Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Midwesterners should I get snow tires for this winter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 11:55 PM
Portiagl
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midwesterners should I get snow tires for this winter?

Hellooooo guys, after 4 mo. of researching I finally picked up my first P-car, which happened to be a 981 Cayman. Flew down to FL and had a 13 hour drive on the first day. Turned out it was a successful test drive

Anyhoooo, the car still has factory-equipped 19" Goodyear performance summers that need to be replaced. Well, just in time for winterization..? I recently moved to Ohio valley area (Southern Indiana) and from what I hear, we get maybe 4-5 times snow a year, anywhere from light to moderate. The weather forecast says it's gonna be a long, snowy winter compared to last year.

I feel like 4-5x snow is like.. a joke, but I've never owned a RWD and don't know what to expect. This is going to be my DD. But I only live about 8 minutes away from my work..

Found a lightly used Michelin Alp set for the total cost of $900 (incl. installation and shipping). Should I go ahead and get the snows or just replace them with summer performance tires? I don't know if this matters, but my car will also be parked outside through the winter........
Old 10-13-2016, 08:29 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Get the snows.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:48 AM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

+1 and get a set of rims for the snow tires.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:17 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Without question get the snows, you won't move 2FT with the winter tires as soon as the snow accumulates. You might consider getting a cheaper wheel set for the winter and switch back to summer tires for the summer.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:58 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with the others, get the snows and rims. Performance tires suck in the cold weather. You'll be thankful once the temp drops.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:15 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

Ditto above...

Good summer tires turn hard as hockey pucks below about 40 F and will get scary fast (read: no grip). A set of proper performance winter tires is the ticket. Having them each on their own set of wheels makes for any easy and quick change-over at the right time in the season.

Porsches with good winter tires can make surprisingly good year-round cars, even here in the Midwest snow belt. Deep snow (door sill level) is kinda the limit, but otherwise pretty impressive.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:43 AM
ClintonM3
Racer

I used to have Blizzaks on a E36 BMW M3, and I drove it daily in the winter. I live in Westchester Co. NY, we have hills and terrain, we have "old world" parkways, where large plows don't come through. I have never gotten stuck or spun in the snow. I have driven that M3 in moderate snow storms, like about 3 inches of accumulations.

In the long run, you are better off buy a second set of rims, and have the snow tires mounted on them. I used to swap the wheels myself, usually in November and in March.

Do not forget about TPM sensors.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:31 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

If you get a second set of wheels and you decide to swap wheels yourself don't forget the torque wrench and make sure to retorque after a few miles around the block at slow speeds.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:31 PM
Portiagl
5th Gear

Thanks for tips and suggestions! Shall the search begin for a wheel+winter tire set. Anyone selling 19"? ��
Old 10-13-2016, 02:36 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Portiagl
Thanks for tips and suggestions! Shall the search begin for a wheel+winter tire set. Anyone selling 19"? ��
If the 981 can take 18" wheels go for that, taller sidewalls/less tire width is better for snow tires.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:11 PM
Portiagl
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Arominus
If the 981 can take 18" wheels go for that, taller sidewalls/less tire width is better for snow tires.
Nice! that will definitely broaden my selection.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:09 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Just to be clear. You should get winter tires designed for snow and ice conditions. Do NOT get "all season" tires. The winter tires use a special compound and it makes a big, big difference.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (12-29-2020)
Old 10-14-2016, 10:18 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

Agree all the above. You'll note the owners manual may actually spec a slightly narrower rear tire profile for winter. May be to allow clearance for chains. Check for your year.

Also note that Winter Tires are kinda seasonal items... manufacturers seem to make the batch they expect to sell for that season and that's it. At least, that's been my experience, particularly with the more limited choices of performance winter tires in specific staggered sizes. Even more so when you narrow the field to N-spec Porsche designated tires (never a bad choice, in my opinion).

What this all means is, you get more choices early in the season and that window seems to close quickly as the favorite picks sell out. Just my experience, your mileage may vary.

Good Luck!

Dave in Chicago
'05 987S Arctic Silver / Sea Blue
'92 968 Midnight Blue, SP3
Old 10-14-2016, 10:58 AM
johnnymiz
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Follow Arominus' advice. get the smallest wheel you can. in addition to giving a skinnier patch, the taller sidewall will save the wheels.
I live on long island and I run 18" winters on my 08 boxster with no problems. my summer tires get 'greasy' below 45* and useless in any snow at all. all seasons for your car are a joke in indiana...very thin tread depth compared to all seasons for say, a camry.
florida is great for 20" wheels and tiny sidewalls. NY (and Indiana) will have winter potholes that could swallow a smart car. hit one of them at speed with 20"s and you will blow the tire and ruin the rim. 18"s will give you some margin of protection... and be cheaper overall, too.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:58 AM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

no.

get a beater to drive in the winter.

Quick Reply: Midwesterners should I get snow tires for this winter?