light racing)?

4. I ruled out 20" wheels but should I consider 19"?

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Cayman S as a daily driver. Am I crazy?