Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A thread about resale value for options, HUGE MSRP discount, me going bankrupt!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 09:26 PM
Loaded981S
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A thread about resale value for options, HUGE MSRP discount, me going bankrupt!!!

I just put a deposit on a Brand New LOADED White 2013 Boxster S with Red Top (I may try to get my money back and build a new car from scratch as I'm having second thoughts about the gauges, seatbelts, red leather and top being a very busy colour scheme)

Picked it up for 22,500 under MSRP (I'll get into this in detail in another thread)

1. Which options even if they are the smallest ones do not help the resale value at all?

2. Which options will add value to the selling price of the vehicle in 7-10 years?

I'll list some options you give me your opinion on resale value. We can organize answers by the number.

1. Sport Suspension (I'm interested in just knowing this one, its not on the car)

2. Porsche Torque Vectoring

3. Sport Chrono i.c.w PCM

4. Infotainment with Bose Surround

5. PASM

6. Painted 20 Inch Carrera S Wheels

7. Carbon Fiber Interior

8. Full Leather / Carrera Red

9. Adaptive Sport Seats (18 way power)

10. Porsche Sport Exhaust

11. Exterior Roll Bar Painted to match car (white)

12. Carbon Fiber Multi Function Steering Wheel

13. Dimming Mirrors

14. Light Design Package (I said no mattter how small)

15. Porsche Crest in Headrest

16. Porsche Crest in Armrest

17. Exterior Package Painted (I still have no f**king idea what this means since I haven't seen the car)

18. Door Sill Guards in Carbon

19. Seat Belts in Racing Yellow

20. Gauges in Racing Yellow

21. Chrono Clock in Racing Yellow

22. Premium Package i.c.w Sport Seat Plus

23. Steering Column in Leather

24.Park Assist (front and rear)

25. Electric Folding Mirror

26. Seat Ventillation

27.Wheel Caps Colour Crest

28. Bi-Xenon with PDLS

29. SMOKING PACKAGE (Imagine that a free option from Porsche)

30. 6-speed manual

I was originally looking at a 2013 with 11,500km, but they were asking 79,000 and seemed to not be willing to negotiate so I looked at other dealers and found a car with an incredibly high MSRP, loaded with options and had to jump on it. I paid 87,000 CDN and they threw in free wheel painting and 1/2 front clear bra.

The car was out of my intended budget, but having owned and 996 and 987 in the past you know that it is impossible to keep a level head when the options are on the screen and you begin to check them off like a mad man or woman.

For 8k more than what I was pretty much willing to buy the other car for I was getting a brand new car with everything I wanted plus more. I also got a few useless options I would never have picked.

I THINK I GOT A GREAT DEAL DO YOU ALL THINK SO????

I love the car, but something is tugging at my heart strings. Something is off with the colour combo, not a huge fan of the red top or the yellow inside the interior cabin. The idea that someone else who had a load of money optioned this puppy out to exactly his specs. It bugs me that it wasn't me.

I have to talk to my dealer about cancelling my sale so I can build my own car. My Boxster build came to "about" 93k, but I felt a little short changed in a few higher dollar options. I still want to build build build and am currently 10k over my original price cap on the car that I would end up buying. To hell with that number I'm buying a car I will probably live in one day! LOL (I am kidding)

I optioned my own car to my own specs and only added the options that I thought were
A. Useful to me
B. Would be good for resale (what I thought)
C. Wouldn't break down (I took out the PASM in exchange for SS, took out SC because a lot of people say its a gimmick option, manual seats but considering the 2-way power may be best for resale)

The colours that have my attention are White and Platinum Silver

The interiors are Carrera Red Agate/Amber Orange (2 tone)

Options I chose:
SS, full leather, etx painted rollbar, multi-function steering wheel, manual or 2-way power seats, pse, intainment Bose surround, convenience, Park Assist (rear) 20 inch Carrera S, Seat Ventillation, Painted Platinum Wheels, Smokers Package FREE, Maybe carbon or aluminum interior stuff.

EXTENDED WARRANTY
CLEAR BRA (PROTEX)

SHOULD I BUILD OR DID I GET THAT GREAT A DEAL??

I have been trying all day to reach my salesman. It's funny the days leading up to the sale he would call me back right away, sometimes too much. Now he doesn't return my call and I can imagine it has everything to do with me saying don't paint the wheels or ad the clear bra because I have something important to talk about.. If I decide to push through on the build I hope they don't try to pull my deposit. Then I can consider my options with a clear head.

Two of the photos are stock photos.

I'm bouncing between Platinum, High Gloss Black or Stock. I had another thread and everyone likes the stockers.. If you have another opinion I'd love to hear it.
Attached Images      
Old 02-24-2014, 09:44 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote: I THINK I GOT A GREAT DEAL DO YOU ALL THINK SO???? What does it matter what anyone else thinks if this is really true? You are not buying a T Rowe Price product, it's a toy, as such which add ons are the most imperative are subjective. Do you like it? Are you excited to drive it and take it to all the special places you dream of in your head? Ask yourself those questions. As for the salesman, if he thinks you are on the fence about staying in the deal he's going to be a bit less available, human nature.

