Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 01:09 PM
Rhdjon
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Bama. I believe G6 is the new engine replacement. The “G is no longer being replaced into .1s
Old 12-10-2021, 06:36 AM
Rhdjon
Rennlist Member

Took the car out this morning to go to wrk drove it a few miles came to a stop at a light and got this message. Just randomly came on at a stop light. I shut the car off and turned it back on and message was gone. I’ll drive the car later when i get out of work and see if it comes on either way I’ll be calling the dealer to set up an appointment. I was actually supposed to take the car to the dealer yesterday due to low oil light even though they did an oil change about 3 weeks ago.

The following users liked this post:
DSC48 (12-10-2021)
Old 12-22-2021, 10:40 PM
Sonder
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

991.1 GT3 with one of the buyback titles. I believe it's the original motor but haven't proved that.

Had a CEL come on after I warm started the car while running errands around town. Drove the car the few couple of miles to the dealership. The car was in limp mode and had reduced power, not that I asked much of it. Heard a horrible rattling noise at idle that increased in frequency linearly with engine RPM, particularly noticeable when starting off from a stop. I also felt an uneven idle. Diagnostics should be done next week due to the holidays.
Old 12-22-2021, 11:28 PM
Rhdjon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sonder

991.1 GT3 with one of the buyback titles. I believe it's the original motor but haven't proved that.

Had a CEL come on after I warm started the car while running errands around town. Drove the car the few couple of miles to the dealership. The car was in limp mode and had reduced power, not that I asked much of it. Heard a horrible rattling noise at idle that increased in frequency linearly with engine RPM, particularly noticeable when starting off from a stop. I also felt an uneven idle. Diagnostics should be done next week due to the holidays.
Fingers Crossed. Good luck.
Sonder (12-22-2021)
Old 12-22-2021, 11:31 PM
Sonder
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rhdjon
Fingers Crossed. Good luck.
How's yours going?
Old 12-22-2021, 11:44 PM
Rhdjon
Rennlist Member

How's yours going?
Still going, driving as much as i can. But at this point this week I’m putting it away till March/April 2022
Old 01-20-2022, 08:30 PM
TPG
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

And she’s home. Dropped off on 12/7 picked up today.
Did have a couple delays. The first tech working on it got hurt. The second tech working on it got COVID, so the shop foreman finished the job. But the car is back! I was not given a break in procedure and was also told no need for an oil change after 500miles. I think I’ll do my standard break in (varying rpm’s, heat cycles, etc) and then do an oil change in 500miles.

Old 01-20-2022, 09:46 PM
Rhdjon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TPG
And she’s home. Dropped off on 12/7 picked up today.
Did have a couple delays. The first tech working on it got hurt. The second tech working on it got COVID, so the shop foreman finished the job. But the car is back! I was not given a break in procedure and was also told no need for an oil change after 500miles. I think I’ll do my standard break in (varying rpm’s, heat cycles, etc) and then do an oil change in 500miles.

sweet enjoy
Old 02-16-2022, 12:43 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps this has been covered in other threads, but we are only 2-3 years from the end of the engine warranties and I have to consider the risk of buying a 991.1 GT3. I have been shopping around a bit and this thread came up in my research. There are a lot of nice, low mileage cars out there, but I don’t think I would take the risk of buying one with only a couple of years left on the engine warranty.
Old 02-17-2022, 04:38 AM
AceVentura
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkPcar
Perhaps this has been covered in other threads, but we are only 2-3 years from the end of the engine warranties and I have to consider the risk of buying a 991.1 GT3. I have been shopping around a bit and this thread came up in my research. There are a lot of nice, low mileage cars out there, but I don’t think I would take the risk of buying one with only a couple of years left on the engine warranty.
I had similar concerns and subsequently purchased a car that already has a G6 replacement engine to mitigate the risks.
MarkPcar (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 08:59 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,882 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkPcar
People need to drive these cars so that the dud engines blow up and get replaced under warranty. I wouldn’t buy one that has the original engine and very low miles. My car is on its third engine, with the first engine lasting about 30k miles and the second engine lasting only about 8k miles.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
MarkPcar (02-17-2022), mattw1093 (04-06-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 10:21 AM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 692 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
and the second engine lasting only about 8k miles.
* but the second engine was an anomaly issue. Not the finger follower problem.

Not saying it wasn't a problem nor an inconvenience for you. But the systemic finger follower issue hasn't been reported on here with any G6 engine.

But yes, otherwise I agree. No rewards for low miles at this juncture.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:52 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,882 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Originally Posted by itrsteve
* but the second engine was an anomaly issue. Not the finger follower problem.

Not saying it wasn't a problem nor an inconvenience for you. But the systemic finger follower issue hasn't been reported on here with any G6 engine.

But yes, otherwise I agree. No rewards for low miles at this juncture.
I never saw the engine myself, and I don't consider the diagnosis the dealer conveyed to me as being reliable. What I know is that an engine failed with only 8k miles on it, most of which were easy road miles. I assume the failure is related to the general problems with these engines.
Old 03-07-2022, 05:09 PM
Sonder
Intermediate

Posting an update. The issue in December was attributed to a bad coil. They replaced the bad coil under CPO warranty and I paid out of pocket for the other five coils since they were already in there. I got the car back and continued driving it. It seemed like it was the coil as everything returned to normal for a couple months (plenty of stress on the motor between then and now).

This past Friday, I was in 4th at 8,700 RPM roughly when the car lurched and a CEL came on. The code said cylinder #5 misfired. After diagnostics (i.e., moving the coil and plug to a different cylinder), the misfire was still on #5. The new motor is on the way.
Old 03-07-2022, 06:15 PM
Rhdjon
Rennlist Member

Posting an update. The issue in December was attributed to a bad coil. They replaced the bad coil under CPO warranty and I paid out of pocket for the other five coils since they were already in there. I got the car back and continued driving it. It seemed like it was the coil as everything returned to normal for a couple months (plenty of stress on the motor between then and now).

This past Friday, I was in 4th at 8,700 RPM roughly when the car lurched and a CEL came on. The code said cylinder #5 misfired. After diagnostics (i.e., moving the coil and plug to a different cylinder), the misfire was still on #5. The new motor is on the way.
great news man. How many miles did you have on your engine OG engine ?

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement