Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got used Cayman, replace bumpers to fix scrapes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 12:03 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Got used Cayman, replace bumpers to fix scrapes?

Hi everyone,

I purchased a 2014 Cayman S Agent Gray, awesome car and looks beautiful, however, the previous owner has scrapped up the bottom of the front and back bumpers something fierce in just 10,000 miles. You can't see the damage from above, unless you are looking for it. but it drives me nuts. To repair fully, the dealer/body shop is saying they can repaint the bumpers.

my options are, leave it as it is and deal with it. repair/repaint in place, or the one i am leaning towards is buying the "Sport Design Package" which would effectively upgrade the car to the GTS look. i like that look a little better, and i figure if they have to repaint everything anyway, why not just do it to fresh bumpers. I know all this stuff is plastic, so it doesn't much matter in the long run, but my question is this. How much should one avoid ever repainting anything on a Porsche? Can the dealer/body shop do as good of a job as Porsche did on the plastic parts? will it look right? or am I about to make everything much worse?

I don't care about the $$$ and I'm not concerned about the resale value.

Thank you in advance for your advice on the matter. i can't see much evidence on the Internet of anyone ever getting the Sport Design package, so it either never happens, or at least mine would be a little more rare looking. Pic attached.
Attached Images  
Old 07-13-2016, 12:27 AM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Painting plastic bumper is perfectly fine, doesn't hurt resale value, as long as you are painting plastics only. A paint meter only measures paint on metal body panels. NEVER paint metal body panels, that will hurt resale, because that is easily detected on a paint meter, or any trained eye. I am sure a dealer referred body shop is competent. I would not go with a bumper guy who works out of a mobile van, and I seriously doubt that a Porsche dealer uses a bumper van guy anyways.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:32 AM
Racer

How about your thoughts on repairing scrapes vs just swaping the bumpers out? In this case the bodyshop is part of the dealership and i'm pretty sure they are good, they work on the Ferrari's in town as well.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:09 AM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

repaint + clear film
Old 07-13-2016, 01:46 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

You don't describe or show how bad the scrapes are, so this advice may not suit you, but I would wait until there is a really noticeable scuff or scrape on the upper part of the bumper cover to have it repainted.
That's just me.

Also I don't think it devalues a car to have body damage repaired and repainted. The devaluation, if any, occurred when the damage occurred, and taking care of the damage is the obvious logical thing to do. Certainly when you go to sell the car in the future, you wouldn't present the car with a damaged bumper/fender/door, etc. and expect the buyer to accept that.
I do think that all body damage and repair should be documented to show the extent and cause of the damage and the shop that did the repair.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:11 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

I'd leave it be. But I like to drive cars, not look at them.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:20 AM
Georound
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I vote Sport Design/Aero kit. If money isn't really an issue go with something that stands out. Sun coast seems to be a good option and they quote with 3rd center radiator at 3300 plus paint. If you don't intend to sell anytime soon, go with a fresh look.....you'll enjoy it every time you look at your car! You could sell your serviceable bumper covers to recoup some cost.

Do the GT4 covers mount right up?
Old 07-13-2016, 09:09 AM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 299 Posts

I was in a similar situation.
I was initially upset.
After driving the car, I eventually became less disturb about the abrasions.
Since it is not visible unless you crawl under the car, my suggestion is start driving.
You do not see these daily like a door ding on the side.
After a month or so if it still bothers you, then fix it.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:14 AM
Racer

I've decided to go ahead and have the new kit installed, it includes a third radiator, which I have read will help the car run cooler, and that can't hurt. I'll post pics when finished.

Quick Reply: Got used Cayman, replace bumpers to fix scrapes?