PS For what it's worth, I enjoy options that enhance the drive experience, sport seats, sport suspension and even though it doesn't add performance I like PSE.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:48 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

That is a stunning and classy combo but the gauges and belts do seem out of place. It just doesn't make sense. Is this a custom order that someone backed out on?

There is one thing that didn't make sense in that option list, typically PASM and Sport Suspension are not coexisting.

As far as what adds value, that is a very difficult. It all depends on what the next owner values and if they like the overall combo enough to pay a premium. I owned a highly optioned 928 which brought a nice premium but it took 6 months to sell. It would be different if we were talking about a GT3 RS since it is purpose built and lightweight options would generally bring a premium.

As far as the deposit, a dealer would be foolish to retain your deposit if you still intend to do business with them. You should be free to choose a custom order if you want.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:02 PM
Loaded981S
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
That is a stunning and classy combo but the gauges and belts do seem out of place. It just doesn't make sense. Is this a custom order that someone backed out on?

I completely agree with you on this one. It's one of the problems I have with the car and obviously changing it all back to black stuff is out of the question due to enormous cost. I could trade seat belts with someone that has black I guess. I with it had deviated carpet to break up the overkill with the red, but I'm going to get a pair of black porsche mats to add some more black and soften the red. The car is also maxed out in carbon fiber, including the sills with breaks it up nicely with a cool accent.

As for the person that originally purchased the car. I can only say what the dealer told me. They said a guy placed a deposit from Canada, built the car, had it set for European delivery (whatever the heck that means) and for some reason the deal fell through. They said he was given back his deposit when the car was sold to me. I actually asked them today if they would give me back my deposit and he said yes with no questions asked.

He then asked why I wanted to do that and I told him I may want to spec my own car. I also mentioned I really wanted Platinum Silver which he told me isn't available anymore. He said he could give me 4% off MSRP no questions asked, but clearly told me that in the 3 years he'd worked at Prestige Porsche in Montreal that he'd never seen as big a discount and it was only because of the situation with the delivery and some of the funky colour schemes. He said I'd be foolish not keeping the original car. He mentioned that in the first year of ownership a well kept Boxster wouldn't lose that much in depreciation. He had me at hello... I am keeping the originally car pictured on the thread.

Did I mention the car is brand new and the warranty hasn't started yet?

There is one thing that didn't make sense in that option list, typically PASM and Sport Suspension are not coexisting.

I wrote down Sport Suspension to ask specifically about the added resale value. I would've preferred the SS just because it sits lower and is firmer (I think). I am also going to keep my car way beyond the extended warranty and I'm a firm believer that too much electronics is a huge risk for things going wrong and huge repair bills.

As far as the deposit, a dealer would be foolish to retain your deposit if you still intend to do business with them. You should be free to choose a custom order if you want.
Can anybody find a White Boxster S with Carrera Red Interior and a Red Top with Black Carrera S rims?? If you could help me out because I've looked high and low and can only find Platinum with my cars colour combo.

Much Appreciated
Old 02-24-2014, 11:05 PM
Loaded981S
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

I completely agree with you on this one. It's one of the problems I have with the car and obviously changing it all back to black stuff is out of the question due to enormous cost. I could trade seat belts with someone that has black I guess. I with it had deviated carpet to break up the overkill with the red, but I'm going to get a pair of black porsche mats to add some more black and soften the red. The car is also maxed out in carbon fiber, including the sills with breaks it up nicely with a cool accent.

As for the person that originally purchased the car. I can only say what the dealer told me. They said a guy placed a deposit from Canada, built the car, had it set for European delivery (whatever the heck that means) and for some reason the deal fell through. They said he was given back his deposit when the car was sold to me. I actually asked them today if they would give me back my deposit and he said yes with no questions asked.

He then asked why I wanted to do that and I told him I may want to spec my own car. I also mentioned I really wanted Platinum Silver which he told me isn't available anymore. He said he could give me 4% off MSRP no questions asked, but clearly told me that in the 3 years he'd worked at Prestige Porsche in Montreal that he'd never seen as big a discount and it was only because of the situation with the delivery and some of the funky colour schemes. He said I'd be foolish not keeping the original car. He mentioned that in the first year of ownership a well kept Boxster wouldn't lose that much in depreciation. He had me at hello... I am keeping the originally car pictured on the thread.

Did I mention the car is brand new and the warranty hasn't started yet?

I wrote down Sport Suspension to ask specifically about the added resale value. I would've preferred the SS just because it sits lower and is firmer (I think). I am also going to keep my car way beyond the extended warranty and I'm a firm believer that too much electronics is a huge risk for things going wrong and huge repair bills.

