Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual or PDK opinion

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 01:25 PM
italiafan
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 20 Posts

I haven't posted in a long time, mostly play around with Ferraris.
I have an order in for a new GT3...and I specified manual.
I have a 'vette Z06 with Z07 package and a manual...and after all the DCTs I've ben using really miss the involvement of a manual, so much fun.
I suspect a manual GT3 will remain an epic car for many many years.

Now..if I can only get my PTS color I will be "winner winner chicken dinner!"
Old 08-29-2017, 02:13 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Excuse me while I whip this out...
Old 08-29-2017, 02:29 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

Over my many years on Rennlist,I do not recall a single poster saying he/she got the manual and he/she now regrets that decision,but I've seen plenty saying the opposite.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:37 PM
PwAg
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Manual without question for me. The shift gate action in GT4/911R = perfection.

Before starting a new thread about it, can any manual build guys confirm that the Auto Rev Match feature does NOT require Sports Chrono? It was a required option in other models such at GT4. My local dealer does not seem to have a confident answer (yet).
Old 08-29-2017, 02:50 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by PwAg
Manual without question for me. The shift gate action in GT4/911R = perfection.

Before starting a new thread about it, can any manual build guys confirm that the Auto Rev Match feature does NOT require Sports Chrono? It was a required option in other models such at GT4. My local dealer does not seem to have a confident answer (yet).
You are mistaking. Sport Chrono was never " required " in the GT4. As a matter of fact,the only thing Sport Chrono brought in the GT4 was a fancy stop watch. Even the dynamic engine mounts came standard.
Sport Chrono was a very important option on the early 991s,if you wanted dynamic engine mounts,the stop watch and rev matching on manual cars.
ALL GT CARS COME WITH THOSE OPTIONS INCLUDED,except the stop watch and track app.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:54 PM
RODOLFO04
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will leave this analogy here

I prefere to do a fast lap in EXPERT MODE

than being the fastest in NOVICE MODE

it is just more rewarding for me
Old 08-29-2017, 03:18 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
3 seconds over 13 miles, meh... I wouldn't let that be the reason.

Ask your GM why you'd want to have less acceleration in gear or have a lower top speed or weigh down the car with more ballast (similarly tiny difference in favor of manual)...

Just get the one that will be more fun for you
If I want to run through the gears, I can do that in my Cayman. Lots of fun. I get it. Have my rev matching down and shifting isn't an issue. The Cayman will still be my primary track toy.

The PDK on track, however, has some other benefits besides speed of shifts. It let's me focus more on my brake zone, lines, etc. and let's me wonder in amazement at how consistent and responsive the PDK is from an engineering perspective.

As stated earlier, either one will work. It's just a matter on what is personal preference. Just grateful to have one coming.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:35 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm going PDK, won't buy a MT without a LWFW - which will come before the 992.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:01 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,741 Likes on 2,702 Posts

Originally Posted by awew911
As stated earlier, either one will work. It's just a matter on what is personal preference.
Absolutely agree. I agree with your selection of PDK if it's really your personal preference (it seemed from your first post that you might prefer manual, but were swayed by the "faster" argument).
Old 08-29-2017, 04:35 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

My track toy is a manual. I pride myself in my expertise with the manual transmission on the track. I followed a PDK car into a particularly twisty section of the track, with significant elevations during the turns to boot. That sucker was shifting back and forth between second and third around the turns and up and down the section of the track. The engine stayed in the optimum RPM through the whole section. I was impressed. I was in awe. I was stuck in 3rd. LOL. I'm getting the PDK for my GT3.2. I still have the manual with the Boxster for canyon drives.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:40 PM
PwAg
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
You are mistaking. Sport Chrono was never " required " in the GT4. As a matter of fact,the only thing Sport Chrono brought in the GT4 was a fancy stop watch. Even the dynamic engine mounts came standard.
Sport Chrono was a very important option on the early 991s,if you wanted dynamic engine mounts,the stop watch and rev matching on manual cars.
ALL GT CARS COME WITH THOSE OPTIONS INCLUDED,except the stop watch and track app.
Ok, thanks for the clarification! Received bad info from other threads and confused option requirements with reg 991 (as you correctly noted). Did not want Sports Chrono on the dash, so this is good news. Not sure why an SA would not know this (emailed question, so they had time to research it).
Old 08-29-2017, 06:50 PM
2006m5
Banned

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Never driven a gt3 but if i get a chance to buy i would buy pdk even though i like manual.
The car was built around the Pdk .
Old 08-29-2017, 07:47 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
I'm sure self-driving cars will supersede all driver skills, too -- when that happens. Is anyone eager to argue that's a better choice? The logic is the same.

In the final analysis, shifting gears is more fun and rewarding.
I don't think the logic is the same - in a self-driving car you may as well be in the passenger seat. Whether you're driving pdk or manual throttle inputs, brake inputs and gear changes come from the driver. Yes you can put the pdk in auto but to your last sentence "shifting gears is more fun" you can do that by reaching down and moving a lever or pulling levers on the steering column. (And I'm not saying one method is better than the other - each to their own)
Old 08-29-2017, 07:53 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,741 Likes on 2,702 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006m5
Never driven a gt3 but if i get a chance to buy i would buy pdk even though i like manual.
The car was built around the Pdk .
Actually the car was built around both PDK and Manual gearboxes and the decision to offer PDK only in the 991.1 GT3 was made fairly late in the process.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:49 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I prefer to play golf with persimmon woods because I can feel the ball better and its traditional. If I was competing I would use the latest equipment, but since I don't compete, I prefer old school.

I don't use index shifting on my bike either. I like the ability to feel my gear shifts and its traditional and I'm just riding for exercise, not competing.

Since I will just use my GT3 to go get coffee and not as it was intended, for the track, I will get manual.

Quick Reply: Manual or PDK opinion