Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin SS Tire Vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 07:12 PM
Machog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin SS Tire Vibration?

Getting ready to put some new rubber on my 2011 Cayman, had decided on Michelin SS's. But was told by one tire vendor that he's had complaints that they vibrate over 70ish and recommends the Porsche N rated PS2's.

Any advice or suggestions welcome. Its a DD car and I live in AZ, so don't need all season, just HP summers. Ride comfort and handling trump out saving a few $$'s or longevity.

Tx Machog
Old 12-27-2013, 07:27 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts

I'm on my second set of MPSS (Cayman R 19s) and have no complaints as far as vibration goes. As long as they're balanced properly shouldn't be a problem. I track regularly on them and like them.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:52 AM
Jim in St.Louis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When having your tires mounted and balanced, be careful to make sure that the mounting goop has dried before driving the car, as the tire may rotate on the rim, causing the tire to not be balanced.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Machog
Getting ready to put some new rubber on my 2011 Cayman, had decided on Michelin SS's. But was told by one tire vendor that he's had complaints that they vibrate over 70ish and recommends the Porsche N rated PS2's.

Any advice or suggestions welcome. Its a DD car and I live in AZ, so don't need all season, just HP summers. Ride comfort and handling trump out saving a few $$'s or longevity.

Tx Machog
My experience is limited to N-rated tires but the only times there has been vibration at any speed was either too much air in the front tires -- I was experimenting with air pressures -- or tire imbalance.

In the case of imbalance, this arose because either the initial balance was not done right or the wheel lost a weight or as the tires wore and got of balance. (The wear removes the heavy sections of the tread.) A rebalance eliminates the vibration.

Jim In St. Louis raises good point about the tires slipping on the wheel. Somwhere in the Porsche factory manual there is a caution about this... let me see if I can find it...

Here:

Use only TIP TOP Universal, order No. 593 0601 (3.5 kg bucket) or Contifix as the mounting paste!

and

When mounting tubeless tyres, check the sealing surface of the tyre and the disc wheel for cleanliness and any signs of damage. Bear in mind here that the bead base performs the sealing function on tubeless tyres. If the bead edge has to perform the sealing function, air can escape when the vehicle is driven aggressively.
When mounting the tyre beads, use only the prescribed tyre mounting pastes. The following can occur if an unsuitable mounting paste is used:
• twisting of the tyre on the rim,
• fracture of the bead core during mounting,
• damage to the rim surface by aggressive substances.
If Contifix is used, apply sparingly to the tyre beads (due to risk of the tyre turning on the wheel). If possible, the vehicle should not be driven for 24 hours after tyre mounting or matching.

As for how a non N-rated tire will work for you and your car I can't say.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:19 PM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Machog
...was told by one tire vendor that he's had complaints that they vibrate over 70ish and recommends the Porsche N rated PS2's.
What possible reason could there be for your tire SALESMAN to recommend a MORE EXPENSIVE tire?
Old 12-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Machog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BB, I deserved that!

But the difference is so little, says if I go with the N rated and they have a vibration problem, bring them back no issues. If go with the non-Porsche approved and have problem I have to suck it up-or take to track days for 3 months until I trash them

Machog
Old 12-28-2013, 10:21 PM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

The difference was a little over $200 when I bought mine. I haven't noticed any vibrations.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:59 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

I replaced PS2s with SS over a year ago with no problems. The SS have seen 70+ frequently.

Quick Reply: Michelin SS Tire Vibration?