Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 07:57 AM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 692 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Stick with it, every maker screws up every now and then. Porsche got caught on this one and did right, 10 year engine warranty. Would I hold on to the car without a fix or a 991.2 GT3 engine in it past 2025.....
Pretty simple to pull the valve covers and see if there's wear, but many dealers don't do it... Push for it
Is the solid lifter retrofit project off the table and now we’re just going with .2 engines? I’m not opposed to the idea but was just curious.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:17 AM
Motors
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey All,

I have a 2014 about 25,000 miles and just got green light for engine replacement. Anything I should make sure to ask dealer for during the process? Some people get cars CPOd after replacement? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:48 PM
rsbenfield
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Just had engine replaced in my 2015...ask them to check/replace pressure plate if needed.

Is CPO really needed if motor is covered until 2024?
Old 05-28-2020, 02:20 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by rsbenfield
Just had engine replaced in my 2015...ask them to check/replace pressure plate if needed.

Is CPO really needed if motor is covered until 2024?
This extended warranty only covers the engine, and then only the internals. So CPO takes care of the PDK and all sorts of other things. BTW, how does she run with the new engine?
Old 05-28-2020, 02:38 PM
rsbenfield
Advanced

Originally Posted by robmypro
This extended warranty only covers the engine, and then only the internals. So CPO takes care of the PDK and all sorts of other things. BTW, how does she run with the new engine?
Runs great, no issues other than a little occasional smoke when starting off at low RPM, when in PDK mode no smoke at all....appears to be running a little rich.

Just changed oil after 1K miles and ready to get her back on track!

Thanks for asking...
The following users liked this post:
robmypro (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 08:33 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Runs great, no issues other than a little occasional smoke when starting off at low RPM, when in PDK mode no smoke at all....appears to be running a little rich.

Just changed oil after 1K miles and ready to get her back on track!

Thanks for asking...
Have fun!
Old 05-29-2020, 12:29 PM
Motors
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks! I’ll email them now about pressure plate. Anything else I should ask during this process? Thanks in advance!

Old 05-29-2020, 02:57 PM
rsbenfield
Advanced

Not really. I would definitely take pictures, if possible, to document the process for your own safekeeping and if you ever sell the car.

I would also confirm/document the serial number of the new engine, should start with G##### just to confirm your replacement motor is the "fixed" version.

I attached pic of mine

Last edited by rsbenfield; 05-29-2020 at 02:59 PM. Reason: edit message
Old 06-09-2020, 09:49 PM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Engine replaced

Hey,

Just wanted to chime in. I’ve got a 2014 with 24k on an E motor that was fixed by Porsche before shipped to US.

Car has been tracked a few times by previous owner, no issues were reported to my knowledge. Car serviced at same dealership since new.

After I purchased the car, started getting cold start faults pretty consistently.

Initially, dealer said faults were related to not being driven enough. Cleared the fault and sent me back out. Fault returned.

Dealer then said fault related to low battery. Replaced. Fault returned.

Dealer then said fault related to spark plugs. Plugs were new, but they replaced anyway. Fault returned.

Dealer replaced coils. Fault still there. Dealer replaced injectors. Fault still there.

Dealer then got a secondary air fault. Checked all lines and ended up cleaning carbon deposits. Said with 100% issue was fixed. Fault returned next morning...

Dealer dropped the motor at my request and found “unusual wear on cylinder 6”. Engine is being replaced.

Engine coming from Ontario California. It’s the G.2 motor. And it’s a remanufactured motor. Said these engines have been pretty trouble free. Fingers crossed.

Dealer expect to have car back to me end of next week.

I never experienced a fault while driving, hitting redline, or while car was warm. Mine always threw a fault during cold start.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:06 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Why a remanufactured unit and not a new one?
Old 06-10-2020, 03:52 PM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

Porsche said all G6 motors being used for replacements are remanufactured motors. I would not be surprised if most of the motors used for replacements (F - G6) were likely remanufactured motors and not "brand new". Looking at the crated motor, I can see why people would assume these are "brand new".
Old 06-10-2020, 03:52 PM
rsbenfield
Advanced

Originally Posted by Just in time
Why a remanufactured unit and not a new one?
Well...good question! I was told this is 'what you get and don't pitch a fit'...everything is new except core/block, so essentially a new motor.

Dealership also said cost for re-manufactured vs. new is significant....~$50K vs. ~$90K ....not sure why?!?

I'm sure if you wanted new, you could get one if you picked up the cost difference.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:25 PM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

Well...good question! I was told this is 'what you get and don't pitch a fit'...everything is new except core/block, so essentially a new motor.

Dealership also said cost for re-manufactured vs. new is significant....~$50K vs. ~$90K ....not sure why?!?

I'm sure if you wanted new, you could get one if you picked up the cost difference.

I received the same explanation. My dealer called it "remanufactured" - which may just be their terminology.
Old 06-13-2020, 04:52 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I find it a lame answer. If the donor core was damaged by metal bits and pieces floating around then the “remanufactured”unit may turn out to be a piece of sk..t. I would have to guess that as warrantor of the unit Porsche reserved the right to replace a part with a refurnished one. Very common in the insurance of used cars. Could be a ticket to a third engine.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:33 PM
rsbenfield
Advanced

Originally Posted by Just in time
I find it a lame answer. If the donor core was damaged by metal bits and pieces floating around then the “remanufactured”unit may turn out to be a piece of sk..t. I would have to guess that as warrantor of the unit Porsche reserved the right to replace a part with a refurnished one. Very common in the insurance of used cars. Could be a ticket to a third engine.
I'm sure if the donor core was damaged, Porsche would not reuse....they would not be in business very long if this was the case.
The following users liked this post:
robmypro (06-15-2020)

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement