Notices
DIY - 991 DIY info for the 991

991 DIY Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2023, 02:42 PM
ZUFNHZN
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Performed my own oil change yesterday on a friends 2 Post lift.
Super easy. Let it drain thoroughly and put about 7 quarts back in before starting the little by little process of getting it to the top line of a perfect fill.
used a New filter (Mahle) from the dealer along with new O-ring and crush washer.
filled with LiquiMoly 5/40 and feeling good about things for the off season.
Really appreciate all the info in this thread.
Old 10-14-2023, 04:57 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

I just did an oil and oil filter change two days ago prior to a thorough wash for winter lay-away. This car has seen its fair share of oil changes; at least 8 so far in its 7083 miles on the odometer with 6 of them by me since I bought the 2015 911 Carrera 4 GTS in 2018.

And I remember reading a post or two where owners had oil leaking all over the engine after an oil change. Maybe they forgot to install the large green O-ring. Looking at my oil filter cover, I noted two grooves that might take the large green O-ring if you hold the cover just right. We all know that the O-ring belongs in the top groove, but I guess anything is possible if someone is in a rush or not very mechanically inclined. Also note that without coating the O-ring with oil, fully screwing down the oil filter cover might seem difficult to some and maybe it is not all the way fully seated. The O-ring creates the seal, not the 25 Nm or 18.4 lbf.ft. torque on the cover should you think to over-tighten it.

Looking at this pic, it appears as if there are two grooves in the oil filter cover...except when looking at the second photo, it'll be apparent there is only one groove, the top one.

The lower groove is where the threads to the oil filter cover end. Exactly why I cannot see inserting the O-ring into the lower groove happening. But you know how it is, anything is possible.

Even mechanics can screw up as they installed an oil filter cover in an aircraft and in the process the O-ring fell out at the club I instructed at. Needless to say, the pilot was not the most clued in to even notice it till his oil pressure dropped mid-air. Anytime you do anything with an oil seal or fitting, you always run it up to check for leaks. It ain't rocket science.
The following users liked this post:
Watson (10-15-2023)
Old 10-16-2023, 07:01 PM
The Roon
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I just did my first oil change yesterday on my recently purchased 2012 CS, it was not difficult at all. However, I didn't take the time to notice the second groove, then again I knew where it had to go being I had other vehicles with the similar style oil filter housing...but I can see how someone doing this for the first time could get a little confused.
Good job on pointing that out, I'm sure someone will be very very glad you did!

I do have a question regarding something else I noticed in the engine bay, there's a green cap on the left (driver's side) side, does anyone know what that's for? PDK oil fill?

Sorry pic is a little giant!
Old 10-17-2023, 10:44 AM
aft86
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by The Roon
I just did my first oil change yesterday on my recently purchased 2012 CS, it was not difficult at all. However, I didn't take the time to notice the second groove, then again I knew where it had to go being I had other vehicles with the similar style oil filter housing...but I can see how someone doing this for the first time could get a little confused.
Good job on pointing that out, I'm sure someone will be very very glad you did!

I do have a question regarding something else I noticed in the engine bay, there's a green cap on the left (driver's side) side, does anyone know what that's for? PDK oil fill?

That's the PDCC Reservoir. Although, it should be changed at 60k miles, 120k, etc. I have been told that people do not change it until there are any issues with the system because it is a PITA to change.
Old 10-17-2023, 11:12 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

PDCC reservoir meant to take PENTOSIN CHF 202 fluid. Check the owner's manual as to how to check the level.
Old 10-18-2023, 08:22 PM
The Roon
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the info...Problem is, I don't have an Owner's Manual, still waiting for it to come in from the dealer (it's only been 5months!)

So how difficult is it to change the fluid?
Scale:
1 = Easy
10 = Very difficult

Or is it easy, but difficult to get to like say the Air Filters?
Old 10-19-2023, 04:28 PM
DR911s
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Thank you for the info...Problem is, I don't have an Owner's Manual, still waiting for it to come in from the dealer (it's only been 5months!)