Last edited by Loaded981S; 02-24-2014 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Because I don't how to post like a normal person
Old 02-24-2014, 11:14 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Loaded981S:

1) I like it! It will be the only one in the continent (perhaps the world?) with this color & options combination. Being unique has its merit. There is nothing wrong with the white/'carrera red' bits. I positively love the 'red' top! That is 100% acceptable & popular! Don't be put off by the 'Racing Yellow' instrument faces! Ferrari does that...and people love it! The yellow seat belts....who cares! That you could always change later if you can't stand it. I would leave them on just as they are!

2) We get pretty good car discounts in the US, but I believe its rather less common in the 'Great White North'. So you probably have done quite well with what you negotiated. I say go with it and enjoy the notoriety of being the owner of this unique and beautiful 981 Boxster!

3) Resale: You will eventually find someone that wants something unusual. Don't worry about that. The specs on this 981 'rocks'! Don't worry about the desirability of the individual options. This is a package deal. And the package is pretty damn nice. And pretty desirable I would think...and you are getting a great reduction in price because of it's a 'left-over' MY2013!

4) Wheels Suggestion: Paint the wheels 'black' with a polished alloy in outer rim, like the Porsche factory wheel option. Don't let them paint the whole wheel 'black'. The blackness of the tire will overwhelm the black and the entire wheel/tire will visually disappear from view! That is why the factory does the outer circumference in a polish metal to give definition.

My dos centavos...for what it's worth.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images   
Old 02-24-2014, 11:31 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I agree with Eduardo on the wheel color choice, Black would definitely set off the white/red combo very nicely. Or just leave it the way it is.

Looking forward to seeing some higher resolution pictures when you get her!
Old 02-25-2014, 12:06 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Loaded981S
As for the person that originally purchased the car. I can only say what the dealer told me. They said a guy placed a deposit from Canada, built the car, had it set for European delivery (whatever the heck that means) and for some reason the deal fell through. They said he was given back his deposit when the car was sold to me.
I have now one other question for you. Why are some of these photos showing 'date palm trees' and 'saharan deserts'? Did someone take a detour to 'Casablanca' in Morocco after picking up the car in Zuffenhausen? From a quick scan, these two cars don't seem to be Canadian or American-specs cars - albeit they have same outside color scheme as yours. Look at the rear license plates & clear side markers. Why did your dealer send you these two photos when they are not actually of your Canadian-spec car? What are the actual miles showing on this car's odo? Inquiring minds want to know.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images   
Old 02-25-2014, 01:03 AM
Loaded981S
Intermediate

I said in the original post (second line from the bottom) that two of the pictures are ones I pulled off of the internet. The dealer sent me 4 pictures of my car. I haven't seen it yet, but it's at the dealership. I just wanted to show a good shot of the car so you could give me your colour choices on the wheels. (which I really don't have except the front end one from the dealer)

Although in my 99 996 C2 Cab I drove from LA to Las Vegas then all the way to Toronto. Stayed in Toronto for three weeks then drove across the prairies until Vancouver. Stayed in Vancouver for 2 weeks with my brother and finally back to LA. Best trip of my entire life and several days of that were spend sleeping in a truck stop overnight in my car... God I loved that car..

As for the mileage I have no idea I haven't asked. This all happened very quickly, impulsively actually. He's supposed to call tomorrow I will keep you updated as the what happens. But please any people come forward with wheel opinions. Platinum, Black (without the shined lip because I hate the look of it) and stock are the choices. I love to stand out want it to still look classy, not overpower the car and be easy to clean.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:07 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts

Nice and unique car. I think the gauges work ok. When first reading the description I didn't think so but seeing them it looks ok. Not so sure about the belts but you can change those. Agree get a set of black mats, swap them every now and then for a different look. If it were me I'd leave the wheels stock. A bit understated on a car that already has a lot of presence. PASM, SC, PSE, 6 speed will make for a great driver. Easy for me to say but- don't worry about resale- keep it a long time and drive the heck out of it. Just 2c worth.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:14 AM
BostonDuce
Racer

Not impossible to switch out the gauge dials-if you can stomach the price.

Most of those extra bits that you win in this deal would co$t you 3X to retrofit.

Buy it and enjoy the fact the you're "done" with upgrades.
BD
Old 02-25-2014, 10:27 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,391 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Great color combo.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:45 AM
Clocked
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a car that Ronald McDonald may like. Saw similar color combination in a Ferrari. People did speculate that an owner of a McDonalds franchise bought it.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:48 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,391 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Clocked
Looks like a car that Ronald McDonald may like. Saw similar color combination in a Ferrari. People did speculate that an owner of a McDonalds franchise bought it.
And you were working on this material as your first post?
Old 02-25-2014, 10:52 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Clocked
well said .although that color combo would keep me from eating.....anything....it is unappetizing .what were they thinking

Quick Reply: A thread about resale value for options, HUGE MSRP discount, me going bankrupt!!!