Scale:
1 = Easy
10 = Very difficult

Quite easy = 1 [or maybe 2] because of what you have to remove to access the oil filter. The fans and their housing can be removed enough out of the way that you don't need to use any prying tools or disconnect the electrical connectors. I used 6" ramps to support the back wheels of my car for easier access to the drain plug. I used empty 5 qt oil jugs to measure the amount of oil that I drained so that I would know how much new oil to put in. You don't want to over fill the oil, and if you do, it's more and messy work to remove the excess.
Old 10-20-2023, 02:23 PM
edsonreds
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Scale:
1 = Easy
10 = Very difficult

Changing the fluid by itlself is pretty easy. But you have to have the proper tools. If you have done it before to any other car, things are not that different. If never done this before, I would suggest doing only things that you feel comfortable. I have changed engine oil, motor mounts, spark plugs, even window actuators and refilled coolant.... and all the tasks are pretty easy provided you have owners manual and proper tools. Comfortability is gained through repetition.

About difficulty score... I would give it a 1.... but having done lots of things before. I judge that for instance my wife who has never changed (and not willing to and need not to) a spare tyre, changing oil would be a 11.
Old 10-20-2023, 07:32 PM
The Roon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DR911s
Quite easy = 1 [or maybe 2] because of what you have to remove to access the oil filter. The fans and their housing can be removed enough out of the way that you don't need to use any prying tools or disconnect the electrical connectors. I used 6" ramps to support the back wheels of my car for easier access to the drain plug. I used empty 5 qt oil jugs to measure the amount of oil that I drained so that I would know how much new oil to put in. You don't want to over fill the oil, and if you do, it's more and messy work to remove the excess.
Thank you DR911s!
Of course now I have more questions...
Is the drain plug easy to identify?
Does it need a crush washer like the engine oil drain plug?
Do you know the torque value of the plug?

And you are talking about the PDCC fluid change correct?
I just noticed my post could easily be taken for a motor oil change, and not the PDCC...Green Cap.
Old 03-05-2024, 05:56 PM
DR911s
Racer

To "The Roon": I saw your reply and question for the first time today -- because I am about to do another oil and filter change on my own car which is a 2017 C2S.

I believe that the 991.1 Carrera engines [normally aspirated 3.4L and 3.8L] have a metal drain plug and metal sump [oil pan], and at least a new crush washer should be used at each oil change.

In contrast, the 991.2 Carrera engines are 3L twin turbocharged and they are equipped with a plastic sump and plastic drain plug that should be replaced with a new plug at each oil change. The new plug comes with the correct O-ring installed. There is no torque value, it's simply twist [screw] into place because the seal is determined by the difference in diameter between the cylindrical opening in the plastic sump cover and the cylindrical portion of the plug. You can use an ordinary screwdriver or the molded plastic tool [available from FCP Euro and others] to remove and install the plug. Just don't apply excessive torque when installing it. On my car which until last year was always serviced by the selling Porsche dealership, the level of twisting force is very low. You should feel a little detent being passed as the plug becomes fully seated, and there are position markings molded into the plastic sump cover to help you confirm that the plug is fully seated.
Old 03-06-2024, 09:23 PM
The Roon
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the reply DR911s, but I was talking about doing the PDCC.
However, I did change my oil already and installed a magnetic drain plug. Oil change was very straight forward and definitely a 1 on the scale of difficulty...1 being the easiest.
I'll be doing my spark plugs/coils this weekend as well as the air filters, and if time allows, I'll install a rear camera (JoyAuto) since I have it. Although now I don't think I really need a reverse camera, oh well.
Thanks again for your advice!
Old 03-12-2024, 03:15 PM
DR911s
Racer

Sorry! I missed that important distinction!
Old 03-19-2024, 08:26 AM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Completed my first oil change on the 991. A few more steps than my old 996 but still pretty straightforward. Thanks to all the thread contributors!

Quick Reply: 991 DIY Oil Change